Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best and worst football pundits

Comments

• Graham Souness talking on MNF about his time at Liverpool on Monday was very good
  • iaitch said:

Has anyone watched BT's version of Soccer Saturday.

It's awful, can't say any of the pundits are any good, i.e. Robbie Savage, Chris Sutton, Paul Ince, Dean Saunders and the rest.

They all seem to be watching all the games at once.

They also have a woman reading out tweets from fans.

Absolute shit show. IWatched it once and they switched to a pundit for some insight (I think it was Hargreaves) and he just sat talking in half sentences because he couldn't watch the game and talk about it at the same time.
  • Croydon said:

iaitch said:

It's awful, can't say any of the pundits are any good, i.e. Robbie Savage, Chris Sutton, Paul Ince, Dean Saunders and the rest.

Absolute shit show. IWatched it once and they switched to a pundit for some insight (I think it was Hargreaves) and he just sat talking in half sentences because he couldn't watch the game and talk about it at the same time.
    Rachel Brown Finnis was on it the only time I watched it and she is probably one of the worst pundits on either the men's or woman's game
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Croydon said:

iaitch said:

Rachel Brown Finnis was on it the only time I watched it and she is probably one of the worst pundits on either the men's or woman's game
    Is she worse than Robbie Savage? It's nice to know the female pundits can be just as bad as the male ones.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Croydon said:

iaitch said:

Is she worse than Robbie Savage? It's nice to know the female pundits can be just as bad as the male ones.
    Just. Savage like he did as player plays at being being the villain. Brown Finnis is taking this seriously and has nowt of value to say.

Nothing to do with being female, Alex Scott is one of the best pundits around this season
  • JohnnyH2 said:

JohnnyH2 said:

Croydon said:

iaitch said:

Just. Savage like he did as player plays at being being the villain. Brown Finnis is taking this seriously and has nowt of value to say.

Nothing to do with being female, Alex Scott is one of the best pundits around this season
    No I was just making the point that men or women can be equally good or bad as pundits.

Alex Scott is very good and Hazel Irvine is probably my favourite presenter.
  • Alex Scott seems to have moved from BBC to Sky as transfer window opens.
  • Alex Scott seems to have moved from BBC to Sky as transfer window opens.

Doesnt she work for both?

Like Lineker for BBC and BT as she does a lot of the Super Sunday coverage yet is usually part of the FA Cup team for the Beeb
  • edited January 2019
    She normally does Beeb version of SSN on red button. Perhaps only contracted Saturdays.
  • Who are your favourite and least favourite pundits?

I find most of the best pundits are not the ex-pros but the journalists who've worked their way up to the job, people like Phil Vickery or Henry Winter, but in terms of ex pros Gary Neville stands out, Lee Dixon is OK, and Bilic was good in Euro 2016. Le Tiss is alright on Soccer Saturday.

There are a lot more candidates for the worst! Robbie Savage, Garth Crooks and Steve Claridge all annoy me a lot, but the most annoying at the moment for me is Chris Sutton - dull, ignorant, sour, and very dismissive of and sulky towards anyone who has a different view to him (and in doing so is probably right), despite that debate basically being his job.

I still hate Chris Sutton. Why employ such a curmudgeon to what is supposed to be fun to listen to?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    I rather like Andy Townsend.....he’s more of a summariser than an actual commentator though.
    Being a summariser is quite tricky, because they of course have to state the bleeding obvious, which viewers will have seen moments earlier but he seemed to do it really well.
    He’s not been around of late.....used to know him back in the day. Nice guy who really should have played for us as his dad, Don, played many a game for us......249 actually.
  • I rather like Andy Townsend.....he’s more of a summariser than an actual commentator though.
    Being a summariser is quite tricky, because they of course have to state the bleeding obvious, which viewers will have seen moments earlier but he seemed to do it really well.
    He’s not been around of late.....used to know him back in the day. Nice guy who really should have played for us as his dad, Don, played many a game for us.

I think Townsend is the worst of the lot. I have found myself surprisingly liking Jenas recently, think he speaks quite a bit of sense.
  • I rather like Andy Townsend.....he’s more of a summariser than an actual commentator though.
    He’s not been around of late.....used to know him back in the day. Nice guy who really should have played for us as his dad, Don, played many a game for us.

I think Townsend is the worst of the lot. I have found myself surprisingly liking Jenas recently, think he speaks quite a bit of sense.
    Why?

• Townsend seems like a really nice chap so I don’t mind him, since leaving ITV he’s done a decent job of switching to freelance punditry.

Only 2-3 pundits actually offer any insight. The rest are just professional noise machines (particularly that inane twat Redknapp jr).

I accidentally listened to some punditry earlier for the first time in ages and discovered that Graeme Sounness is paid to tell us that he thinks Harry Kane is a special player.
  • Much that I wish I didn't, I think Danny Murphy is very good
  • Interesting that Mark Pougatch is being foced to step down from 5 live

Put out this video tweet saying he is sorry he couldnt say goodbye on air which makes it sound sudden

And then this tweet confirming it was not his decision

Thank you very much for all the kind messages, from listeners, friends & colleagues. I’m very touched & appreciative people took the time. Just so we’re clear this was not my decision but on we go. Lots of love to @bbc5live @5liveSport. Now three dogs need a walk, not in loafers.
  • Surprised at that - he's a very good broadcaster.

• interesting to see why been kicked out.

very good presenter.
  • Guess he'll still be covering England games on ITV?
  • Anybody see Mick McCarthy the other night on BTSport for the FA Cup game?

He was absolutely hilarious... some cracking stories.

• Sponsored links:

He says in the video he will be still be working for ITV Sport and BT Sport.

Lots of people online including Jeff Stelling saying its an age thing and the BBC are trying to get a younger audience
  • Cannot stand Clinton Morrison probably because he is a Nigel but rarely says anything vaguely coherent or interesting. Ian Dowie is funny though, it's as if the person in his ear piece is saying 'talk faster Iain, talk faster Iain' because you cannot understand a word he says and looks as if he is about to self combust. 

Lots of people online including Jeff Stelling saying its an age thing and the BBC are trying to get a younger audience
    Wouldnt surprise me... BBC have done that for years

My Nan worked with Stuart Storey (Olympic Commentator) when he was at the Polytechnic and remained in contact with him - He too was retired by the BBC in what he felt was due to similar circumstances
  • I like Mark Pougatch, could be a long term replacement for Jeff on Soccer Sat 
  • I like Mark Pougatch, could be a long term replacement for Jeff on Soccer Sat 
    Does that exact job now for BT and he's very good at it too.

Pougatch is only 51, so he's hardly some old "dinosaur". He's got plenty of TV work anyway
  • Can't think why 5 Live would dump Pougatch as he is such a coherent and excellent broadcaster unless it is in the interest of the BBC's current diversity campaign in which case we might someone like Alex Scott or Gaby Roslin take over
  • worst .. R Savage .. what the appeal of this loud mouth twat is, god only knows .. 
  • Can't think why 5 Live would dump Pougatch as he is such a coherent and excellent broadcaster unless it is in the interest of the BBC's current diversity campaign in which case we might someone like Alex Scott or Gaby Roslin take over
    probably a question of salary .. someone as good as Poogy would not come cheap