Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• we are in big trouble if we are hoping someone from Dulwich Hamlet can boost our promotion hopes.

You may be right, although Oztumer was there, and Antonio at West ham was at Tooting and Mitcham. We are in tier three, and he is way too good for tier seven where he is now.
    It would definitely be a punt.
  • Allasani came through the youth system at Crystal Palace, didn't he?

He's a winger who can also play behind a striker, and has played for England up to under-18 level.

• seth plum said:

we are in big trouble if we are hoping someone from Dulwich Hamlet can boost our promotion hopes.

You may be right, although Oztumer was there, and Antonio at West ham was at Tooting and Mitcham. We are in tier three, and he is way too good for tier seven where he is now.
    yes, but you can't expect a kid from Dulwich Hamlet to come in, hit the ground running and fire us to promotion. It's unrealistic and heaping pressure on him. He may become a good player but we need players proven at league level, currently scoring at league level and can't afford a 'punt' although with the 'budget' Robinson will have I fully expect this sort of signing.

• "The former Crystal Palace attacker has dazzled for the Bostik League Premier Division leaders after his return to action following a major knee injury."

No wonder we're interested in him!
  • Not the Hamlet man. After intense pressure which we somehow survived now 3-1 up. One of the three subs scored. Sarapong Wiredu.

Now 3- 2
  • Not the Hamlet man.

And there we were, getting all excited about possibly signing a Palace reject crock from Dulwich Hamlet.

Talk about pissing on our parade, Bolloxbolder.

;o)
  • Hackett-Fairchild needs to feature more in the first team squad. Clearly knows where the goal is, took 2 well taken goals in the Checkatrade game and must be high on confidence. Surely have him on the bench over Dodoo who's a waste of space?
  • seth plum said:

we are in big trouble if we are hoping someone from Dulwich Hamlet can boost our promotion hopes.

Don't forget Ian Wright was spotted by a Dulwich Manager whilst he was with Greenwich Borough...
  • 3-3. Well deserved to be honest. 5 to go
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

yes, but you can't expect a kid from Dulwich Hamlet to come in, hit the ground running and fire us to promotion. It's unrealistic and heaping pressure on him. He may become a good player but we need players proven at league level, currently scoring at league level and can't afford a 'punt' although with the 'budget' Robinson will have I fully expect this sort of signing.

There's nothing wrong with taking punts on young non league players. Pope, Lookman, Aribo, Reeco, Djiksteel, Mascoll came in from non league or outside the league structure
  • Final score
  • seth plum said:

There's nothing wrong with taking punts on young non league players. Pope, Lookman, Aribo, Reeco, Djiksteel, Mascoll came in from non league or outside the league structure
    yes, agree, but none came straight into the first team. we need players to boost a promotion push this season not season 18/19 or 19/20.

• Final score

Thanks for the updates @bolloxbolder

The centre back you mentioned looking shaky was from the U18s so perhaps understandable
  • seth plum said:

yes, agree, but none came straight into the first team. we need players to boost a promotion push this season not season 18/19 or 19/20.

of course, but then not all our transfer dealings are about the immediate first team future. We've always signed young players as well
  • Hackett-Fairchild needs to feature more in the first team squad. Clearly knows where the goal is, took 2 well taken goals in the Checkatrade game and must be high on confidence. Surely have him on the bench over Dodoo who's a waste of space?

my guess is that he would be if it wasn't a requirement of the Dodoo deal that he has to be in the 18 when fit. Can't see any other reason why he is always on the bench but never used.
  • Really impressed with Jamie Mascoll

my guess is that he would be if it wasn't a requirement of the Dodoo deal that he has to be in the 18 when fit. Can't see any other reason why he is always on the bench but never used.
    Dasilva was always on the bench for us, so that figures
  • seth plum said:

There are still some gems to be had, maybe Sapphire's and Ruby's with the occasional diamond like Vardy and Austin. Dijksteel came from the Nike Academy I believe.

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Players who break through from non-League invariably have a hunger and drive to succeed when they get a chance in the League.
    They're not going to let their big chance go if they can help it. It shows in their game.

Even if some can't rise above a certain level or even don't make it, their determination still shows.

I remember seeing it with Hales and Paddy Powell ..... Nicky Bailey ..... even today with Ricky Holmes.
    They all played non-League before getting their chance.

• seth plum said:

I agree that's where the focus should be, though signing first team players shouldn't stop us bringing in players for the future.
  • @bolloxbolder did u not take a picture of trialist
  • @bolloxbolder did u not take a picture of trialist

No, bollox Paulie, he didn't.

• Ok home now.

No I didn't take a photo. Looked like a youth trialist and tbh nothing to get excited about and certainly not ready for the first team. He played in central /right side midfield.

Not been to the training ground for well over a year. Apart from the pitch they played on everything else was sopping wet and under 2 inches of water. Needed to wear Wellington Boots, so my trainers are wrecked. Very disappointed and the viewing area defined by the rope to view the game meant we were 20 yards from the touch line. Thanks Roland. I was not impressed although there was a digger at work away in the distance. Rumours that it was manned by Robinson to put his foot in, were apparently wide of the mark.

As for the game, we were in total control but their goal right on half time totally transformed it. They swarmed all over us first 15 of the second half and we survived many close shaves, from the many corners and set pieces delivered into our box. Beeney made some decent saves but his kicking is suspect and one pass to Barnes went straight to their forward and only a magnificent block from Lennon spared his embarrassment. Likewise the hapless Barnes passed across his own box to their forward, who was repelled by Beeney.

Lennon went off after 65 minutes and his presence was missed as we conceded 2 late goals, which was disappointing since our third goal was the result of a slick passing move involving the tireless Lapslie and impressive Fairchild. Our young 1st year scholar centre half Tyrone Kirunda struggled but stuck gamely to his task. Apparently Blumberg will be back for the Kent cup game at Cray on Wednesday as will the suspended Bowry. In my opinion Lennon, Lapslie and Fairchild were the standout performance and I find myself increasingly wondering why Fairchild is not getting more 1st team game time.

Thanks for the report @bolloxbolder

So Reeco - The new Darren Bent or the new Theirry Henry?
  • Ok home now.

No I didn't take a photo. Looked like a youth trialist and tbh nothing to get excited about and certainly not ready for the first team. He played in central /right side midfield.

Not been to the training ground for well over a year. Apart from the pitch they played on everything else was sopping wet and under 2 inches of water. Needed to wear Wellington Boots, so my trainers are wrecked. Very disappointed and the viewing area defined by the rope to view the game meant we were 20 yards from the touch line. Thanks Roland. I was not impressed although there was a digger at work away in the distance. Rumours that it was manned by Robinson to put his foot in, were apparently wide of the mark.

As for the game, we were in total control but their goal right on half time totally transformed it. They swarmed all over us first 15 of the second half and we survived many close shaves, from the many corners and set pieces delivered into our box. Beeney made some decent saves but his kicking is suspect and one pass to Barnes went straight to their forward and only a magnificent block from Lennon spared his embarrassment. Likewise the hapless Barnes passed across his own box to their forward, who was repelled by Beeney.

Lennon went off after 65 minutes and his presence was missed as we conceded 2 late goals, which was disappointing since our third goal was the result of a slick passing move involving the tireless Lapslie and impressive Fairchild. Our young 1st year scholar centre half Tyrone Kirunda struggled but stuck gamely to his task. Apparently Blumberg will be back for the Kent cup game at Cray on Wednesday as will the suspended Bowry. In my opinion Lennon, Lapslie and Fairchild were the standout performance and I find myself increasingly wondering why Fairchild is not getting more 1st team game time.

Thanks for the report @bolloxbolder

So Reeco - The new Darren Bent or the new Theirry Henry?
    Or the new Akpo Sodje?
  • edited December 2017

Let's just say he is a country mile better than Zak Ansah!!

Zak was ruined by his injuries but was a great prospect.

I just hope everyone doesn't jump on the Reeco bandwagon and put unrealistic expectations on his shoulders.

A loan in January to a league 2 club would do him good.