Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For us Oldies?

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Being on the March 1967

imageimage

I know the lad holding the banner with his left hand initials are CB (no full names allowed) same age as me and we went to a few aways together around that period but I don't remember that march. What was the occasion?
    Walking to QPR i think or it might have been millwall. My brother is closest to the wall, I'm to his left.
    They look like either DMs or monkey boots your wearing their mate :wink: .
    I think 67 would be pre DMs. Cherry red cappers I should think.
    To match your hair when you had some: )
    Ad it happens, you're quite right. I was ginger.
    Be thankful you are now a Baldybonce.
    I used to have long dark hair now i look like fucking snow white
    Sleepy, Dopey and Bashful won't be pleased :wink: .
  • Options

People with better memories than me have already covered most of the nostalgia for the Valley ritual. One more thing I recall is the first modern club shop, with an enticing waft of new printed paper and plastic emanating from the door. They had a brief fashion for a varsity-style scarf, obviously red, with a couple of white stripes running down the length of them, dating from about the time of the "Valiants" re-branding, I think. I had one of those scarves for years.

The Evening Standard when it really lived up to its name, the local pink 'un, green 'un or whatever that my brother and I used to pick up on the way back to the station after away games. It was my job to cut out all the Charlton stuff from the papers and paste it into a scrapbook, as well as keeping the league ladder up to date. In the days when there wasn't much other info available about an average Division Two side between matchdays, that meant a lot.

Sorry to tell you this @MountsfieldPark but I still have my college-style scarf, and also my red and black striped flat cap bought in Surrey Docks.

After home games I used to travel up to Charing Cross with my mate John, and by the time we arrived the first Classifieds were arriving from just down the road in Fleet Street, say around 5.25. Incredible when you think that the matches only finished at 4.40-4.45.
  • Options
    The early internal pre-season friendly - The Probables v The Possibles
  • Options
    Bumping for a bit of therapy after that rubbish tonight
  • Options
    I remember somebody on a Chelsea forum once had the moniker ' orseshit and hamburgers'. Those two smells always conjure up Saturday afternoon going to the Valley for me.

• Options
    I remember somebody on a Chelsea forum once had the moniker ' orseshit and hamburgers'. Those two smells always conjure up Saturday afternoon going to the Valley for me.

Might change mine to “From Bullsh*t to Burgerboy” 😉