Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Protesting fans accused of not supporting the team in the i Newspaper

Comments

• As a leading proponent of good journalism it is a pity that you have let yourself down on this occasion."

If you buy the paper and see the different views every week, you would understand the i are letting every type of fan have their views.
    To censure the views of a "Supporter" would be bizarre.

I enjoy the varied opinions in the i just like i do on CL.

I really don't know if Julie Hallet is a genuine fan or a Joanna come lately.
    but whatever i don't want the i newspaper to waste time phoning and emailing every supporters club in Britain to see if the views of one person is reflected in the views of the majority of that's clubs fan base.
    Agreed, I don't think it would indeed be reasonable to expect them to vet every comment.
    Also, think it useful however for Lancashire Lad to have drawn this latest one to their attention because .......

as stated in my original post my main objection was to the derogatory terminology used by this lady in stating that they (the protesters) were 'so-called fans' and the inference was that they were not supporting the team. Yes, of course it does fall within the realm of opinion but it made me very angry to read it and the fans forum gives it some sort of legitimacy I guess which I think in this instance is undeserved as it paints an incorrect image (IMO) of the protesters.

• The point about her being a Plymouth fan (or Joanna come lately) is that - if true - it calls into question her credibility when she labels long-term Charlton fans "so-called fans".
  • edited September 2016

The point about her being a Plymouth fan (or Joanna come lately) is that - if true - it calls into question her credibility when she labels long-term Charlton fans "so-called fans".

Without becoming a stalker, and not being on facebook,
    i couldn't help but notice out of the 20 or so Julie Hallets on FB,
    the Dartford Julie would be favourite and maybe not the Lady from the west country who appears to be a Plymouth fan.(i can't sign in)

As some one who demonstrating at every home match last season,
    including before and afterward at one game plus walking out of the Middlesbrough game, i didn't take offence because i wasn't even sure if it had anything to do with protests, just moaning fans in general, plus the i printed 28 weeks in a row last season words from CAFC supporters critical of our owners.

I'm very loyal to my Favourite newspaper as well as my Team.
  • edited September 2016

The point about her being a Plymouth fan (or Joanna come lately) is that - if true - it calls into question her credibility when she labels long-term Charlton fans "so-called fans".

the Dartford Julie would be favourite and maybe not the Lady from the west country who may be a Plymouth fan.(i can't sign in)

including before and afterward at one game plus walking out of the Middlesbrough game, i didn't take offence because i wasn't even sure if it had anything to do with protests, just moaning fans in general, plus the i printed 28 weeks in a row last season words from CAFC supporters critical of our owners.

I can't (or rather choose not to) sign in to facebook either, but:

Julie Hallett from the "Social Feed" page, the image associated with the disparaging comments about "so-called fans":

Julie Hallett of "Tamarside", Plymouth, from her facebook profile page, which also gives Plymouth Argyle as her favourite sports team:

I don't know why you can't see that stuff if I can, but so what? It is not "becoming a stalker" just to take a quick look at her profile to establish what her credentials as a loyal Charlton fan might be!

Fwiw, I don't take her comments very seriously, either. I think she was probably responding to a facetious earlier comment: "The only person who will show up will be Russell Slades mum, so she can see him being a big boy at work."

However, her comment was certainly taken by later posters (one probably pro-regime, one anti-) as being pro-regime. She didn't deny that, but then perhaps she's celebrating the home win over Cambridge.

• edited September 2016

the Dartford Julie would be favourite and maybe not the Lady from the west country who may be a Plymouth fan.(i can't sign in)

I can't (or rather choose not to) sign in to facebook either, but:

Julie Hallett from the "Social Feed" page, the image associated with the disparaging comments about "so-called fans":

Julie Hallett of "Tamarside", Plymouth, from her facebook profile page, which also gives Plymouth Argyle as her favourite sports team:

I don't know why you can't see that stuff if I can, but so what? It is not "becoming a stalker" just to take a quick look at her profile to establish what her credentials as a loyal Charlton fan might be!

Fwiw, I don't take her comments very seriously, either. I think she was probably responding to a facetious earlier comment: "The only person who will show up will be Russell Slades mum, so she can see him being a big boy at work."

However, her comment was certainly taken by later posters (one probably pro-regime, one anti-) as being pro-regime. She didn't deny that, but then perhaps she's celebrating the home win over Cambridge.

Ok, this is getting truly weird now!
    I had never heard of Julie Hallet but I live in the West Country and work in Plymouth.
    The picture of the lady on the Charlton social feed site who met Russell Slade and was quoted in the i does indeed appear to be the same Julie Hallet who was educated at Tamarside College which is in Plymouth. Also, her fb site seems to show she is living in Devon.

She does list Plymouth Argyle in her 'likes' but also Charlton Athletic which maybe the most recent addition to her likes page - it is at the top and they are not alphabetical.

So what is her connection to Charlton? Is she the partner of a Charlton fan, the daughter of one?

Do we really care? But she did achieve her 15minutes of fame when she became the spokesperson for Charlton fans in this week's edition of the i.

How did that happen? I would like to know that I must admit.

• edited September 2016
    KM and Tony Cahones hiring a social media manager

• Why are you searching for her on social media? What do you hope to achieve by doing that?
  • edited September 2016
    Mountsfieldpark already answered that one Jim.

"I don't know why you can't see that stuff if I can, but so what? It is not "becoming a stalker" just to take a quick look at her profile to establish what her credentials as a loyal Charlton fan might be!"
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    To be fair to her, on reflection, I tend to agree with @soapboxsam . She did not explicitly slag off protesters and it's just one comment. You have to make your ow mind up on whether it was meant to have a wider meaning than "give the manager a fair chance".

My thinking was just that, if you are an adoptive fan of the club, you probably won't understand the significance of what RD is doing to the club as long-term fans do. That was all I was trying to establish.

As Prague commented recently on another thread, part of putting yourself on social media like twitter and facebook is wanting people to look at your profile. I think some of the recent implied criticism I've seen on CL of people doing precisely that (looking at people's profiles) is, frankly, weird.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Why are you searching for her on social media? What do you hope to achieve by doing that?

She has slagged off all protesters as not being true fans. She therefore will come under scrutiny herself. It's the way things are.
    She voiced an opinion I didn't agree with either, but hunting her down, posting pictures of her and so on strikes me as bullying, pitchfork-waving mob tactics. And childish too. You're more likely to become the very thing you stand against by doing that. After all, isn't that what led to the ABC debacle?
  • edited September 2016
    I merely posted her picture, which is obviously in the public domain of her own choosing, to settle the debate about whether she lived in Dartford (or wherever) or not, in response to the fact sam said he did not have access to facebook. The thought I had in mind at the time was to short circuit other people with the same name being dragged into it, like the other Thomas Driesens. I apologise most sincerely if I have offended your delicate sense of decency.
  • Oh I wasn't offended, I just thought it was an unnecessary, potentially harmful thing to do. A concern not particularly countered by you passive aggressive, disingenuous apology. But then again, I didn't realise this faux Columbo investigation was actually a heroic move designed to save countless other Julie's from being harassed... Presumably by you lot.

• When I knew her, she was Julie Hallet-Osis.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Oh I wasn't offended, I just thought it was an unnecessary, potentially harmful thing to do. A concern not particularly countered by you passive aggressive, disingenuous apology. But then again, I didn't realise this faux Columbo investigation was actually a heroic move designed to save countless other Julie's from being harassed... Presumably by you lot.

Do you go out with a girl from Plymouth Jim?
  • If CAFC play Plymouth, in a cup game,
    would Julie have a combo scarf ?
    Would she shout out Green Army or Red Army ?
    What end would she go down ?
    Why doesn't Jimmy85 realize how important this question is ?
    Why has Jimmy85 had a sense of humour by-pass ?
  • edited September 2016

If CAFC play Plymouth, in a cup game,
    would Julie have a combo scarf ?
    Would she shout out Green Army or Red Army ?
    What end would she go down ?
    Why doesn't Jimmy85 realize how important this question is ?
    Why has Jimmy85 had a sense of humour by-pass ?

Oi oi not only is it a Sunday Sam, its well before the watershed for those sort of questions :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:

Their site doesn't admit to it but I expect they are aware of the toxicity of the Meire brand and would rather keep quiet about it.
    Either that or they want to avoid the inevitable disgusting abuse from the 100 rabblerousers of CARD and their ovine adherents.

First use of ovine on this forum!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Oh I wasn't offended, I just thought it was an unnecessary, potentially harmful thing to do. A concern not particularly countered by you passive aggressive, disingenuous apology. But then again, I didn't realise this faux Columbo investigation was actually a heroic move designed to save countless other Julie's from being harassed... Presumably by you lot.

That wasn't a disingenuous apology, it was pure sarcasm.
  • Uboat said:

JiMMy 85 said:

'You lot'?
    I guess I mean those keen to conduct the witch-hunt. I'm surprised it's seen as acceptable, so it must be me. I'll leave this thread to it.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Why are you searching for her on social media? What do you hope to achieve by doing that?

She has slagged off all protesters as not being true fans. She therefore will come under scrutiny herself. It's the way things are.
    She's not really slagged off all protesters to be fair. Maybe it's paraphrased and she's referring to some that go too far.

There's No need to hound/stalk her though - the "i" means independent so you're just as like to get a comment from a CARD member as you are someone that wants to move on

• Swisdom said:

JiMMy 85 said:

She's not really slagged off all protesters to be fair. Maybe it's paraphrased and she's referring to some that go too far.

There's No need to hound/stalk her though - the "i" means independent so you're just as like to get a comment from a CARD member as you are someone that wants to move on

Not paraphrased: this is what appears on the Charlton Social Feed site and it was repeated word for word in the i

He seems a really nice guy actually spoke to him a few weeks back some fans need to give him and the team a break and get behind the team that's what being a support is all about being there through good and bad .no need for the negativity from some so called fans.

I did make the point somewhere on this thread that the same fans forum had carried anti-regime comments as well so we are agreed on that.

In the original OS I wrote:
    It is particularly hurtful and insulting that those opposed to Meire/Duchatelet and they way they run this club should be described as so-called supporters and I would urge those who hold these simplistic and erroneous beliefs to look at the Guardian blog article found elsewhere on this board and read what protesting supporters do have to say and what damage has been done by the regime to a fan base all of whom want success and to remember that some of these 'so-called' fans were instrumental in getting the club back to The Valley.

That was the main thrust of my objection - i.e. the use of the term 'so-called fans' and I wondered why the author should have used them.

However, I am unaware of anyone actively stalking or hounding the author of the comments - those are words that you have used and they are very emotive. So I think I would perhaps question your choice of words as well.

• Swisdom said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fair enough, not having read the paper I was going by the quote and took her comments to take in all protesters.

I would like to know what actions she believes is too far and why she thinks that they are less of a supporter than someone who on the face of it has more passion for Argyle than Addicks.

From comments on her, she isn't being stalked though, people clearly want to know who is attacking them on a public forum. I doubt anyone on here is seriously suggesting that she is hounded.
  • edited September 2016

I have sent the following letter to the editor of the i newspaper, I'll add any reply which I doubt I'll get:

"As a admirer of the standard of journalism of the newspaper I was sad to read on page 65 of today's edition the comments attributed to Julie Hallett with regard to the attitude of some Charlton supporters towards the team and manager.

If your newspaper had done its due diligence it would know that those fans who are against the club's owner and senior management have the motto "support the team not the regime". I was at the match at Fleetwood this afternoon and confirm that the Charlton supporters supported the team and the manager.

As a leading proponent of good journalism it is a pity that you have let yourself down on this occasion."

Sorry mate, but if that's the full text, as you didn't ask for a response, it's not likely that you'll get one. You also could have asked that they publish your letter to bring some balance?
  • Every social media snippet from last season in the i was anti regime,
    this could get embarrassing for Lancs Lad if he is unaware of that.

we are 28-1 up,
    The i might give a column to Katrien to balance it up !
  • Every social media snippet from last season in the i was anti regime,
    this could get embarrassing for Lancs Lad if he is unaware of that.

we are 28-1 up,
    The i might give a column to Katrien to balance it up !

Made it abundantly clear that the fan forum in the i was not vetted by the editors of the paper and that it had carried anti-regime posts and no they won't therefore try to balance things up by giving a column to KM (I realise that was tounge in cheek).

Someone pro-regime could easily have come on to CL and objected to the content of any of the 28 anti-regime comments previously in the i (I didn't know there were that many!) but to my knowledge they didn't. But, and this is an important but...were any of those comments attacking the principles of the fans supporting the regime????

This is a significant difference IMO and.......

I'll try again to re-focus my objection to this latest i posting on the printed forum which called 'some' Charlton fans 'so-called supporters'. People can argue all they like about whether the 'some fans' was a generic term for all protesting fans or relates to an unspecified number. It doesn't really matter.

Here is an example of a Charlton supporter openly dismissing other Charlton fans as not being real or genuine supporters. It is an insult and whilst the poster of course has the right to make it the important thing here is that it was made on the Charlton Social feed site and then lifted for the fan forum in the i --Did the lady poster on the Social Feed site know it was going into the i ----was she even asked?

Maybe LLs inquiry will tell us.