Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• He's now beaten Les Reed, as the Manager with the shortest Managerial Reign in the Premier League
  • He's now beaten Les Reed, as the Manager with the shortest Managerial Reign in the Premier League
    Does he count?  Not sure if he was an interim etc.

Pretty funny he came in, got 1 point from 4 games, and got relegated.  Well done Sam.
  • Cardiff City have named former Fenerbahce boss Erol Bulut as their new manager.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65797283
  • Postecoglou has agreed terms with Spurs according to the BBC.
    Personally think that'll prove to be a really good appointment.  Time will tell
    I think he's a good manager, and a good appointment.  Whether he'll succeed at Spurs is another matter though.
    Yeah i think he will be as well. Spurs have gone down the big name manager route with Mourinho and Conte and it got them nowhere (although Mourinho did get them to a cup final but was sacked before it). 

Postecoglou has been successful everywhere he's been so if the players and fans buy into his way of playing i think they could do well. By 'well' i mean challenging for top 4, obviously they're miles off a title challenge or even top 2. 

He needs time though. If it isn't working after a few months they need to stick with him. He might need 2 or even 3 transfer windows to shape the squad how he wants it. 
    Yeah i think he will be as well. Spurs have gone down the big name manager route with Mourinho and Conte and it got them nowhere (although Mourinho did get them to a cup final but was sacked before it). 

Postecoglou has been successful everywhere he's been so if the players and fans buy into his way of playing i think they could do well. By 'well' i mean challenging for top 4, obviously they're miles off a title challenge or even top 2. 

He needs time though. If it isn't working after a few months they need to stick with him. He might need 2 or even 3 transfer windows to shape the squad how he wants it. 
    Not aimed at you specifically but I don’t get this ‘been successful everywhere he’s been’. Winning the A league, the J league and then winning Scotland’s equivilant of League One in what is basically, at best, a two horse race. If I were a Spurs fan, which thankfully I’m not, I’d be more than a tad concerned.
  • edited June 2023
    O'Neill and Rodgers (for a while!) both did well down here after leaving Celtic.

Celtic were way behind Rangers when Postecoglou arrived too - 20 odd points the season before I think - and he turned it around very well.  So it's not like Neil Lennon, taking over current champions while Rangers were going broke.

• Sponsored links:

• I'll give him 3 months.....to xmas at best. Desperation appointment imo. 

Not aimed at you specifically but I don’t get this ‘been successful everywhere he’s been’. Winning the A league, the J league and then winning Scotland’s equivilant of League One in what is basically, at best, a two horse race. If I were a Spurs fan, which thankfully I’m not, I’d be more than a tad concerned.
    What don't you get? He's won leagues in 3 countries, transforming all of those teams, he won the Asian cup with Australia, he plays exciting football. 

I'd much rather him than giving the job to (for example) a retired pro who gets the job based on his name. I'd much rather give the job to him who can look to build something rather than someone like Luis Enrique whose only success was with a ridiculous ready-made Barcelona side that had Messi, Neymar and Suarez up front. Yes he's a big name but how's he going to cope with an average Spurs side when told he needs to build a squad? 
    Desperation appointment I agree with you.
    His main concern will be to try to keep Kane and Son together and some of the talented youngers coming through.

Tottenham have never been a force since 61.
  • edited June 2023
    AndyG said:
    When you look at the amount of players Chelsea have bought for big fees its ridiculous that the 1st job Poch needs to do is have a massive clear out. It's an impossible task trying to manage the existing squad there
    Pulisic, Havertz, Lukaku, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi, Azpilicueta, Aubameyang, Loftus-Cheek, Mendy, Mount.

That's 10 who will probably be high on the list to go. I'm sure there are others i've missed out as well. 

They've already got Nkunku, Gusto and Colwill to add to next seasons squad as it is.

Not ITK that often but as I said about 3 weeks ago Poch phoned up Lukaku to let him know that he wanted him back at Chelsea. Be interesting to see if Lukaku would rather stay in Italy or come back to Chelsea to try again ?
    Not sure why it took so long to announce Pochettino as manager of Chelsea when it was common knowledge other than his agent getting a mega deal for him.
  • Allardyce has left Leeds... 
    Leeds chief executive Angus Kinnear said: "We thank Sam for being brave enough to step in and do all he could to save us."

500k for a months work is so brave. What a hero.

It was Sean Dyche that got the 3 million bonus. At HT on the last day that was looking doubtful.
  • Four year deal... Sounds ambitious
  • Firstly, thank f its not Brendan.

I must admit, I dont know whether its the right appointment or not.  When we was linked with him a few weeks back, I was like 'oh behave' but having read and watched a lot about him since our interest because apparent, he seems to fit the bill perfectly for what we want and need.  I had the same doubts about Poch when he signed.

He seems to be the man-manager to throw his arms around the squad too.  We've not had that since Poch.
    I'm assuming he'll be given money to spend.  I'm fully expecting Kane to go to Madrid now.  It makes perfect sense all round to get cash for him whilst him not going to another PL club.

He'll get my full 100% support and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does.

At the end of the day, I look at it as win-win.

If he's a success, great.
    If he isn't, its another nail in Levy's coffin.
  • AndyG said:
    When you look at the amount of players Chelsea have bought for big fees its ridiculous that the 1st job Poch needs to do is have a massive clear out. It's an impossible task trying to manage the existing squad there
    Pulisic, Havertz, Lukaku, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi, Azpilicueta, Aubameyang, Loftus-Cheek, Mendy, Mount.

That's 10 who will probably be high on the list to go. I'm sure there are others i've missed out as well. 

They've already got Nkunku, Gusto and Colwill to add to next seasons squad as it is.

Not ITK that often but as I said about 3 weeks ago Poch phoned up Lukaku to let him know that he wanted him back at Chelsea. Be interesting to see if Lukaku would rather stay in Italy or come back to Chelsea to try again ?
    Not sure why it took so long to announce Pochettino as manager of Chelsea when it was common knowledge other than his agent getting a mega deal for him.
    Think it may have been our resident Spurs fan or could have been my other half who said Poch sorts out all his back room staff first before sorting his contract out. So I’m guessing that’s why it took a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I first to say "4 your contract seeing him up to December 2023"?
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Firstly, thank f its not Brendan.

I must admit, I dont know whether its the right appointment or not.  When we was linked with him a few weeks back, I was like 'oh behave' but having read and watched a lot about him since our interest because apparent, he seems to fit the bill perfectly for what we want and need.  I had the same doubts about Poch when he signed.

He seems to be the man-manager to throw his arms around the squad too.  We've not had that since Poch.
    I'm assuming he'll be given money to spend.  I'm fully expecting Kane to go to Madrid now.  It makes perfect sense all round to get cash for him whilst him not going to another PL club.

I reckon he'll do a decent job, he has (it seems to me) the gift of quiet authority ..  mind you he has been managing a team that rules the Scottish roost with few if any serious managerial, headaches ..
    I suspect Spurs will be having a big clear out this summer and his, or indeed any manager chosen by Levy's, success will depend to a large extent on keeping hold of the deadly duo, Kane n Son .. AND bringing in a decent keeper 
  • I just can't see how Spurs are going to finish higher without Harry Kane.
    If Spurs end up in 7th place next season then Ange Postecoglou has had a good first season.
    Amazing to hear what Ange said about his parents who left Greece in 1970 to go to Australia to give their kids a better life, not themselves as work was relentless.
    Postecoglou may be 8th choice but seems a top man who has a difficult job to turn a bridesmaid into a bride; especially as the chief bridesmaid may well go off to Spain where a new suitor can offer Trophies as well as a lovely home to play in.
    this, out by xmas

I think any of us could 'manage' Celtic to the Scottish League title!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I reckon he'll do a decent job, he has (it seems to me) the gift of quiet authority ..  mind you he has been managing a team that rules the Scottish roost with few if any serious managerial, headaches ..
    I suspect Spurs will be having a big clear out this summer and his, or indeed any manager chosen by Levy's, success will depend to a large extent on keeping hold of the deadly duo, Kane n Son .. AND bringing in a decent keeper 
    they were not ruling the roost when he took over
  • He'll be hoping he isn't the next Espirito Santo. 
  • clive said:
    Brownie sums it up lol .. (taken from BBC) .. 'Ange Postecoglou was perhaps the best manager Tottenham could get in their current position as a club.

That's the thoughts of former Premier League defender and BBC Radio London football expert Steve Brown.'

• JohnBoyUK said:

Had just finished 25 points behind Rangers when he arrived.

Lost their captain (Brown), PotY (Ajer), and top scorer (Edouard) that summer, and one of their best youngsters in Frimpong.

Did a very good job turning that around to win the league.
  • Bowyer's agent has been in touch with Talksport trying to tout him for the Leeds job.  Can't see it happening.
  • I just can't see how Spurs are going to finish higher without Harry Kane.
    If Spurs end up in 7th place next season then Ange Postecoglou has had a good first season.
    Amazing to hear what Ange said about his parents who left Greece in 1970 to go to Australia to give their kids a better life, not themselves as work was relentless.
    Postecoglou may be 8th choice but seems a top man who has a difficult job to turn a bridesmaid into a bride; especially as the chief bridesmaid may well go off to Spain where a new suitor can offer Trophies as well as a lovely home to play in.
    On the face of it, yes they will struggle without Kane. But at the moment everything goes through him and they rely on him far too much. If they sold him and got 3-4 new players in and played more as a team instead of relying on 1 man then they could do well. Teams have lost big players before, and they will do in the future.

Just depends on the recruitment. They messed it up badly before with the Bale money, so they must do better this time.