Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options

Sham 69 at Reading tomorrow. I hope that they last longer than they did the last time I saw them, which was their "Last Stand" at the Rainbow about 40 years ago

Jimmy Pursey must be 97. I see UK Subs are still going as well.
    Charlie Harper must be in his late 70’s now ... terrific band.
  • Options
    Just two curious questions.

One, are you allowed to take bottled water with you to a show in a venue like say O2? Recently I went to a gig at Shanghai's Mercedes-Benz Arena, a venue similar to your O2 with a smaller capacity (18k) and was told bottled water is not allowed.

Two, what are the ticket prices in general for live shows in a venue like O2 in the UK? I know different seats, different venues, and different performers all have different prices. But I'm a newcomer to this thing - I watch a lot of live shows of singers/bands I like (mainly British or American) but have only started to go to gigs here in China recently because western bands rarely come to China, especially those who I like. And I noticed tickets are quite expensive. For example Owl City (an American singer and I'm not interested) is coming to Shanghai and the ticket is priced at RMB680 (£76). Sam Smith just performed at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai and the tickets were priced from RMB480 - RMB1880 (£54 - £210). And last year Shanghai's Real GDP per capita is RMB120k (£13k). Tickets here are a bit expensive I think?
  • Options

Sham 69 at Reading tomorrow. I hope that they last longer than they did the last time I saw them, which was their "Last Stand" at the Rainbow about 40 years ago

Unfortunately I made the error of going to see them circa ‘78 at the Roundhouse. They attracted a very unsavoury crowd and rumours of knives in the audience spread like wildfire. I retreated upstairs, the band had to stop performing several times due to the violence. A nightmare experience!
    This last week I had a wonderful time watching King Crimson in Bournemouth, 3 drummers at front of stage, 5 other musicians behind them on a raised area. Polyrhythmic, different from anything I’ve ever seen before and I’ve been going to gigs since’74.
  • Options
    Went to see Bob Wayne in Loule last week. Absolutely brilliant €6 in, won't be that cheap at Islington O2, on Thursday, but if you like country rock, do yourself a favour and get down there.
  • Options
    Interesting thing on Danny Baker’s show yesterday morning. What us the longest gap between seeing an artist / band. Some claimed 46 years or so. I must have got close with Cockney Rebel but I don’t know the precise dates.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

One, are you allowed to take bottled water with you to a show in a venue like say O2? Recently I went to a gig at Shanghai's Mercedes-Benz Arena, a venue similar to your O2 with a smaller capacity (18k) and was told bottled water is not allowed.

Two, what are the ticket prices in general for live shows in a venue like O2 in the UK? I know different seats, different venues, and different performers all have different prices. But I'm a newcomer to this thing - I watch a lot of live shows of singers/bands I like (mainly British or American) but have only started to go to gigs here in China recently because western bands rarely come to China, especially those who I like. And I noticed tickets are quite expensive. For example Owl City (an American singer and I'm not interested) is coming to Shanghai and the ticket is priced at RMB680 (£76). Sam Smith just performed at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai and the tickets were priced from RMB480 - RMB1880 (£54 - £210). And last year Shanghai's Real GDP per capita is RMB120k (£13k). Tickets here are a bit expensive I think?

You typically can’t take any drink or food in with to gigs here @JessieAddick. There’s a few exceptions, like the summer gigs at Kew Gardens, but they’re rare.

Ticket prices depend on the artist & venue typically. £50-£80 at the O2 isn’t unusual, but there are good gigs out there for between £20 & £30. Have a few coming up...Miles Kane is £28 at Brixton Academy (great venue), The Vaccines £30 & The Villagers £25 both at the Roundhouse.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

You typically can’t take any drink or food in with to gigs here @JessieAddick. There’s a few exceptions, like the summer gigs at Kew Gardens, but they’re rare.

Ticket prices depend on the artist & venue typically. £50-£80 at the O2 isn’t unusual, but there are good gigs out there for between £20 & £30. Have a few coming up...Miles Kane is £28 at Brixton Academy (great venue), The Vaccines £30 & The Villagers £25 both at the Roundhouse.
    Thanks for the reply. The Vaccines are coming to China. I can't go though...

I just looked up the economic stats of London and the GDP per person is about two to three times that of Shanghai. So I figure that tickets are at least two times more expensive here in China.
  • Options

Interesting thing on Danny Baker’s show yesterday morning. What us the longest gap between seeing an artist / band. Some claimed 46 years or so. I must have got close with Cockney Rebel but I don’t know the precise dates.

I saw The Chords this year at the 100 Club having last seen them in 1980 - 38 year gap.
  • Options

I saw The Chords this year at the 100 Club having last seen them in 1980 - 38 year gap.
    After the Jam they were my favourite mod band in the early 80's
  • Options
    Was at Robert Vincent on Friday night. He and his band were excellent. Support was a folk duo from Blackheath - The Kimberleys. Their short set was very engaging, anyone know them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moody Blues @ Empire Pool Wembley on 22/04/1972 (with John Denver)
    then
    Moody Blues @ Eventim Apollo 12/06/2015

43 Years plus - close but no cigar !
  • Options
    ....also......

Buzzcocks @ Woolwich Poly on March 4th 1978
    Then....
    Buzzcocks @ Greenwich 30th July 2011 (supporting The Pogues)

33 years 'ish

On the horizon...

Deacon Blue @Wembley Empire Pool - September 1990
    Then......
    Deacon Blue @ Eventim Apollo 30th November 2018

28 years 'ish
  • Options
    The Joy Formidable last night Excellent show. Music aside, the highlight was the singer trying to explain Butlins to Americans.
  • Options
    Wishbone Ash tonight at The Brook, Southampton. Last saw them 29 October 1977 at The Marquee - 41 years and 10 days!
  • Options

The Joy Formidable last night Excellent show. Music aside, the highlight was the singer trying to explain Butlins to Americans.

One of my favourites. They were very good on this side of the pond a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    addickson said:

Was at Robert Vincent on Friday night. He and his band were excellent. Support was a folk duo from Blackheath - The Kimberleys. Their short set was very engaging, anyone know them?

Saw Robert Vincent support Shawn Colvin at RFH, thought he was excellent.
  • Options
    I can't wait until Tuesday. Off to Islington Town Hall to see Swing Out Sister Corrinne Drewery is not just absolutely fantastically sexy, but is one of the best female Jazz singers ever.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

My lot are playing at the Royal Standard Vanbrugh Park on Saturday.
    Any lifers wanna come along then come along and say hello, we've even got Goodbye Horse joining us on bass.
    A proper Charlton band.
    Great pub, the new owners are pushing it as a live music venue, and doing very well.
    Cheers

What time you on @Greenie ?
  • Options

Greenie said:

My lot are playing at the Royal Standard Vanbrugh Park on Saturday.
    Any lifers wanna come along then come along and say hello, we've even got Goodbye Horse joining us on bass.
    A proper Charlton band.
    Great pub, the new owners are pushing it as a live music venue, and doing very well.
    Cheers

What time you on @Greenie ?
    Amps on at 8-30pm
    Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    The things we do for love.
    2.5 hours this morning trying to get Spice Girls tickets for the Mrs on Sat 15th June.
    No joy, so they added an extra date on the Friday. Still no joy, so they added another date on the Thursday.
    Deep joy, got tickets at just under £150 each :smile: & :-(
  • Options

One of my favourites. They were very good on this side of the pond a few weeks ago.
    First time I’d seen them. Really enjoyed it. They did an acoustic show here a couple of years back, but I was away for that. The talked about it a bit - they called it the comedy show.
  • Options
    No gigs lined up until March, smiths v oasis tribute at 229 venue
  • Options

2.5 hours this morning trying to get Spice Girls tickets for the Mrs on Sat 15th June.
    No joy, so they added an extra date on the Friday. Still no joy, so they added another date on the Thursday.

How much ! Christ for the Spice Girls and two extra nights ! Has the world gone mad.
  • Options

How much ! Christ for the Spice Girls and two extra nights ! Has the world gone mad.
    And they are in the "middle" tier as well, near the corner flag ! Daylight robbery.
  • Options
    Bit busy for gigs this past week

Band-Maid on Saturday, who were excellent. After years of going to gigs and having various guitar picks lobbed in my general direction at the end of shows, I finally managed to nab one from bass playing goddess Misa, so I can die a happy man now.

All-dayer on Sunday with tricot as headliner. If you ever get the chance, see them live. They're so good it's almost not fair. Some of the support acts were decent too.
    I'd sort of dismissed Itoldyouiwouldeatyou as just another 10 a penny indie band but they're actually pretty good live.
    Holding Patterns are Derby's version of Buffalo Tom.

Lovebites on Wednesday. Japanese metal band with ridiculously good guitarists.

Was thinking of going to see Piroshka next week but left it too late and now it's sold out. At least I can give my poor ears a rest.
  • Options
    I saw Metric at the O2 Forum Kentish Town on Tuesday. Decent band and good to watch live. I saw Unknown Mortal Orchestra in Brighton last night - I left halfway through.
  • Options

Worth it at half the price just to leer over baby spice.
  • Options
    Bicep live at Printworks last night - unreal
  • Options

Worth it at half the price just to leer over baby spice.
    Have you seen her recently?