Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

21 Counties with only 1 English league club

Comments

• Options
    Was gonna say Durham thinking of Darlington but seen theyve folded. Shame how many old clubs have gone under relatively unnoticed
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Leuth said:

We got West Sussex too, and Cheshire

West Sussex?
    Which club is that then?
  • Options

Northumberland .. Newcastle
    Wearside .. Sunderland

The county is Tyne and Wear for those two.
    I think.
  • Options

So, of the 21 counties with only one team currently in the league I think we have
    the following 15.

Kent
    Leicestershire
    Gloucestershire
    East Yorkshire
    Norfolk
    Suffolk
    Cumbria
    Oxfordshire
    Berkshire
    Somerset
    East Sussex
    Cambridgeshire
    Dorset
    Berkshire
    Clwyd

But the original question was about counties that have only ever had one league team.
    No it wasn't, that was a supplementary, as a quick look at the post will reveal.
  • Options

Bedfordshire .. Luton

Yes for 17

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Gwent ? Newport, Glamorgan Swansea

You need to be a tad more specific.
  • Options

N E Lincs has Grimsby
    N Lincs has Scunthorpe
    Lincs has ad Lincoln & Boston

You are just inventing counties now.....
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Cleveland has 1 .. Middlesbrough

Which county is Middlesborough FC in?
    Not Cleveland as far as I've searched. I may be wrong.

Their current Wiki page is informative

Middlesbrough F.C.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Not to be confused with Smog City A.F.C.
    Middlesbrough F.C.
    Middlesbrough Football Club Crest
    Full name Middlesbrough Football Club
    Nickname(s) The Boro, The Rapists Smoggies[1][2][3][4]
    Short name MFC, Boro, MID
    Founded 1876; 140 years ago
    Ground Riverside Stadium
    Capacity 33,746[5]
    Owner Steve Gibson
    Chairman Steve Gibson
    Head Coach Aitor Karanka
    League Premier League
    2015–16 Championship, 2nd (promoted)
    Website Club home page

Home colours

Away colours
    Current season
    Middlesbrough Football Club (/ˈmɪdəlzbrə/) is a "professional football team" with no history, with rapista for fans and have absolutely nothing to their name apart from some shitty ground and a couple of nonce fans they have played at the Riverside Stadium since 1995,[6] their second ground since turning professional in 1889. They played at Ayresome Park for 92 years, from 1903 to 1995.

They were one of the founding members of the Premier League in 1992 and became one of the first clubs to be relegated from it following the 1992/93 season. The club's main rivals are Sunderland and Newcastle United. There is also a rivalry with fellow Yorkshire club Leeds United.[7]
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Also, I got Northamptonshire

Yes for 18.
  • Options

CH4RLTON said:

gwent can only be gwent surley in terms of swanse west glamorginshire???????????????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

West Sussex?
    Which club is that then?
    Crawley Town.
  • Options

Leuth said:

West Sussex?
    Which club is that then?
    Crawley Town.
    Correct for 19
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    CH4RLTON said:

CH4RLTON said:

gwent can only be gwent surley in terms of swanse west glamorginshire???????????????
    West Glamorgan and Swansea is correct for 20.

Gwent is correct for 21.

And there is a bonus 22nd county with only one team!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Wrexham....Clwyd?
  • Options

Wrexham....Clwyd?

http://forum.charltonlife.com/post/quote/75731/Comment_2695601
    Wrexham? Bloody ruins them.
    But already in.
    you are in the right area though!
  • Options
    Did anyone say Durham with Hartlepool?
    Or South Glamorgan for Cardiff
    Or Wiltshire for Sweden?

So because I cant add up, that may be 24 counties (21 English) with only one league team representing them.

So far Herefordshire and Worcestershire with only one team ever representing them, but to be honest I dont know the real answer to this perplexity.
  • Options

Or Wiltshire for Sweden?

So because I cant add up, that may be 24 counties (21 English) with only one league team representing them.

So far Herefordshire and Worcestershire with only one team ever representing them, but to be honest I dont know the real answer to this perplexity.

Yeah I mentioned all three Welsh clubs ages ago!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Anyone mentioned Chester?.......Just noticed they have.
  • Options
    Berkshire- Reading?
  • Options
    Wiltshire/ Swindon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So, of the 21 counties with only one team currently in the league I think we have
    the following 15.

Kent
    Leicestershire
    Gloucestershire
    East Yorkshire
    Norfolk
    Suffolk
    Cumbria
    Oxfordshire
    Berkshire
    Somerset
    East Sussex
    Cambridgeshire
    Dorset
    Berkshire
    Clwyd

But the original question was about counties that have only ever had one league team.
    No it wasn't, that was a supplementary, as a quick look at the post will reveal.
    @A-R-T-H-U-R The way it was written with the 'But...' made it look like you were asking for answers to only the second question.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

N E Lincs has Grimsby
    N Lincs has Scunthorpe

no .. these are actual 'counties; hived off from Lincolnshire, just as Avon from Somerset, Tyne and Wear from Northumberland and Durham, the various Yorkshires converted from 'ridings', Greater Manchester from Lancashire, Greater London from the home counties and so on .. get up to date mate @A-R-T-H-U-R
    BUT ... if you're talking 'traditional counties' then I would agree .. but that omits Hull, as 'East Yorkshire' is also a recently manufactured county, converted from 'The East Riding of Yorkshire'
  • Options

Or Wiltshire for Sweden?

Yeah I mentioned all three Welsh clubs ages ago!!!
    Didn't see South Glamorgan
  • Options

N E Lincs has Grimsby
    N Lincs has Scunthorpe

no .. these are actual 'counties; hived off from Lincolnshire, just as Avon from Somerset, Tyne and Wear from Northumberland and Durham, the various Yorkshires converted from 'ridings', Greater Manchester from Lancashire, Greater London from the home counties and so on .. get up to date mate @A-R-T-H-U-R
    BUT ... if you're talking 'traditional counties' then I would agree .. but that omits Hull, as 'East Yorkshire' is also a recently manufactured county, converted from 'The East Riding of Yorkshire'
    Are you possibly confusing Unitory Authorities with actual counties?
  • Options

N E Lincs has Grimsby
    N Lincs has Scunthorpe

a county is a county is a county .. see this complicated but comprehensive wiki entry .. incidentally, the article mentions south and north Humberside .. now renamed East Yorkshire and N E Lincolnshire .. just an example of recent and probably unnoticed changes (who cares about it one may ask)
    This is why I asked the question of whether you were thinking of the old pre 1974 county structure ? .. things have moved on a lot since then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_England
  • Options

N E Lincs has Grimsby
    N Lincs has Scunthorpe

a county is a county is a county .. see this complicated but comprehensive wiki entry .. incidentally, the article mentions south and north Humberside .. now renamed East Yorkshire and N E Lincolnshire .. just an example of recent and probably unnoticed changes (who cares about it one may ask)
    This is why I asked the question of whether you were thinking of the old pre 1974 county structure ? .. things have moved on a lot since then

Perhaps leave wiki alone, my entry showing Middlesboroughs page shows how it isn't always the best source.
    Go to any current ONS page and see what they call counties and what they call unitary authorities

Blimey, i have a new respect for pub quiz masters!.
  • Options

N E Lincs has Grimsby
    N Lincs has Scunthorpe

Perhaps leave wiki alone, my entry showing Middlesboroughs page shows how it isn't always the best source.
    Go to any current ONS page and see what they call counties and what they call unitary authorities

Blimey, i have a new respect for pub quiz masters!.
    I know .. step into what looks a nice flat field and find you're in a quick sand .. excuse the florid analogy ((:>)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Presumably, you would have to count Middlesbrough Ironopolis as being in the same county as Middlesbrough. Mind you is Middlesbro in Teeside or North Yorkshire? Cleveland is, I think, defunct. Presumably, Middlesbrough Ironopolis were in Yorkshire at the time of their existence not North Yorkshire. Rule clarification needed!
  • Options

I meant that where Palace are the cesspit of eternal damnation in South Norwood used to be part of Surrey before 1963? I'm not sure where exactly the London boundary was beforehand

yes - what's now Croydon Borough (and what's now Merton Borough which includes Wimbledon) were not part of the County of London that was formed in the 1890s and stayed in place until the Greater London Council was formed and the boroughs reorganised in the mid 60s.

With a few minor adjustments round the edges, what's now Wandsworth, Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham, Greenwich were within the County of London - anything further out was either Kent or Surrey.

(as an aside, bits of North Woolwich were in the old Woolwich Borough and previously in Kent - but they got given to Newham borough in the 60s)

If I have to think about what's north of the river - the 1890s London boundary didn't include West Ham (Essex) or Tottenham (Middlesex).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_boroughs probably tells you more than you want to know...