Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phonecall from the club

13»

Comments

• PeterGage said:

Why not buy the £175 season ticket?
    Get to see the game, protest to your hearts content and still withhold money from the regime.

Spending money on a season ticket is "withholding money"? Must be me, I just don't get it.
    If he'd previously been paying £325 or even more then he's withholding money.

• Nicholas said:

Burton Albion I wish

The Fleetwood of the Championship :wink: .
  • PeterGage said:

Get to see the game, protest to your hearts content and still withhold money from the regime.

Spending money on a season ticket is "withholding money"? Must be me, I just don't get it.

I was doing that for the last couple of seasons in the A block East Stand, bloody Johnny come latelys :wink: .
  • PeterGage said:

OK, get it now. If I renew my season ticket for say £325, but don't buy a cup of tea at half time, I am "withholding money". Yeah it makes sense now.
  • PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

OK, get it now. If I renew my season ticket for say £325, but don't buy a cup of tea at half time, I am "withholding money". Yeah it makes sense now.
    yes, but not very much.
  • PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

yes, but not very much.

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

yes, but not very much.
    Just out of interest, financially, where do you draw the line between unacceptable (ie "not very much") and acceptable (ie £325 less £175)?
  • vffvff
    edited September 2016
    dickplumb said:

vff said:

Daddy_Pig said:

6297 still supporting the regime.

Biggest surprise is that this is the first year since he took over that there has been a drop in season tickets.

Purchase of a season ticket does not equate with supporting the regime.
    I understand what you are saying. But I am afraid that buying your season ticket is supporting the regime. I can't believe that over 6000 people have renewed.
    I understand that season ticket holders can be seen as supporting the regime due to the purchase of a season ticket in the first place / but I am not quite sure that it is helpful to see things in simplistic or divisive terms. Meire & Duchatelet have been trying to divide the supporter base from the beginning and would like to claim everyone of those season ticket holders as supporters of the regime but its not true.

At a wild unscientific guess a quarter to a third are against the regime but want to go as they support the club. A third have mixed views, with one sixth not wanting to think about it and I would guess one sixth (that's being generous) are Duchatelet supporters.

Painting all season ticket holders as regime supporters doesn't help. When in the ground supporters are still advised not to purchase anything, buy lottery tickets, go into the club shop etc. Undermining Duchatelet's cash flow puts a hole under the water line of his stand alone business strategy and non co-operation with the ambitionless plan for the club. The best way to encourage that is not to treat all season ticket holders as Duchatelet supporters. Winning over the waverers starts out with respecting and understanding others view point. Being adversarial and hostile to the regime and its plan makes sense but not to other Charlton supporters, you are trying to convince.
  • edited September 2016
    seth plum said:

As someone without a season ticket, Personally I read the posts from those who have renewed and wish that could be me.
    After 45 successive years with a season ticket it gets me like that.

You're doing the right thing Seth. It's a personal--and collective--sacrifice worth making. And in years to come, the next generation will ask you what you did to fight for your club during the Roland years and you can answer them with pride, knowing that you did your part.
  • PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

yes, but not very much.
    So this thread has changed from a phone call from the club to Peter not getting much?
  • Sponsored links:

• PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

yes, but not very much.

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

yes, but not very much.
    Just out of interest, financially, where do you draw the line between unacceptable (ie "not very much") and acceptable (ie £325 less £175)?
    It's not up to me what's acceptable, everyone can protest in their own way.
    My own personal stance was to not renew and pick and choose when to go. I don't buy anthying in the ground, I attend every protest, I bought the shirt, I do what I can.

What I WON'T do is let them spoil my life. I work hard, don't drink or smoke but love Charlton.
  • RanTooFar said:

Redhenry said:

I have renewed. We're Charlton fans, not fans of Roland. I really enjoy going to games with my son and will not let Roly spoil that.

So in other words, he can do absolutely anything he wants but you will continue to renew?

Blind support of any cause is dangerous
    It's not really a cause is it? It's more concrete than that - it's a ritual, a hobby. You wouldn't call origami a cause, would you?

Something like CARD is a cause, and to some degree a worthy one. But it is far worthier a subject for your maxim than those of us who just like watching Charlton play every other Saturday.
  • vff said:

dickplumb said:

vff said:

Daddy_Pig said:

6297 still supporting the regime.

Biggest surprise is that this is the first year since he took over that there has been a drop in season tickets.

Purchase of a season ticket does not equate with supporting the regime.
    I understand what you are saying. But I am afraid that buying your season ticket is supporting the regime. I can't believe that over 6000 people have renewed.
    I understand that season ticket holders can be seen as supporting the regime due to the purchase of a season ticket in the first place / but I am not quite sure that it is helpful to see things in simplistic or divisive terms. Meire & Duchatelet have been trying to divide the supporter base from the beginning and would like to claim everyone of those season ticket holders as supporters of the regime but its not true.

At a wild unscientific guess a quarter to a third are against the regime but want to go as they support the club. A third have mixed views, with one sixth not wanting to think about it and I would guess one sixth (that's being generous) are Duchatelet supporters.

Painting all season ticket holders as regime supporters doesn't help. When in the ground supporters are still advised not to purchase anything, buy lottery tickets, go into the club shop etc. Undermining Duchatelet's cash flow puts a hole under the water line of his stand alone business strategy and non co-operation with the ambitionless plan for the club. The best way to encourage that is not to treat all season ticket holders as Duchatelet supporters. Winning over the waverers starts out with respecting and understanding others view point. Being adversarial and hostile to the regime and its plan makes sense but not to other Charlton supporters, you are trying to convince.
    Thanks for your post.

Whilst your post was not necessarily in response to my views on here, I cant see any other view than buying a season ticket is supporting the regime. My view may be simplistic, but I cant see any alternative to getting rid of the current regime to that of starving them of revenue. A totally empty ground is, to me, a Utopia which wont be achieved, but I am disappointed with the higher (to me) than expected people attending games. As another poster said on here, after the mass and vitriolic protests at the Burnley game, gate attendances this season are higher than one would have thought.

My love for Charlton, and I guess that of many absent previous season ticket holders, is no less than those people on here who state their love and still going. I don't find it easy to stay away (saw my first game in 1954), but needs must IMO.

I have now made a conscious effort to see more away games than previous and will be at Oxford in a few weeks. The real test for me will be next week. I have a round trip of 164 miles to/from home/valley and will rise to the call for alternative shirt holders to attend the ground for a mass photo. Will I go on to see the game - I really don't know. I am hoping to stick to my cause and perhaps be lucky to bump into a fellow supporter who has a spare season ticket, which I will reimburse that person. I definitely wont be paying to attend any home games that does not have a strong protest action on that day.
  • Bring on the protests. When does the honeymoon period end?
  • edited September 2016

Bring on the protests. When does the honeymoon period end?

It's ended, get your black and white kit on for next week's home game v The Wombles :wink: .