Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match View: Charlton v Chesterfield

Comments

• Options

Been looking at a uni at Bath Spa, sounds I picked a good one to miss, but we won, and as mad as it seems are 4 points of bottom 3 and 4 points off of play offs, crazy league

Your son or daughter will love studying in Bath. As for the match, glad I didn't go
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    masicat said:

My day was made worse by the sight of my son doing the crossbar challenge and his effort bouncing along the floor.

Following your son's pre-kick comment "This one's for you Bob" I turned to my son after his effort and said, "I wonder if Bob's left yet?" :smile:
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2016
    Tony the caterer, is (IMO) undoubtedly looking into closing the Jimmy Seed stand so that they can develop it and build some flats on it.

Duchatelet doesn't care if fewer people attend the football match because the football is poor quality rubbish. He has a distant plan B, that he he has at his other clubs of developing the ground, which he owns, whilst the ground is a separate entity. Duchatelet wants the football club to be a separate entity, a bird in a gilded cage. Only trouble is that the football in Duchatelet's world is not the focal point of everything but a byproduct, the bit that costs lots of money, the bit that he is constantly trying to spend less money on and drive the costs down.

Duchatelet needs to know that this route is going to be very difficult if not impossible to pursue, and not worth the amount of aggravation that will happen for the limited gains, that they will be acheived. Duchatelet needs to get out, cut his losses and sell the club.
  • Options

Just a thought about the attendance. I saw somewhere ( possibly on the original defunct match thread) a tweet from @cafc that the actual attendance through the turnstiles was 6,450 or thereabouts, which clicks with the impressions of most fans about the actual numbers yesterday. It also suggests about 3,500 season ticket holders can't be assed to watch a match they have already paid for. Target 20k must be thrilled. Manipulate it how you will, we can't even persuade people to watch us play when the ticket is paid for and when under 18's get in for a quid. And next week, we'll be shutting some areas due to lack of demand to watch the football on offer.

Go on Katrien (we know you read this site now), tell us again how if you were incompetent you wouldn't be in your post. You've decimated the attendance figure. Why are you and Roland here?

Yes, but they are the cheapest season tickets around!
  • Options
    Ditto what the above thread says
  • Options
    I meant I agreed with kinveachyaddick.Some people have very short memories of what we have played like over the last 10 years.FFS support the team
  • Options
    @daveydanger well said
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Chesterfield were terrible. You can only beat what's in front of you and we just about managed it, but let's see how we get on against Scunthorpe next week.

I think the top four are probably a good bet for the promotion/play-off spots and any of about 15 teams could probably take the other two.
  • Options

I meant I agreed with kinveachyaddick.Some people have very short memories of what we have played like over the last 10 years.FFS support the team

I thought you would be watching x factor that you recorded last night Stevie
  • Options
    Why cannot KM and even( from a distance) RD see what they have done to the club. The atmosphere in the ground is non existent if not toxic. As you walk up to the ground there is no buzz.
    Even the KM cronies must see the terminal decline.
    What is their agenda?
    KM is not (surely) so foolish as not to see this cannot continue.
    The conclusion must be they both want the club to fold.
  • Options

That was utterly appalling. Seen worse and recently. This was an improvement.
    Lookman fluffed four corners – couldn't get the ball past the first defender – then made the same mistake a fortnight later. Why is he still in the team?

Probably because on his day he can win a match. He's young. Give him a break.

Magennis takes our rare attacking throw-ins, hurls a “long” ball towards the box. It falls short. Magennis himself, tall and dangerous, should be at the end of his own intention.

Agreed the PA system at The Valley doesn't work.

Oddly, thought it sounded okay where I was sitting.

Chesterfield are a desperately weak team, yet we spent the next 20 minutes passing sideways and back.

Or, Chesterfield demonstrated that there are lots of teams in this league of a similar level.

Crofts and Ulvestad are anonymous men. Morgan Fox is a liability.

I thought all three played better today, especially Crofts and Fox.

Josh Magennis is our best player by far

He works hard at least, but our best player, by a fair margin I'd say, is Holmes.

We are one third of the way through the season. We have lost at Cheltenham and at home to Crawley. We have won a paltry four games from 15 in the league.

Heaven help us.

Apologies if my glass seems half full today, but I'm grateful for small mercies. Definite signs of improvement yesterday, and 4 4 2 worked at times. Botaka also gave reason for hope.

Basically we need four or five better players in the January window. But at least the ones we have are improving slightly.

• Options

Awful game, we held a lot of possession in the first half but weren't creating the chances from it. Second half was an improvement, Holmes was getting a lot of undeserved slack though...and rightly made a point of celebrating in front of the few fans that had been slagging him off when we scored!

Holmes got stick like any player would he ain't untouchable , some people to like him some don't ,to be fair he tries but at times he runs around like a headless chicken , instead of moving the ball nice and simple
    But then again we have a few quite similar, he got stick from myself and a few of my mates , but he supplied a cracking cross for the goal and gave the stick back which isn't a problem fair play to him , maybe if Slade gave him a bollocking he might supply crosses like that more often, anyway still a shit performance .
  • Options
    How did you know that Blackpool 72
  • Options

How did you know that Blackpool 72

Undisclosed
  • Options
    I just listened to the 15 minutes on charlton on talk sport on friday on podcast via the card facebook page.One line stood out.Jim whites final words were."If Duchatalet wont come to England I might go to him and see what I can get"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    boogica said:

Awful game, we held a lot of possession in the first half but weren't creating the chances from it. Second half was an improvement, Holmes was getting a lot of undeserved slack though...and rightly made a point of celebrating in front of the few fans that had been slagging him off when we scored!

Holmes got stick like any player would he ain't untouchable , some people to like him some don't ,to be fair he tries but at times he runs around like a headless chicken , instead of moving the ball nice and simple
    But then again we have a few quite similar, he got stick from myself and a few of my mates , but he supplied a cracking cross for the goal and gave the stick back which isn't a problem fair play to him , maybe if Slade gave him a bollocking he might supply crosses like that more often, anyway still a shit performance .
    If that's the stick you give to probably our only shining light of a player this season I dread to think what you'd call Crofts if he came near you. He is one of the worst players at Charlton in a long time, up their with Amdy Faye. If we truly have no-one better than him in the club, we're in for a very hard season. There must be a youngster we could give a go. Slades worst decision signing him as a starter for CM. Someone even gave him an 8.5 on the player marks thread!
  • Options
    Why was Holmes getting so much stick when he took the corner in the second half?. Loads of lads all making a move and going mental at him. Found it odd regardless if you like him or not. He's a Charlton player
  • Options
    Nug said:

boogica said:

If that's the stick you give to probably our only shining light of a player this season I dread to think what you'd call Crofts if he came near you. He is one of the worst players at Charlton in a long time, up their with Amdy Faye. If we truly have no-one better than him in the club, we're in for a very hard season. There must be a youngster we could give a go. Slades worst decision signing him as a starter for CM. Someone even gave him an 8.5 on the player marks thread!
    That first half - Crofts was mind-blowingly bad. Just about summed him up when, completely unchallenged, he just punted the ball into the East stand. I couldn't even imagine who the pass was intended for.

Improved during the second half in fairness, but really just by doing what you would consider the bare minimum in terms of capability and effort for a central midfielder.
  • Options
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't lookman a striker? No wonder he's sulking - he's being asked to track up and down the left and right wings and has rarely been given a chance to play in the position he has spent learning for 10 years. Its not as if his position is already taken - it was ajose's provider we should have signed not him on the evidence i've seen so far. Lets get botaka on the wing, lookman up top and just hope we can stay in touch until we can sign a completely new central midfield. And yes, things are frustrating but holmes is the last player who should be taking stick lads.
  • Options
    Ricky has retweeted this.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Why was Holmes getting so much stick when he took the corner in the second half?. Loads of lads all making a move and going mental at him. Found it odd regardless if you like him or not. He's a Charlton player

We need to hang on to players like Holmes. Why would he want to stay when he gets barracked like that?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

No real indication from what I have seen and read that Russell Slade has suddenly found his ABC of Football Tactics and turned the corner.

We don't do corners.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day communications, and general event management.
    Leaving aside the unforgivable Graham Moore/Ray Treacy situation last year, and the team line ups only coming in until the CARD free programmes were issued, we were told the PA system was buggered.
    The PA System is either still buggered or as I think is more likely badly managed by Mr Adamson and his unpaid student drones. Hearing the Red Red Robin is a lottery each game, and nobody could hear a word Andy Hunt said because of the amateurish incompetence of Brian Cole and his team.
    Once again Brian Cole has the vocal skills of a toothless old crone chewing a double dose of toffee. The faux cheerfulness which I suppose is going on (I can't hear it anyway) during the half time events is embarrassingly ill judged, and in effect quite patronising to the people there.
    It fits in with the fourteen chips, give the supporters any old crap culture that pervades the club. I admit to being rather obsessed with the way the event is structured at the Valley and it is very poor fare.
    Manipulated children waving flags.
    Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.
    Half time fun which isn't.

I bet the team that focus on this side of the event pat each other on the back and constantly speak the mantra of 'I think that went pretty well ' to each other to validate what they do.
    In my individual opinion I believe they are very poor indeed and I would probably prefer nothing at all than the cringeworthy patronising rubbish we are presented with.
    I emphasise this is my opinion. Others may love it and they may think it goes pretty well so I am pleased for them.

Agree but Campbell not Treacy.