Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

21 Counties with only 1 English league club

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

isn't Brighton in West Sussex

Brighton is East Sussex. Another one on it's own.
  • Options
    Cambridgeshire
    Peterborough
    East Yorkshire
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Buckinghamshire have only ever had Wycombe I think

MK Dons
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Cumbria only has one

Although Barrow and Workington would like to get back.
  • Options
    Lincoln - Lincs
  • Options
    Depends what you use as your definition of a county

The historical counties inc. Middlesex, Rutland, Huntingdonshire still exist

Local government shifts in the 60s and 70s messed with units of regional identity that has stood for a thousand years in order to break governance into different shapes.

Cumbria is a dirty word. The historic counties of Cumberland and Westmorland that were butchered and replaced by it live on in the form of various local institutions like the Westmorland gazette and Cumberland sausages

Middlesex lives on through its cricket team

And on and on

• Options

Berkshire - Reading
  • Options

Lincoln - Lincs

Grimsby
  • Options
    iainment said:

Has Cornwall had a league club?

Nope... Truro City is their closest attempt so far (Conference South)
  • Options
    Herefordshire don't have a league club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Lincoln - Lincs

Grimsby
    Scunthorpe

• Options

Throwing this one out there..... Kent (Gillingham). I could be wrong, I'm not sober...

Keep drinking - you are spot on!
    Maidstone were in the league weren't they ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Throwing this one out there..... Kent (Gillingham). I could be wrong, I'm not sober...

Keep drinking - you are spot on!
    Maidstone were in the league weren't they ?
    Yeah Keith Peacock managed them in Division Three (or was it Division Four at the time) prior to them going bust
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Oxfordshire - Oxford Utd (formerly known as Headington)
    Gloucestershire - Cheltenham Utd
  • Options
    Shropshire - Shrewsbury Town
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    You've got Swansea City in West Glamorgan

Newport County are the only club from Gwent whilst Cardiff City are the only League team in Mid-Glamorgan
  • Options
    Rutland doesn't have a football league team.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

PopIcon said:

Lincoln - Lincs

Grimsby
    Scunthorpe

And in the past there were Boston and Gainsborough Trinity
  • Options
    Dorset has only ever had Bournemouth, which was originally in Hampshire but got moved.

• Options

Surrey? Were Palace once a Surrey club?

Surrey are currently without a league club
    Not sure they have ever had one, though Woking got close?
    I meant that where Palace are the cesspit of eternal damnation in South Norwood used to be part of Surrey before 1963? I'm not sure where exactly the London boundary was beforehand
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about AFC Wimbledon in terms of Surrey clubs?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I said Middlesex

If Middlesex still existed, it would have loads - Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford, QPR and historically Millwall when they were north of the river.

Just as if we went back to pre-1889 boundaries we would be in Kent, West Ham and Orient in Essex and Wimbledon and the Spanners in Surrey. (The Nigels are still in Surrey in their own minds hence why their main rival is from Sussex)
  • Options

Cheshire and lancashire

Even with places going to Greater Manchester and Merseyside, there are still loads in Lancs - Accrington, Preston, Fleetwood, Morecambe and our fellow sufferers Blackpool and Blackburn.

Cheshire has Crewe and has had Macclesfield, Chester, Northwich and Altrincham.
  • Options
    North Yorks currently has none - previously had York and Scarborough
  • Options

What about AFC Wimbledon in terms of Surrey clubs?

Both the current Wimbledon and former Wimbledon were only league clubs when Wimbledon was part of Greater London though
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Chizz said:

I said Middlesex

If Middlesex still existed, it would have loads - Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford, QPR and historically Millwall when they were north of the river.

Just as if we went back to pre-1889 boundaries we would be in Kent, West Ham and Orient in Essex and Wimbledon and the Spanners in Surrey. (The Nigels are still in Surrey in their own minds hence why their main rival is from Sussex)
    Correct. Orient & W. Ham were still in Essex up to 1964, hence the trivia question about Essex once having had 2 clubs in the top division (for 1 season when the Os got promoted). Spurs were still a Middlesex club when they won the double in the early 60s.
  • Options
    Does The Isle of Man count?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Does The Isle of Man count?

I guess not as they have their own League and none of them are part of the English League System

Actually they do have County Status under us... But dont think there has ever been a side to play over here as they'd be a bit like Guernsey playing in the Non-League system at the moment
  • Options
    Interestingly enough Northumberland doesn't have any English football league clubs, but it does have one Scottish one. Berwick Rangers.