Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For us Oldies?

Comments

• Options
    Dropping Rob Lee 10p so two of us could get in one turnstile.
  • Options
    Anyone got any links to images of the east stand full in the 60's?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    Just remembered why I love this club.
  • Options
    Love seeing those
  • Options
    Peter Reeves, Phil Warman and Bob Curtis. Moving across the East Terrace with my old man late in the second half do that we could get a quick getaway to the car, parked up near Charlton Park and then, once we were back home, rushing to the local newsagent to queue for the evening paper.
  • Options
    Sliding down the heights, making your way to the laundry over the wall into the karzy while trying not to get covered in slow drying paint or caught by the stewards. Plan B, through the players houses into their gardens and in that way. Convincing someone in one of the kiosks I was 18 and buying a light ale, looking the rows of rosettes up on wooden boards along with silk scarves later in the 70s with the players faces on them. Talking to Charlie Wright as he kept goal, talking the talk after it had all gone off in the Covered End and deep down knowing I was off like a robbers dog when the first punch was thrown.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a kid, catching two buses from Blackfen then walking to the ground down Charlton Church Lane and rounding the corner into Floyd Road, mingling with the crowd and the sense of belonging really belonging..................
  • Options
    Cherry Orchard Estate, Valley pub, Wellington Gardens, Charlton Church Lane, Floyd Road ... The Valley ... Covered End.

And once the Valley pub shut, Bugle Horn or White Swan in Charlton Village.
  • Options
    Just remembered. In the early days, using that homemade wooden rattle. What a bloody racket it made. Just as well nobody got in the way of it, as it would have brained them!
  • Options
    Stuart Leary, Sam Lawrie, John Hewie ( he lived next to the ground)
    Then Len Glover total class winger. Matt Tees, Ray Tracey, Bob Curtis, paul Went, Peter Reeves and Harry Gregory all crowd pleasers.
  • Options
    Roast chestnuts on a brazier at top of Floyd Road.
  • Options

Just remembered why I love this club.

Feck me D.

Never thought we'd be classed as oldies all those years ago.

• Options

Just remembered. In the early days, using that homemade wooden rattle. What a bloody racket it made. Just as well nobody got in the way of it, as it would have brained them!

I believe I have still got mine somewhere. Buying bag of monkey nuts, and buying pink classified after 6pm at the top of Victoria way
  • Options
    Being 'allowed' on the 96 (I think?) from Dartford for the first time on my own (without Dad & Grandad) along with a couple of mates!!!!...................LADS!..................Brilliant, Happy times, even though we were shit then as well it didn't seem half as bad!
    COYR.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The same eleven or so turning out each week and most being there the next season. You associated the players with the club. This doesn't happen so much these days but both Curbs and Powell succeeded in building teams that looked as though they belonged together. We are far from that these days. We all know most of this team won't be here next year.
  • Options
    I was a tray boy in the early seventies and used to follow the team out of the tunnel as the red red Robin played.
  • Options
    Half time scores on the ABC board at the side of the pitch.

Golden Goal result on a chalk board carried around the pitch at half time.

• Options
    Starting to go to away games, and what a season to start, it was the 68-69 season. I can remember a win at Fulham, bouncing in their covered end, but the big one was the epic Palace away cup tie with Ray Treacy's goals, one of which like many I missed because we could not get in for ages. Sadly I was sick for the huge Arsenal away turnout that followed this win.
  • Options
    We had our OWN barrier to the right of the uncovered goal. 8 of us.

The sight of the steam rising from the men's bog at the Sam Bartram entrance as it glistened through the floodlights at night games. Oh Happy Days.

• Options
    "Peanuts.Tanner a bag"
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The Anticipation. Now its completely gone.
  • Options
    Wow, I remember "peanuts tanna a bag" would never have remembered that. Shortest tubby bloke selling them.
  • Options

Wow, I remember "peanuts tanna a bag" would never have remembered that. Shortest tubby bloke selling them.

His name was Adam.......but you're mistaken if you think he was short.....I'd put him around 5'10-5'11. He was a bit on the tubby side and had a bull neck like an American linebacker. He wore a long white coat(like a doctors) so you could spot him more easily.....over the years he must have walked thousands of miles up and down those enormous terraces.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

His name was Adam.......but you're mistaken if you think he was short.....I'd put him around 5'10-5'11. He was a bit on the tubby side and had a bull neck like an American linebacker. He wore a long white coat(like a doctors) so you could spot him more easily.....over the years he must have walked thousands of miles up and down those enormous terraces.
    A tanner was of course slang for sixpence (old pence!).
    As well as "Peanuts, tanner a bag" he also used to vary it occasionally with "Six, a bag of nuts", hence my user name.
    He had quite a distinctive nasal delivery as I recall.