Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

In Stadium Protests

edited August 2016 in General Charlton
I was at Saturdays game. I have renewed my ST, I gave my reasoning on a previous thread, I dont need to justify my purchase, and I totally respect those that haven't renewed and understand the call to stay away.

However two things have occurred to me:-

1) That there was no protest songs inside the stadium on Saturday (there was a muted 'ABC you're having a laugh' started buy the 'AIDS' supporter in the North Lower. To me, The Liar will see this as a win for her, she will be able to say "no protests Uncle Roland, look what Ive done". Also because the cameras only film inside the ground then we wont get the publicity that the national press generates.

2) Does, not buying a ST really affect The Rats money? He probably makes more a week than he has lost with fans not renewing their STs, so he can easily cover the losses.

So could it be counter productive not protesting inside the stadium?

Thoughts, fellow lifers.

Comments

• Sorry, how does #2 work? Of course it affects him. He has a million quid less than he might have. Yes, over all his companies he is profitable, but entrepreneurs (if I can call him that) want to maximise earnings, and he clearly has not through his actions with CAFC.
  • I think he means in regards to paying for extra security and measures to reduce the protests week in week out
  • Pedro45 said:

Sorry, how does #2 work? Of course it affects him. He has a million quid less than he might have. Yes, over all his companies he is profitable, but entrepreneurs (if I can call him that) want to maximise earnings, and he clearly has not through his actions with CAFC.

Which he got back by selling Pope who realistically at the end of last season, wasn't expected to leave.
  • edited August 2016
    If the ground was empty. I.e less than 1000. He would have to act.

This in turn would take away KM mandate at the club and in result would mean the FA need to act.

I can promise you one thing we will not be on Sky for any home matches this season.

This is a nicer earner which KM wont be able to get hold of.
  • Pedro45 said:

Sorry, how does #2 work? Of course it affects him. He has a million quid less than he might have. Yes, over all his companies he is profitable, but entrepreneurs (if I can call him that) want to maximise earnings, and he clearly has not through his actions with CAFC.

I think he means in regards to paying for extra security and measures to reduce the protests week in week out

No what I mean is, yes he is losing money, but he is making it back with his other business, so he can afford to lose the Charlton money and prop it up with other funds, while he tries to make his experiment work.
  • No protests because the majority of protestors were boycotting / not giving money or creedence to them by attending.

Two options to cover your concerns (though I expect your response will be for me to "do one"):

a) empty stadium, or
    b) protest / game disruption.

• kentred2 said:

No protests because the majority of protestors were boycotting / not giving money or creedence to them by attending.

Two options to cover your concerns (though I expect your response will be for me to "do one"):

a) empty stadium, or

Let it go, you no why you get told that. Move on, I have.

Anyway, I think in Stadium protest/game disruption work better than boycotting, but understand why people want that option.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is a catch 22- we must stop moaning about it and start putting our brains together and come up with protest methods without needing to attend.

There is a lot that can be done online for example.
  • Greenie said:

kentred2 said:

No protests because the majority of protestors were boycotting / not giving money or creedence to them by attending.

a) empty stadium, or

Anyway, I think in Stadium protest/game disruption work better than boycotting, but understand why people want that option.
    What makes you think Roly is in any way bothered by in game protests when he doesn't ever go to the games? As far as i can tell, the only time we've seen any action from him (as in, him actually visiting these shores) was when some protesters actually went to Belgium.
  • Greenie said:

kentred2 said:

a) empty stadium, or

What makes you think Roly is in any way bothered by in game protests when he doesn't ever go to the games? As far as i can tell, the only time we've seen any action from him (as in, him actually visiting these shores) was when some protesters actually went to Belgium.
    Hypothetically, if Charlton are being fined for in ground protest then I would say he would care.
  • Greenie said:

kentred2 said:

a) empty stadium, or

Good point, but I really dont know his thoughts, lets face it no one really knows what the Rat thinks or can second guess his actions. But not having any in match protest will deffo be seen as a victory by the Liar IMHO, you only have to see what she said about there 'only being 2% of supporters' protesting, she will spin this to her advantage I am sure.
  • c) away games

If you can buy a ticket.....
  • Greenie said:

kentred2 said:

a) empty stadium, or

I get why you think that, but what have they actually achieved? CARD pretty much threw the kitchen sink at the regime at the end of last season, what did it acheieve? CARD got fantastic coverage in the media, highlighted the absolute morons we are stuck with. RD is still here and there are no signs he's any closer to selling.

I don't think the fact that his other companies make money is really relevant, he wants CAFC to break even, there's no way he bought the club for it to be a drain on his resources, the sooner we can show him that's never going to possible, the sooner something has to change. Beach balls thrown hundreds of miles away can be ignored, having to write monthly six figure cheques cannot.

I'd agree with you if I honestly believed our fan base had it in them to 'up' the protests to a level that might make a jot of difference, but we just don't have it.
    All fair points, I think your first is answered by yourself, we wont get any publicity by fans staying away.
    And lets be honest, the reality is that IF we start doing well in this league, its a possibility, then fans will start coming back anyway, that is the reality.
  • I have to agree that I'm at the lowest point since CARD began in terms of feeling like we may make a difference.

I attended on Saturday through a freebie kindly donated and I am actively boycotting the matches where it's possible for me to attend (unless there's another ticket going spare).

I will support any protest but there is a bit of my mind wondering if my boycott is a waste of time as they wont be going anywhere in the next 5-10 years.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

kentred2 said:

a) empty stadium, or

I get why you think that, but what have they actually achieved? CARD pretty much threw the kitchen sink at the regime at the end of last season, what did it acheieve? CARD got fantastic coverage in the media, highlighted the absolute morons we are stuck with. RD is still here and there are no signs he's any closer to selling.

I don't think the fact that his other companies make money is really relevant, he wants CAFC to break even, there's no way he bought the club for it to be a drain on his resources, the sooner we can show him that's never going to possible, the sooner something has to change. Beach balls thrown hundreds of miles away can be ignored, having to write monthly six figure cheques cannot.

I'd agree with you if I honestly believed our fan base had it in them to 'up' the protests to a level that might make a jot of difference, but we just don't have it.
    All fair points, I think your first is answered by yourself, we wont get any publicity by fans staying away.
    And lets be honest, the reality is that IF we start doing well in this league, its a possibility, then fans will start coming back anyway, that is the reality.
    What does media coverage do to get us what we want though? Look at what happened at SL, look at what he dealt with from their fans.

We had people wetting the bed over KM's parents being given a piece of paper ffs!

If we start doing well, some fans will return, for sure, they, I imagine are the sort of people who are not attending because we are in League One, rather than boycotting.
  • I have to agree that I'm at the lowest point since CARD began in terms of feeling like we may make a difference.

I attended on Saturday through a freebie kindly donated and I am actively boycotting the matches where it's possible for me to attend (unless there's another ticket going spare).

I will support any protest but there is a bit of my mind wondering if my boycott is a waste of time as they wont be going anywhere in the next 5-10 years.

The question which no one is asking is 'If we do not get promotion this season what is the plan for next season'.

There is no way we can sustain our budget on even lower crowds. There is barely anyone of monetary value left to sell from our playing staff.

IMO Roland is on his last roll of the dice this season. It is promotion or bust.
  • Sponsored links:

The question which no one is asking is 'If we do not get promotion this season what is the plan for next season'.

There is no way we can sustain our budget on even lower crowds. There is barely anyone of monetary value left to sell from our playing staff.

IMO Roland is on his last roll of the dice this season. It is promotion or bust.
    I agree. Definitely on the last paragraph.

The worry for me though is what if we do achieve it? It will be a great time this season but what next? Back to him trying the break even model all over again?
    I'm not saying that I don't want us to be promoted. Of course I do, I'll always want us to win. But the idea of next season if we do is a worry.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

kentred2 said:

a) empty stadium, or

What does media coverage do to get us what we want though? Look at what happened at SL, look at what he dealt with from their fans.

We had people wetting the bed over KM's parents being given a piece of paper ffs!

If we start doing well, some fans will return, for sure, they, I imagine are the sort of people who are not attending because we are in League One, rather than boycotting.

I have to agree that I'm at the lowest point since CARD began in terms of feeling like we may make a difference.

So we then need a way of getting point deducted.........?
  • Very good point. Reading the pro-Duchatalet semi-official SE7 Valiant page it is very clear that the club is seeing the muted opposition v Northampton as a victory and taking the inactivity as an indication they have perhaps seen off the worst.

I hope this is not the case but the fact that two or three thousand hardcore fans seem to have decided to boycott this season will mean the protects have fewer supporting them and inside the ground will be lower-key, which in turn will perhaps discourage some on the periphery from joining in.

I am not sure what the answer is, but is boycotting (as opposed to not renewing a ST but still turning up on the day) the right approach? Duchatalet has deep pockets and while an inconvenience, I don't think the money will make much difference to him.
  • As I've said before we do not have a single knock out punch that will make him suddenly think "That's it. I'm selling".

Not unless we've got £38m
  • wonder if CARD saying no 'in game protests' meant fans took this literally and thought it meant anti regime songs too? Can't see that 'we wAnt Roland out' and ' stand up if you want them out' would have affected the team.
  • wonder if CARD saying no 'in game protests' meant fans took this literally and thought it meant anti regime songs too? Can't see that 'we wAnt Roland out' and ' stand up if you want them out' would have affected the team.

I agree Large, also when the biggest BOOOO was aimed at our lairey centre back, that takes the flak away from The Rat and The Liar.
  • edited August 2016
    What we cannot do is let up on the pressure on Meire as she is the one conduit to Duchatalet we can affect, and it was clear last season it was getting to her.
  • Time for a boycott I reckon. Long overdue.
  • Time for a boycott I reckon. Long overdue.

A boycott would work if everybody did it. Which they won't.

We haven't renewed and were not going to go but then I thought why should she spoil our lives.
    So, we are going to pick and choose games, blag freebies if we can, not buy anything unless we have to pay for tickets.

To sum up. We are going to do anything we can to get them out.