Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I just don’t see why he would go there for 18 months 
    To get sacked after 9 and get a pay off
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I just don’t see why he would go there for 18 months 
    When is the WC next year & when does the PL run from / until ?  18 months would mean, if taken literally, be to until the start of May 2023. I'm assuming they are meaning to the end of that Premier League season - so in effect he has 2 seasons with Spurs.
    Good point regarding the World Cup. I suppose the 18 months/end date depends on if he has the same agent as Lyle taylor
  • Options
    Dave Challinor has this afternoon informed the Hartlepool United Board that he wants to leave and join Stockport County FC.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Dave Challinor has this afternoon informed the Hartlepool United Board that he wants to leave and join Stockport County FC.
    Unfortunate for Hartlepool given that he also played for Stockport for two years between 2002-04
  • Options
    Stockport have a rich, ambitious owner and a DOF who was at Man City.

• Options
    YET another case of someone dropping down into the National League by choice

Hartlepool just got promoted and are 10th and going well. Only outside the playoffs on GD

The finances of the NL must be barmy, in its own way, it's becoming like the Championship, where people chuck money at clubs to get promoted
  • Options
    YET another case of someone dropping down into the National League by choice

Hartlepool just got promoted and are 10th and going well. Only outside the playoffs on GD

The finances of the NL must be barmy, in its own way, it's becoming like the Championship, where people chuck money at clubs to get promoted
    Find it incredible that after all the hard work of getting Hartlepool promoted and finally getting a crack at the football league he would voluntarily decide to go back down to the national league again. By all accounts he was really well regarded at Hartlepool and it seems like their board are gutted he's leaving and a little unhappy at how it has all been handled on his part.

The national league is so hard to get promoted out of given there is only one automatic spot and one through the play offs, Stockport are clearly ambitious so you could almost guarnetew its promotion or bust for Challinor this season. If he doesn't get them promoted this season he will almost certainly be dispensed with and suspect he will find it hard to get another job back in the football league. 

Certainly seems very high risk. I know some would say it takes courage to make that decision and that he has gone out of ambition but I'm not sure I have the same view, surely you want to manage at the highest level possible and to drop down a league suggests your main motivation is probably not football related and more to do how much your going to earn.
  • Options
    Let’s face it he is probably getting a massive pay rise so why wouldn’t he leave ?

not like made millions from the game 
  • Options
    What happened to the "good old days", when players and managers would quit to move to a club in a higher division, not one in a lower one  :D
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Let’s face it he is probably getting a massive pay rise so why wouldn’t he leave ?

not like made millions from the game 
    Average league 2 salary is 80k or so. You'd imagine Hartlepool would be on the lower side so wouldn't blame him if he got offered a major bump
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Challinor is also from Chester and spent almost all his playing career nearby (Tranmere, Stockport, Bury) so he's got the chance to move back home, manage an ex-club whilst earning more money. Pretty much a no brainer.

As @MrOneLung said it's not like he was a top player who made millions, so at that level even if they're only paying him an extra 30-40k a year, it's well worth it for him.
  • Options
    Classy from Stelling
  • Options
    It seems that Unai Emery is being lined up for the Newcastle job. A massive success in Spain, but a flop last time here at Arsenal
  • Options
    Just seen one article speculating about the next Hartlepool Manager, with Nigel Adkins one of the names suggested. 
  • Options
    It seems that Unai Emery is being lined up for the Newcastle job. A massive success in Spain, but a flop last time here at Arsenal
    I reckon he'd be a decent enough bet if they were about 12th, 13th and could look to build, but I'm not convinced he's the man for a relegation battle.
  • Options
    Just seen one article speculating about the next Hartlepool Manager, with Nigel Adkins one of the names suggested. 
    Hartlepool and Scunthorpe are both available, though with his house in Hampshire I imagine he'd prefer something more southern.

On the other hand, beggars can't be choosers if he really wants another job
  • Options
    I'm probably alone here but i don't think he did that badly. They finished 5th and got to the Europa league final in his first season. I think he'd be a good appointment for Newcastle, and certainly better than they could expect to get in their position even with all the money.
  • Options
    LOL if you go to BBC sport they have one top story saying Conte is the manager and then 3 stories down one that they hope to appoint Emery today. 
  • Options
    LOL if you go to BBC sport they have one top story saying Conte is the manager and then 3 stories down one that they hope to appoint Emery today. 
    Different clubs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    clive said:
    Perhaps that's why Jeff Stelling is leaving Sky........he's going to be Hartlepool's new boss  !!
  • Options
    clive said:
    In other words, I was offered more money elsewhere  but instead of just being open and honest about that I've decided to say I'm not going to throw mud or point score whilst simultaneously throwing mud and point scoring by implying it was somehow the fault of my employers who happen to be aggrieved at me leaving mid way through the season.

• Options
    Eddie Howe has agreed to take the Newcastle job.
  • Options
    Eddie Howe has agreed to take the Newcastle job.
    It's a funny job at the moment

Potentially next summer they could have the chance to sign some top players, but at the moment they're in a genuine relegation scrap and few top players would want to go there. Or indeed top managers!

I wonder if Howe expects to be binned off next summer once he's kept them up  ;)
  • Options
    Wonder how many times he'll change his mind 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Really rate Eddie Howe, but I'm not sure the Newcastle job is right for him
  • Options
    clive said:
    In other words, I was offered more money elsewhere  but instead of just being open and honest about that I've decided to say I'm not going to throw mud or point score whilst simultaneously throwing mud and point scoring by implying it was somehow the fault of my employers who happen to be aggrieved at me leaving mid way through the season.

._________
    Clearly I'm not close to this but I do know that Pools have had a really good start to life back in the EFL and his departure risks destabilising this. No issue with him upping sticks for monetary or geographical reasons but don't add to the instability by putting doubts in the fans minds about the running of the club behind the scenes.

Unfortunately we all make decisions in life that will unavoidably disappoint some, but on those occasions it's about doing so with a bit of class and sensitivity.