Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon Game International Week

Comments

• TelMc32 said:

Only one real decision for this game for Roland...

...do I watch the game on my private feed, or switch to Sky Sports for the day. Huh? :wink:

Is the private feed even legal ?
  • edited November 2016
    ross1 said:

Good news for Welsh fans, Crofts not picked.!

Fixed that for you.
  • ross1 said:

Good news, Croft not picked for Wales (now take cover)!

He wasnt instantly picked last time... Instead was called up to cover a late injury
  • MrOneLung said:

TelMc32 said:

Only one real decision for this game for Roland...

...do I watch the game on my private feed, or switch to Sky Sports for the day. Huh? :wink:

Is the private feed even legal ?
    Ask Sue.
  • Nathan Thompson exits the Eastleigh cup game with a pulled hamstring, I doubt he'll play next Saturday
  • Swindon have one Iraqi international, Yaser Kasim, who may also get called up.

Easily their best player so let's hope so.
    Should he be on our rada?
  • I think we can safely say that Slade will have his instructions to play Konsa in this match. A bit more publicity for him before the January transfer window opens should help get his fee up a bit when he is sold.

You seriously think that any club with decent scouts doesn't already know about him?

I hardly think he needs a game on sky to make other clubs aware of him.
    Think he is confusing clubs with decen scouts with our method. A clown with a spreadsheet.
  • Taking the piss a bit with 25 quid a ticket aren't they?
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got no hope for this game, especially if Holmes isn't fit enough to start
  • So two of our best players missing plus one other with potential ( if Slade ever gives him a chance) only at Charlton.
  • I've got no hope for this game, especially if Holmes isn't fit enough to start

I wouldn't panic too much, Swindon aren't great.

Quite why Slade picked Holmes - who spends most games getting kicked from pillar to post - on Saturday when he had Lookman and/or Botaka as more than capable alternatives is a mystery to me.
  • Whats worse is the fact that yes... Magennis and Botaka are playing in World Cup Qualifiers

But Lookman could be playing in Friendlies against South Korea, Iran and Nigeria... The kids are at most 20-years old and rather than playing just ONE game this week, Lookman etc. are potentially having to play THREE!!
  • Whats worse is the fact that yes... Magennis and Botaka are playing in World Cup Qualifiers

But Lookman could be playing in Friendlies against South Korea, Iran and Nigeria... The kids are at most 20-years old and rather than playing just ONE game this week, Lookman etc. are potentially having to play THREE!!

Isn't it in South Korea too - so there's some pretty major travel time required. It's pretty poor that England have called up lads that are playing regular first team football for their clubs to play in a youth team friendly tournament mid-season on the other side of the world, you'd think common sense would dictate that they should only have taken players that are only in their clubs development squad for this one ?
  • se9addick said:

Whats worse is the fact that yes... Magennis and Botaka are playing in World Cup Qualifiers

Isn't it in South Korea too - so there's some pretty major travel time required. It's pretty poor that England have called up lads that are playing regular first team football for their clubs to play in a youth team friendly tournament mid-season on the other side of the world, you'd think common sense would dictate that they should only have taken players that are only in their clubs development squad for this one ?
    Only thing is... You saw how Iran reacted when we cancelled a Friendly with them
  • Looks like we'll have to change the way we play for the game.

___________Rudd
    ____Bauer Konsa Pearce
    Solly___________________Fox
    __Ulvestad Crofts Jackson
    ________Ajose Novak

Phillips Foley Lennon Chicksen Charles-Cook Hanlan Ahearne-Grant

Or will we try to stick with a 442 with Foley and Jackson on the wings?
  • se9addick said:

Whats worse is the fact that yes... Magennis and Botaka are playing in World Cup Qualifiers

This IS the Football Association we're talking about, though.

Anyway, I feel I should put in a response to "oh the board are money-grabbing this that and the others" and their general abuse, because while I vehemently dislike the regime, not EVERYTHING is their fault.

- We agreed to broadcast on Sky ages ago, before we signed Magennis and Botaka. At the time, I presume call-ups weren't in the picture, so nothing really wrong with saying "yeah alright let's go on Sky and get some money" or whatever

- Rules state you can't now request a postponement if you've already agreed to be a TV game, and that's somewhat fair enough I guess.

- We're left in an unfortunate spot.

... Yeah.
  • We're solid, keep it tight and try and nick a goal

Ajose (if the rule of the ex applies) will then score the winner
  • edited November 2016
    PaddyP17 said:

se9addick said:

Anyway, I feel I should put in a response to "oh the board are money-grabbing this that and the others" and their general abuse, because while I vehemently dislike the regime, not EVERYTHING is their fault.

- We agreed to broadcast on Sky ages ago, before we signed Magennis and Botaka. At the time, I presume call-ups weren't in the picture, so nothing really wrong with saying "yeah alright let's go on Sky and get some money" or whatever

- Rules state you can't now request a postponement if you've already agreed to be a TV game, and that's somewhat fair enough I guess.

... Yeah.
    We signed Magennis on 11th August... I swear the TV game against Swindon was confirmed after this date.

Edit nope your right... SKY confirmed coverage on the 10th August

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2593718#Comment_2593718
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Looks like we'll have to change the way we play for the game.

___________Rudd
    ____Bauer Konsa Pearce
    ________Ajose Novak

You'd imagine 442 with Jacko and Foley wide.

Risking Holmes on Saturday leaves Slade free to pick what comes close to the most negative side possible....

... and he is LOVING it
  • edited November 2016

PaddyP17 said:

se9addick said:

... Yeah.
    We signed Magennis on 11th August... I swear the TV game against Swindon was confirmed after this date.

That's a very good point and we hadn't signed Botaka either at that stage, whereas Charlton's agreement would have been sought some time before the announcement, so we wouldn't necessarily have known we could be eligible to apply for a postponement. Assuming that's all valid what I don't get is what has prevented the club explaining this and thereby avoiding the inevitable discussion that has gone on.
  • sam3110 said:

Looks like we'll have to change the way we play for the game.

___________Rudd
    ____Bauer Konsa Pearce
    ________Ajose Novak

You'd imagine 442 with Jacko and Foley wide.

Risking Holmes on Saturday leaves Slade free to pick what comes close to the most negative side possible....

... and he is LOVING it
    Texeira and Roger Johnson can play as wingers!
  • edited November 2016
    Assuming Holmes is injured - bonus if not. Rudd, Pearce, Tex, Bauer as a back three, Chicksen (for his offensive qualities), Solly, Ulvestadt, JJ and Crofts, Ajose & Novak. Put Ba on the bench! Swindon aren't the best so a result with that side wouldn't be out of the question. If I was Slade, I'd see tomorrow's game as an opportunity to play Chicksen, Tex, Novak and Ba and get them more up to speed. I'm not Slade though, so what he does in anybody's guess.
  • se9addick said:

It's a friendly tournament where we're playing 3 games in 4 days. Apparently we've taken a squad of 24, and 2 different XI's will play the first 2 games then a mixture for the last game so no player is going to be over worked. Not ideal to travel all that way mid-season but it's preparation for the U20 World cup in the summer, which is also in South Korea.
  • Were lose it anyway
  • PaddyP17 said:

se9addick said:

... Yeah.

That's a very good point and we hadn't signed Botaka either at that stage, whereas Charlton's agreement would have been sought some time before the announcement, so we wouldn't necessarily have known we could be eligible to apply for a postponement. Assuming that's all valid what I don't get is what has prevented the club explaining this and thereby avoiding the inevitable discussion that has gone on.

Josh Magennis, Ademola Lookman and Jordan Botaka have all been called up for international duty by their respective nations.

Magennis and Northern Ireland face two fixtures – both of which will be contested in Belfast. The Green and White Army host Azerbaijan in World Cup qualifying on Friday evening, before taking on Croatia in a friendly on Tuesday, November 15th.

Northern Ireland currently sit third in qualifying Group C. Germany occupy the summit, with Azerbaijan in second.

Lookman has jetted out to Asia with the England U20s squad, where they’ll compete in the Continental Cup. They face three matches, against South Korea, Nigeria and Argentina, with those games taking place on the 8th, 10th and 12th respectively.

Botaka’s DR Congo are in World Cup qualifying action. They travel to Guinee for a Group A clash knowing that a victory would consolidate their position at the top of the table.

Meanwhile, Andrew Crofts is on standby for Wales for their qualifying match against Serbia on Saturday evening.

The call-ups mean that the Addicks will be without the trio for the weekend trip to Swindon Town.

Under EFL rules, League One and Two clubs that receive three or more call-ups can request that a fixture be postponed on international weekend. However, clubs are not allowed to exercise this right if they have already agreed for the fixture in question to be televised.

When we agreed for the Swindon match to be shown live on Sky Sports, which was confirmed on August 10th, we had yet to sign Magennis and Botaka, meaning that we were unable to say no to Sky Sports’ request.
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-international-watch-3404179.aspx#YAFMJ6cm1i8ORvOk.99
  • What a crazy situation. Can't someone go and flood Swindon's ground or sabotage their floodlights, to get the game called off :-)
  • Good opportunity for those on the fringes, selected tomorrow night, to stake a claim for a place in the squad Saturday.
  • It's pretty rubbish for Sky as well, losing 2 of Charlton's main attacking players will hardly help the spectacle, I'm sure they'd like to have Lookman on display, seeing that he's just about the hottest property in L1