Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Northampton | Sat 13 Aug @ 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited August 2016 in General Charlton
The intro

Saturday sees our first proper home match since May but little has changed (give or take a sofa). One thing that has altered is the opposition – we go from the claret of high-flying Burnley to that of Northampton, in the third tier for their first time in 7 years.

For many supporters this will be the sole occasion they have seen the Addicks against Northampton, so expect plenty of ‘Cobblers’ remarks as we contend our first league tie in 49 years.

Ricky Holmes made last year's League 2 team of the year

This week's beneficiaries

A shoo-in for the League 2 title last term, Northampton matched their best ever season with 99 points under boss Chris Wilder. Of course, success brings admirers and whilst Chris came near to moving to SE7, he veered north with written assurances of 'coming good'.

In the hot seat then is Rob Page, ex-Port Vale coach manager who to be honest I’ve never heard of but according to NTFC is “an excellent man manager who looks to play attacking, possession based football.” Expect our midfield to be given the run around then.

One thing we can be sure of is Northampton being up for the game. As an ex-Championship side we will be seen as a scalp whilst The Valley, although full of people in red seat fancy dress, is a modern venue that captures the imagination more than places like Luton (as does Baghdad admittedly). They will be aiming to hastily turn Charlton’s followers against the home side.

There are a couple of familiar names in Northampton’s ranks. Town Player of the Year John-Joe O’Toole is one who’s done the rounds and will be the linchpin of the Cobblers’ midfield. He’ll be partnered by ex-West Hammer Matthew Taylor, who I vaguely recall leathering a few stunners for Bolton. Beware set pieces.

Northampton started 4-4-2 for last week’s 1-1 draw with Fleetwood, before going 4-4-1-1 at Barnsley in’t’cup. I suspect they'll go for the latter and lace the middle with bodies, then old Brighton/Cardiff man Alex Revell acting as their solo striker. After beating the Championship side in extra time, you can bet they’ll be full of confidence.

The Cobblers also have a fan bigger than anyone we can claim. Earlier this year Shaquille O’Neal filmed two messages of support for them - he may never have been to Sixfields but he is over 7 feet tall.

More bloody injuries!?

After successive losses you would expect the side to be mixed up. Obviously however, options are limited. New lambs to the slaughter Jordan Botaka and Josh Magennis may provide fresh enthusiasm but it’s the sort of tetchy fixture when you need to start brightly and impose yourselves on the game. You require a midfield for that, though.

Strangely I don’t remember seeing any new injury news so expect a starting XI like…

Rudd
Solly- Konsa-Pearce-Fox
Botaka-Crofts-Jackson-Holmes (add Lookman depending what scouts are present)
Ajose-Magennis

Another loss?

Playing promoted sides early on is never easy so I’ll go for 1-1. Ricky Holmes will have a point to prove and if Roger Johnson appears, expect him to be put on his arse by a Matt Taylor free-kick.

Comments