Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Slade the Worst Manager Charlton have had?

Comments

• Yes, 10x worse than Fraeye. Fraeye was behind from the start with low morale, questionable commitment from players etc. On the other hand, Slade came in, spent well over a million on his own players in league 1 and has produced the worst performances I've ever seen as a Charlton fan. Against teams like Swindon, Rochdale and AFCW. He's an absolute joke with no tactical knowledge, no attacking mindset and clearly can't inspire the team to play. Simply isn't up to it.
  • Not to mention the kind of teams Fraeye was facing compared to Slade.
  • Dont forget what the players have said about them:

Didnt the likes of Solly come out saying that Fraeye was a nice bloke but not too bright with his ideas whilst he feels that Slade does know what he's doing.

i.e. I couldnt imagine Slade getting sacked so quick at somewhere like Lommel Utd
  • He's not even the worst this year.
  • Was pleased with the appointment of Slade as thought he did a decent job at Cardiff and a good job at the Os but so far he's definitely been a disappointment - even allowing for the unbalanced nature of the squad which isn't all his fault.

Chesterfield was a must-win game otherwise I think he could have been sacked and Port Vale now looks the same given the performance yesterday, even allowing for the absentees
  • Ajose is a prime example of his piss poor management, he scored 24 goals last year in a team that finished mid table...'this season he literally can't get a kick and looks completely demotivated.!
  • No he isn't the worst.

Look at the stats - 4 defeats in 16 games (IE a result in 75% of the matches) and tight at the back, not conceding, despite yesterday.

He's inherited a squad in turmoil, brought in 10+ new first team regulars and my guess would be he's trying to bed them all down, get them used to each other, avoid defeat whilst he does that and revive their morale. The latter is possibly the most difficult bit given how frayed it has become since 2015.

Quite frankly the continued abuse of the players isn't helping anyone now, and never did help anyone.

On the downside.......Slade shows a level of caution that is often unwarranted, and he does seem unimaginative. A typical English manager in many ways........

With another 4-5 points we'd be in the frame for the Play Offs and we all know which games those points could easily have come from.

So: it's frustrating. But he isn't the worst. (And I'm surprised to see Alan Mullery even mentioned in that category in the opening post).
  • Sponsored links:

• sorting out the worst from some of the muppets who've had the front to call themselves 'Charlton Athletic Managers', is not easy ..
    I want Slade out .. BUT he's only been here for a short time .. still possible that he'll be given more time to make a complete loser of himself and be voted 'man most likely to .. NOT'
  • I think we should all leave Agent Slade alone. He's doing a magnificent job of making the regime look even worse.
  • Slade isn't a manager in the accepted sense of the word so unfair to judge him as such.

When you consider both autonomy and resources made available to him my view is that Alan Pardew is Charlton's worse manager since I started supporting in 1963.
  • LenGlover said:

Slade isn't a manager in the accepted sense of the word so unfair to judge him as such.

When you consider both autonomy and resources made available to him my view is that Alan Pardew is Charlton's worse manager since I started supporting in 1963.

I wouldn't say pardew is our worse manager but he is the one i hate the most
  • Slade seems to be a fairly limited manager, but he is at least a football manager.

Fraeye could only ever be described as a 'manager'.
  • Maybe I have been a little harsh on Brussel - guess it is just the current shite climate he operates in.But even taking that into account his idea of football just bores me to tears
  • Maybe I have been a little harsh on Brussel - guess it is just the current shite climate he operates in.But even taking that into account his idea of football just bores me to tears

Chin up bruv
  • We're in the 3rd division and have a befitting manager and squad.

• edited November 2016

Thanks for typing this and saving me doing so. The bloke is as limited tactically as I have seen possibly bar Fraeye. I'm not saying he might not have other qualities, but he has to be stubborn or thick - possibly both! The sooner we get rid, the more chance we have of salvaging our season. Agree with giving it to JJ too. Look, we could give it to a chimp and do better, so let's see what JJ can do.
  • I ask that question having supported the team for nearly 50 years.

We have been blessed with many piss poor managers -Fraeye,Reed,Dowie,Mullery,Craggs over the years and the Network dross.

I should state my hatred for the Regime - how they have divided the fan base and how they are slowly killing our club.
    That said I am always one for drawing a line in the sand and moving forward.
    The appointment of Slade though not the greatest manager out there at the time gave me room for optimisim of a good season ahead.
    Lets face it we had all been crying out for a British manager and with his experience I felt would bring stability and and at least a top 6 finish.
    The spine of the team - Rudd,Bauer,Ulvestad,Magennis,Lookman and Holmes is good enough to walk into any team in this league and probably at least good enough for most championship teams.
    Add in Ajose ( 25 gls last season) Teixeira ( probably our best defender) and Pearce( Captain of Title winning Wigan last season) - that's the nucleus of a decent squad.

So far this season we have failed to beat - Cheltenham,Crawley and Colchester( Yes I am aware of our great Cup history!)

I have seen many a crap performance over the years - but Oldham and Rochdale at home this season took some beating.
    The first 45 mins at Gillingham against a poor team did not help his cause.
    Yesterday just drove me to despair.
    We had just started putting a run together and last weeks performance against a team that seems to be running away with the league so far was our best performance under Slade.
    And so we go to Swindon - having lost 5 out of their last 6 games and clearly lacking in confidence.
    Granted we were without key players - but we should have had enough in our squad to have won.
    But he plays a diamond formation which was never going to suit the players we had available.Yet again he failed to take the game to the opponents and put them on the back foot.I am convinced if we had scored first we would have won comfortably and that would have happened if had started 442 from the start.
    Why no Ahearne Grant or Aribo or start with Hanlan instead of yet another defensive formation?

I have previously gone on this forum saying we should give Slade time - I WAS WRONG.

Its time for him to go.
    What fool would want the job - probably not many.
    For me give it to JJ and Euell - surely we can do no worse ?

Thanks for typing this and savig

I ask that question having supported the team for nearly 50 years.

We have been blessed with many piss poor managers -Fraeye,Reed,Dowie,Mullery,Craggs over the years and the Network dross.

I should state my hatred for the Regime - how they have divided the fan base and how they are slowly killing our club.
    The appointment of Slade though not the greatest manager out there at the time gave me room for optimisim of a good season ahead.
    Lets face it we had all been crying out for a British manager and with his experience I felt would bring stability and and at least a top 6 finish.
    The spine of the team - Rudd,Bauer,Ulvestad,Magennis,Lookman and Holmes is good enough to walk into any team in this league and probably at least good enough for most championship teams.
    Add in Ajose ( 25 gls last season) Teixeira ( probably our best defender) and Pearce( Captain of Title winning Wigan last season) - that's the nucleus of a decent squad.

So far this season we have failed to beat - Cheltenham,Crawley and Colchester( Yes I am aware of our great Cup history!)

I have seen many a crap performance over the years - but Oldham and Rochdale at home this season took some beating.
    We had just started putting a run together and last weeks performance against a team that seems to be running away with the league so far was our best performance under Slade.
    And so we go to Swindon - having lost 5 out of their last 6 games and clearly lacking in confidence.
    Granted we were without key players - but we should have had enough in our squad to have won.
    But he plays a diamond formation which was never going to suit the players we had available.Yet again he failed to take the game to the opponents and put them on the back foot.I am convinced if we had scored first we would have won comfortably and that would have happened if had started 442 from the start.
    Why no Ahearne Grant or Aribo or start with Hanlan instead of yet another defensive formation?

I have previously gone on this forum saying we should give Slade time - I WAS WRONG.

Its time for him to go.

Thanks for typing this and saving me doing so. The bloke is as limited tactically as I have seen possibly bar Fraeye. I'm not saying he might not have other qualities, but he has to be stubborn or thick - possibly both! The sooner we get rid, the more chance we have of salvaging our season. Agree with giving it to JJ too. Look, we could give it to a chimp and do better, so let's see what JJ can do.
    Giving it to Jackson would be an easy option to appease the fans and this could backfire badly with his lack of experience.

Having said that we have nothing to lose to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

Its time for him to go.

Its time for him to go.

Giving it to Jackson would be an easy option to appease the fans and this could backfire badly with his lack of experience.

Apart from 20 quid ")
  • no, he's not even the worst manager we've had this year
  • Fraeye was completely incompetent in every way. Dowie was completely inappropriate. Les Reed was the wrong guy, in the wrong position at the wrong time. Pardew was, and remains, a putz.

Slade is not great by any stretch. Is he better than Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Riga?

Not as good as Riga. Better than Fraeye.
  • He's just a fat bob peeters.

Its time for him to go.

Its time for him to go.

Jason Euell without a doubt! Jacko is not ready for such a job!
  • Fraeye was completely incompetent in every way. Dowie was completely inappropriate. Les Reed was the wrong guy, in the wrong position at the wrong time. Pardew was, and remains, a putz.

Slade is not great by any stretch. Is he better than Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Riga?

Not as good as Riga. Better than Fraeye.

Riga
    Peeters
    Luzon

Slade
    Fraeye

The gap from Luzon to Slade is huge!!! And so is S..............novak I'm not saying that it's not fair he's got worse problems!
  • For CAFC since Duchatelet became the owner,
    the worse manager is always the next one.
  • I think he got the team but he couldn't make it play. 16 games is enough for us to see this. Fraeye was a million times worse.
  • Certainly the worst sacking

Dont know if I've ever seen a case where a Managerial Sacking has been handled so badly at the club... Where it was announced over an hour ago on third party websites with nothing on our own
  • Slade wasn't the worst

But he was for me the most disappointing. I expected better from him, an experienced manager in a league he knows well, and with many players he brought in