Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    Dagenham manager Daryl McMahon is another linked with the Wimbledon job.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dagenham-boss-darryl-mcmahaon-in-contention-for-afc-wimbledon-job/
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    cafc999 said:
    Rob Edwards has left Forest Green just a few days after winning the league 2 title.

He's expected to be announced as the new Watford manager soon.
    Suprised at that but do like FGR statement:

"FGR confirms the departure of Head Coach Rob Edwards. Rob was a key part of the team that gained promotion to League One this season. We’re disappointed that our support, loyalty and honesty towards Rob has been repaid in this way - with negotiations taking place behind our backs.  

We had no contact from Watford, from whom we might expect less, but in any event this kind of behaviour gives football a bad name.

We thank Rob for all his work at FGR - forgive him the manner of his departure and wish him well."

IF Edwards had failed to gain promotion, the likelihood is that he would have been sacked. He has done a great job in managing the FGR team, albeit a well financed one. The point is that Watford is a much bigger and better known club than FGR. Parachute payments will mean that there will be a chance for any ambitious manager to build a team the way he wants to. Scores of managers young and old would jump at the chance to manage Watford despite the owner's record of sacking managers every few months.
     It is likely that the Watford owners approached Edwards' agent with a view to Edwards taking over. I guess that the affair was kept secret so as not to upset FGR's last ditch promotion/ L2 champions bid.
    Of course Dale Vince is furious that he has been (as he sees it) taken for a chump. As a hard headed businessman he should really be well used to the morals of the business jungle

Well they don’t have to let him he go if he is in contract 
    Like many modern contracts it is reported that Edwards had some type of release clause ..  they can work both ways. If sacked, no compensation is due from the sacking club and/or when leaving, no compensation is due to the previous club from the new club/employer for breach of contract by the leaver
  • Options
    Gary Rowett is now 5/2 favourite to take over QPR… wonder what our lovely neighbours think of that? 🤔
    The strange thing is a lot of our fans would be happy to see him go
    Really? With the season you have had? Think he has done a great job at your place(unfortunately) 😉
    Yep. A lot of our fans think he’s too negative and the footballs too dull. 
    I know someone who is a Millwall and Charlton season ticket holder, yeah I know, and he says Millwall are boring to watch.  
    The good old days, watching Charlton one week and then Millwall the following week. Beers, pie & mash and plenty of laughs with all your family and mates no matter who they supported. 
    My old man is Millwall but used to watch both. My grandad on my mums side was Millwall as that was his local club but would go and watch football anywhere in London. They didn’t care for the tribalism, they just loved watching football. I didn’t follow in their footsteps. I loved the tribalism lol
    Before I was allowed to go to away games, I used to go Millwall games just to watch a bit of football.

Used to enjoy it but it was never the same as watching Charlton.

Never quite understood that my parents didn't let me to go to away games (even fairly local ones) but were happy for me to go to Millwall!
    I'm surprised they didn't insist you go somewhere "safer" like a non league club for your alternative football fix!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    My father used to alternate between Millwall and Charlton, and culturally in those days all the people wanted the London clubs to do well against ‘outsiders’, even if it wasn’t your actual team.
    One event I remember from back in the day was we were due to play QPR at the Valley the same day Millwall we’re playing Boro.
    Our game was postponed late, and we all decamped to the Den.
    The crowd was swelled, and there were extra blue and white and red and white in the ground but not all Boro and Millwall.
    I remember being impressed by Eamon Dunphy that day, think it might have been a 0-0 or a 1-0 either way.
  • Options
    I used to go to Charlton with my old man and then go to the Den with school mates. Very different atmospheres. Ribald docker jokes and much laughter at the Den (in the old 4th division) and more sophisticated Kent people at the valley. Mind you, everyone seemed to piss out in the open onto the railings at both grounds. My mum was not at all impressed!
  • Options
    Mark McGhee will not continue as Dundee manager after the club's relegation from the Scottish Premiership.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61450858
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    My father used to alternate between Millwall and Charlton, and culturally in those days all the people wanted the London clubs to do well against ‘outsiders’, even if it wasn’t your actual team.
    One event I remember from back in the day was we were due to play QPR at the Valley the same day Millwall we’re playing Boro.
    The crowd was swelled, and there were extra blue and white and red and white in the ground but not all Boro and Millwall.
    I remember being impressed by Eamon Dunphy that day, think it might have been a 0-0 or a 1-0 either way.
    Was this the 68/69 season? Being the closet nerd I am I just had a look through our history files, checked the years Dunphy was playing for us and this season our attendance v Boro does seem to be inflated. 22k, in a season when we would usually get low to mid teens v northern opposition. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Was this the 68/69 season? Being the closet nerd I am I just had a look through our history files, checked the years Dunphy was playing for us and this season our attendance v Boro does seem to be inflated. 22k, in a season when we would usually get low to mid teens v northern opposition. 
    Sounds like the game.
    I remember the announcer announcing the crowd and cheekily thanking Charlton for calling their game off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unusual for Charlton and Millwall to be home on the same day? If nothing else, no use for people wanting to regularly see both sides 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Sounds like the game.
    I remember the announcer announcing the crowd and cheekily thanking Charlton for calling their game off.
    Or a few years later, 71/72 season? played Boro at home in the cup. 23k there. The week before we had played them at home in the league and there was 13k there. Would explain why we was both at home on the same day if it was an fa cup weekend if so. 
  • Options
    I am pretty sure it was a league game, and almost remember it was 0-0 or 1-0 either way.
  • Options
    Good luck with that one rangers.
  • Options
    Salford City have parted company with Gary Bowyer.
  • Options

Has been linked with the Salford job. Ex Man U academy player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    MarcusH26 said:
    A change of approach for Barnsley, who've tended to appoint Continental managers and coaches, many fairly obscure
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61497427

Lee Johnson about to be appointed Hibernian manager, so we've escaped that option at least!
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    surely he is (or should certainly be) on Sandy's shortlist ?
  • Options
    Marco Rose sacked after a disappointing first season at Dortmund.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    surely he is (or should certainly be) on Sandy's shortlist ?
    Nah, Thomas has already made enough duff appointments  ;)
  • Options

Salford City have appointed Manchester United Under-23s coach Neil Wood as their new boss to replace the sacked Gary Bowyer.

Wood, 39, has progressed through Manchester United's academy as a coach but will now take on his first senior job in League Two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61529960

• Options
    Leaving aside the inevitable Man U connection, another example of a club going for someone with just academy coaching experience 
  • Options
    West Ham United can confirm that Stuart Pearce has made the decision to step down from his role as First Team Coach.
    https://www.whufc.com/news/stuart-pearce-steps-down-first-team-coach
  • Options
    Is that a statement or a question?