Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Slade the Worst Manager Charlton have had?

I ask that question having supported the team for nearly 50 years.

We have been blessed with many piss poor managers -Fraeye,Reed,Dowie,Mullery,Craggs over the years and the Network dross.

I should state my hatred for the Regime - how they have divided the fan base and how they are slowly killing our club.
That said I am always one for drawing a line in the sand and moving forward.
The appointment of Slade though not the greatest manager out there at the time gave me room for optimisim of a good season ahead.
Lets face it we had all been crying out for a British manager and with his experience I felt would bring stability and and at least a top 6 finish.
The spine of the team - Rudd,Bauer,Ulvestad,Magennis,Lookman and Holmes is good enough to walk into any team in this league and probably at least good enough for most championship teams.
Add in Ajose ( 25 gls last season) Teixeira ( probably our best defender) and Pearce( Captain of Title winning Wigan last season) - that's the nucleus of a decent squad.

So far this season we have failed to beat - Cheltenham,Crawley and Colchester( Yes I am aware of our great Cup history!)

I have seen many a crap performance over the years - but Oldham and Rochdale at home this season took some beating.
The first 45 mins at Gillingham against a poor team did not help his cause.
Yesterday just drove me to despair.
We had just started putting a run together and last weeks performance against a team that seems to be running away with the league so far was our best performance under Slade.
And so we go to Swindon - having lost 5 out of their last 6 games and clearly lacking in confidence.
Granted we were without key players - but we should have had enough in our squad to have won.
But he plays a diamond formation which was never going to suit the players we had available.Yet again he failed to take the game to the opponents and put them on the back foot.I am convinced if we had scored first we would have won comfortably and that would have happened if had started 442 from the start.
Why no Ahearne Grant or Aribo or start with Hanlan instead of yet another defensive formation?

I have previously gone on this forum saying we should give Slade time - I WAS WRONG.

Its time for him to go.
What fool would want the job - probably not many.
For me give it to JJ and Euell - surely we can do no worse ?

Comments

• Spot on Stevie great post, see you next Saturday
  • We should have stuck with Les Reid
  • No or at least it is far too early to say.
  • Blackpool 72 is right re the 'football' we don't play.Ricky Otto -Fraeye was crap yes but was not his team he inherited.That can't be said for Slade
  • Sponsored links:

• Why is it that Ajose can score 20+ goals last season for Swindon, and struggle to score this season?

He's only one behind this part of last season.
  • Is he the worst manager Charlton have ever had? I'm not sure yet it's too early but he is right up there at the minute. Is he a dog shit manager? Yes, yes he is.
  • Fraeye by an absolute mile.
  • Having watched the game I wonder what the players do in training under Slade? They could hardly string two passes together...
  • No where near the worst we've ever had... Is even stupid to ask the question

i.e. Yes we were poor yesterday but as the SKY Commentators said yesterday, the counter-attack is such a big part of the game these days and we couldnt do it yesterday because we didnt have the pace to get us up field - Was that Slade's fault that we didnt have Lookman / Botaka (as cover for Holmes) and Magennis?

If anything Slade's achilles heal is that he'll look at a game and will try to get a point rather than just risk it all and go for the win.

The opposite to Luzon who'd look at a game and go all out to win and most likely we'd end up with nothing because of it
  • Not even close..
  • No, don't believe he is, but he certainly joined us at the wrong time, it's really make or brake time.
  • Sponsored links:

i.e. Yes we were poor yesterday but as the SKY Commentators said yesterday, the counter-attack is such a big part of the game these days and we couldnt do it yesterday because we didnt have the pace to get us up field - Was that Slade's fault that we didnt have Lookman / Botaka (as cover for Holmes) and Magennis?

If anything Slade's achilles heal is that he'll look at a game and will try to get a point rather than just risk it all and go for the win.

The opposite to Luzon who'd look at a game and go all out to win and most likely we'd end up with nothing because of it

It was Slade that picked a slow geriatric midfield and no width. If there was no pace then it was down to him alone. He had younger hungry players he could have used but he didn't because he's a cup half empty, negative coach with no lateral thinking.

Yes Duchatelet and his minions are the root cause of our shameful predicament but what happens on the training ground and on the pitch are down to the man Slade. He's absolutely useless, clueless and can't even get the players looking like they can be bothered never mind having some actual tactics.

So who should have played out wide from the start... Hanlan? (Who is a Striker and has yet to start for us let alone out wide)... Aribo who has only played in Checkatrade games?

Yes Slade has had all week on the training ground but all season he's worked with the same tactics yet, suddenly because of the loss of four players he's had to change that within one week!!
  • Karel Fraeye will remain Charlton's worst manager until the end of time.

Slade may be the most 'meh' Charlton manager ever.

It was Slade that picked a slow geriatric midfield and no width. If there was no pace then it was down to him alone. He had younger hungry players he could have used but he didn't because he's a cup half empty, negative coach with no lateral thinking.

Yes Duchatelet and his minions are the root cause of our shameful predicament but what happens on the training ground and on the pitch are down to the man Slade. He's absolutely useless, clueless and can't even get the players looking like they can be bothered never mind having some actual tactics.

So who should have played out wide from the start... Hanlan? (Who is a Striker and has yet to start for us let alone out wide)... Aribo who has only played in Checkatrade games?

Yes Slade has had all week on the training ground but all season he's worked with the same tactics yet, suddenly because of the loss of four players he's had to change that within one week!!
    WE have had those four players available for nearly all of this season, can you remind me where we are in the league?
  • Missed It said:

Karel Fraeye will remain Charlton's worst manager until the end of time.

Slade may be the most 'meh' Charlton manager ever.

Fraeye was shit but had shit players to blame it on.

Slade has some seriously good players at his disposal for the level of football we are playing at and is still managing to fuck it up.
  • Two words. Karel Fraeye.

This
  • Bob Peeters doesn't get anywhere near enough stick as he deserves for the shite, defensive football we played under him.
  • Fraeye and Reed much worse than Slade.............so far.
  • Slade has been atrocious, he played 4 central midfielders (1 utitlty) across midfield yesterday, we didn't have one bit of pace or flare... he doesn't know when to change things or make a sub, and he doesn't lead from the sidelines! He is absolutely hopeless, you can't even blame the regime for the signings as he picked Foley, Ajose he spent money on, Pearce is average(thought he was a leader) , he has outcast Texiera & Ba.., a good manager would first stand up to the owners and say I pick the team and would know how to motivate and get these players to buy into his vision for the team!! He's a shambles and needs to go, yesterday was my lowest point as a Charlton fan, I left when the 3rd goal went in as I just couldn't face the lack of organisation, structure and strategy! Jackson was all over the place and needs to hang his boots up and take a coaching role, Ulvestad should not be out wide!! And Foley & Novak shouldn't be anywhere near the side! Any fan who thinks otherwise needs to watch replays of the Oldham, Rochdale , Swindon and Chesterfield (we won but we were terrible!) game and have a good look at themselves!
  • I think he is similar to Powell as he is good man manager and coach, but not really forward thinking with his tactics and has a defensive mindset. We are also desperate for couple of centre-mids to really control the tempo, dictate the play and get few more goals and assists.

I manage a Saturday side and keep reminding the lads about the defensive principles of the game but made clear there is no point trying to sit back and defend a 1 goal lead or playing for a draw because of that we have only had one draw so far all season, we might lose couple more games but we win a few more as well 1 win is equal to 3 draws.