Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thank you Mr Chairman

Comments

• BDL said:

Sage said:

Why on earth would she suggest that, as in, what would that actually achieve?

If I recall, it's because fans wanted 5pm kick offs apparently

Friday night football as well.
  • B I think he could stand a headlock if it happened --- an old school football chap.
    Footie was on the box and Vardie scored , he saw it and his words were-ish " that c--t cost me £5 million not going to The ArsShit " ( he might not have said ArsShit !)

I think he will take our offer of a few beers at our place , he seemed well up for it .

His son knows DA9 son and we saw a few pics of the family gaff ---- impressive.

• I quite actually like the thought of a 5pm kick-off - then again, I was open to moving to the Peninsular too.
    Maybe I'm open to change.

Gets online iron coat.
  • B I think he could stand a headlock if it happened --- an old school football chap.
    Footie was on the box and Vardie scored , he saw it and his words were-ish " that c--t cost me £5 million not going to The ArsShit " ( he might not have said ArsShit !)

I think he will take our offer of a few beers at our place , he seemed well up for it .

His son knows DA9 son and we saw a few pics of the family gaff ---- impressive.

Ha, brilliant.

This guy sounds great.
  • edited September 2016
    Off_it said:

I've said this on another thread before, but also seems appropriate here.

In.the past 6 months or so through my work I have had cause to talk to two different Football League Chairman (both good guys) - one whose club is in our division and another whose club we played last year.

I mentioned that Charlton were my team to both and one looked at me and rolled his eyes, calling us a "basket case" and wasn't complimentary at all about KM. The other just laughed and described them as "that weird Belgian lot" - and yes, I'm pretty certain the use of "weird" was deliberate.

The point is that both were hugely complimentary about the Charlton of old, but both thought we were currently a laughing stock. So if that's how people involved in the the game on a day to day basis see us - and KM in particular - then what chance have we got?

No chance, had the same response from a scout of one of the Lancashire clubs I met on the train after a game last season who had been to run the rule over us.
  • Off_it said:

I've said this on another thread before, but also seems appropriate here.

In.the past 6 months or so through my work I have had cause to talk to two different Football League Chairman (both good guys) - one whose club is in our division and another whose club we played last year.

I mentioned that Charlton were my team to both and one looked at me and rolled his eyes, calling us a "basket case" and wasn't complimentary at all about KM. The other just laughed and described them as "that weird Belgian lot" - and yes, I'm pretty certain the use of "weird" was deliberate.

The point is that both were hugely complimentary about the Charlton of old, but both thought we were currently a laughing stock. So if that's how people involved in the the game on a day to day basis see us - and KM in particular - then what chance have we got?

This is exactly the problem, players know this, agents know this, the whole bloody football world know we're a joke shop.

When will it end?
  • Sponsored links:

• 3blokes said:

BDL said:

@Airman Brown is this the same meeting where they were openly sniggering at her suggestion to move kick offs to 5pm on Saturday?

That was before Christmas last year.
    I always thought there should be a thread that just listed all the mighty ideas and wise comments our Interim CEO has graced us with over the last couple of years.
    It might cause CL to crash with the volume of posts, but any passing journo could hand pick a few to flavour their future stories about us.

Do it
  • Sage said:

BDL said:

@Airman Brown is this the same meeting where they were openly sniggering at her suggestion to move kick offs to 5pm on Saturday?

Why on earth would she suggest that, as in, what would that actually achieve?
    Her explanation was that kids playing junior football can't get to the game at 3pm on Saturday. She also said that she had survey evidence that Charlton fans don't like 3pm kick-offs. And she wanted to discuss a rule change to bring it in, until it was pointed out to her that none was necessary, just agreement with the opposition.
    Let's see this evidence then Katie, and while your at it, how and when did you do this survey?
  • Think you will find the survey was taken in Belgium.With kids football it begins at 8-30am and goes through the age groups well into the afternoon.

She does not have a clue re english kids football.
  • Kids football on a Saturday at age 6-7, at least at Welling involves an hour of training from 9-10 in the morning. I think this is also the case for older kids.

Games are on a Sunday for the local leagues.

I've been told but have not had a lot of experience of this, that the times are set up to allow the kids watch a 3pm kick off.

3pm Saturday kick off is the routine of English football and the more messed up it gets, the more irritating it is.

A short trawl on Google would help Katrien to understand this point. She may not have access, or may not trust the results due to the number of times she has apparently seen the need to use the European 'right to be forgotten' case. Interesting to see if that survives Brexit.

• edited September 2016
    TBH, most arguments ive seen on this seem to concentrate on tradition . Dont you think its time to 'think outside the box?' - i dont have any problem with a 5pm kick-off, but others might - but dont come along with the tradition argument - look at the England teams performances recently- theyve done really well havnt they?
    For me, its time for change.
  • edited September 2016

I think one drawback for 5pm Saturdays it the away supporters game finishes at 7pm and they have a long journey, also 5pm allows supporters to drink all day before the match, a game against Millwall or Gillingham I don't think the police would allow to start that late

This down to a tee... When we won promotion @ Carlisle in 2011/12 I travelled up by coach, the match finished at 5pm yet I didnt get home until around midnight... The fact we'd won promotion helped the journey home yet not getting home until 2am etc. would stop a lot of people from going to away matches (especially for teams like Exeter / Plymouth making the same trip to Carlisle / Hartlepool).

If anything I'd prefer an earlier kick-off (midday) because for the Home matches the game can be done and out the way meaning that you've the rest of the day to do other things (the 3pm game is almost at the worst time as you dont really have time to do anything before the match)... Yet at the same time having a midday KO again makes life impossible for those who like to go away games!!

And for that reason the 3pm KO should be left well alone!!
  • Sponsored links:

• It just sums up the arrogance, stupidity and mendacity of the woman. Football has been a 3pm kickoff for donkey's years. If it was so inconvenient perhaps it would have been changed in the 100 years before Ms Meire and her genius ideas arrived at Charlton.

Survey? What survey is that? Don't believe for a second that a majority of people want a 5pm kickoff
  • I quite actually like the thought of a 5pm kick-off - then again, I was open to moving to the Peninsular too.
    Maybe I'm open to change.

Gets online iron coat.

And t20 franchise cricket!
  • TBH, most arguments ive seen on this seem to concentrate on tradition . Dont you think its time to 'think outside the box?' - i dont have any problem with a 5pm kick-off, but others might - but dont come along with the tradition argument - look at the England teams performances recently- theyve done really well havnt they?

So changing to 5 pm will make England better?
  • Why is it time for change? What makes 5pm kick offs better?

TBH, most arguments ive seen on this seem to concentrate on tradition . Dont you think its time to 'think outside the box?' - i dont have any problem with a 5pm kick-off, but others might - but dont come along with the tradition argument - look at the England teams performances recently- theyve done really well havnt they?

Why? Any reason or just for the sake of change?
  • Scoham said:

Why is it time for change? What makes 5pm kick offs better?

Why? Any reason or just for the sake of change?
    Its not a case of change for change sake - its just the general reluctance to change.
    Using the two main examples, neither England nor Charlton seem to be pulling trees up for the past x years, so maybe we(they) should be looking to do things differently and not stick to tried and trusted failure.
  • edited September 2016
    RedChaser said:

Luckily I never had my flask with me and they never found my Curly Whirly or Mintos :blush:

Breaking News: Ex-Addick's family kidnapped by fan and smuggled into Highbury.
  • Think she should keep her quotes to herself. It makes no sense if according to her survey that it is more beneficial for the kick off to be put back until 5pm on a Saturday due to childrens football.
    Firstly Kids football is played in the morning only and I am sure the Charlton Junior team set up will confirm this.
    Secondly why distribute free tickets to schools for Saturday games if they are unable to come as I am sure they would still be playing football according to the survey.
    Finally I am guessing that in the survey she has factored in that away fans as well as some home fans that have to travel afar to home games wouldn't get home until either silly o'clock or miss trains resulting in them not attending games and lost revenues.

Whom actually conducted this survey?

Where are the results to make such an assumption?
  • Who conducted the Survey... Well Katrien of course!!

• Who conducted the Survey... Well Katrien of course!!

So she is able to publish the results of the survey online right ?