Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it time for JJ to hang up his boots??

Comments

• Options

He needs to be doing his coaching badges - if he isn't already. I'm sure he could easily be our manager one day soon.

Has been doing them. I think he's up to UEFA "B"...
  • Options

He needs to be doing his coaching badges - if he isn't already. I'm sure he could easily be our manager one day soon.

Can't see him being our next manager. Maybe the 3rd or 4th next manager.

So February 2017
  • Options
    3rd or 4th Manager. That late!
  • Options
    This is ridiculous, possibly one of the most under appreciated Charlton players to ever wear the shirt.

We would be in far, far worst state if Jackson hadn't of been here. Jackson was at his best in CM with Cousins. Playing Jackson with a Crofts/ Forley isn't JJ's thought, that's just sheer stupidity in my opinion. I can only imagine Russel knows this and is looking to address.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I don't think he is underappreciated. People have just noted deficiencies that they have a right to point out. In my opinion he is a hero and I have said I can see him being manager in the near future! Also, if we were in the Championship, I wouldn't want him starting. He can still do a job in League One, but his deficiencies (we all get older) need to be better covered by other positions if he is to start at this level. That is, if we want to have a good season! He brings goals to the team so if I was Slade, at this level, I would be looking at ways to accommodate him.
  • Options
    I do hope he thanks me when he makes his POY speech!
  • Options
    Some pluses;

Attitude.
    Best finisher we've had for years (he hardly misses a chance).
    Defends the near post well at corners.

Some minuses;

Not at all mobile.
    Not especially creative.
    Can't run with the ball.

On balance he has to play simply because of his goal threat at this level. 50 goals from midfield is superb.
  • Options

Jackson was at his best in CM with Cousins.

This straight up got us relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember when Jackson's goal against Norwich quashed this thread's then-equivalent - a deflected potshot from 30 yards that should have been saved, after our complete lack of a midfield had seen Norwich swarm us for 85 minutes and by the grace of some cruel/merciful deity not score.

It's undeniable that Jackson scores goals sometimes. However, from what I've seen over the last couple of years, he doesn't have the ability to run a midfield, or come close to preventing the opposition from running it. He is a traffic-cone out of possession and in possession he is never going to unlock anything. His ONLY usable attribute is his instinct for goal. His captaincy and tactical knowledge are not playing attributes.

I'd play him behind the strikers if at all, and certainly not in a midfield four.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Leuth said:

Think there were other factors besides that. Non scoring strikers for one.

Jacko made 29 league appearances, some of which were as sub, and Jordan often played as wide midfield rather than central. I doubt that they played even half the games as a central midfield pair.
  • Options
    Cousins barely played wide at all last season. Our defence and strikeforce weren't great either, but our midfield was really not good enough.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Cousins barely played wide at all last season. Our defence and strikeforce weren't great either, but our midfield was really not good enough.

Indeed and for 23 games or more it wasn't Cousins and Jackson which is all I am trying to say in response to the original quotes above, the second of which was yours:

• Options
    Fine, I'll concede it was an exaggeration, but our failure to have better midfielders available, than Jackson especially, was a HUGE factor in our relegation, and the fact he played so many games, all in CM, demonstrates one reason why we went down
  • Options
    I've suggested Jackson's potential for a support striker position before, too. If Novak and Magennis aren't firing then he can do a job there.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Fine, I'll concede it was an exaggeration, but our failure to have better midfielders available, than Jackson especially, was a HUGE factor in our relegation, and the fact he played so many games, all in CM, demonstrates one reason why we went down

Our failure to have better players everywhere as well as better coaches, owners and CEOs.

And of course the protesters who need to take a part of the blame
  • Options
    Happy birthday Jacko, you keep proving everybody wrong mate.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    My fear is that Arsenal might come in for him and they're his boyhood club - he'll be off
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I have nothing but positive thoughts about him, but if I was manager he would be high on my list to replace. That is just being honest. In the Championship IMHO he only had a role from the bench, but deserves a starting place at this level with this squad as it stands. That is a cold football assessment and If I believe it, I shouldn't let my gratitude and appreciation for the player cloud that. I and others may be wrong, but I haven't picked up any nasty thoughts towards him on this thread.

Nobody would be happier to be proved wrong and I accept I'm not the leading authority and it is only an opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy birthday skipper. You absolute legend.
    There are nother words to describe my man love for you. Proper Charlton, proper man, proper player. Charlton will be a whole lot worse when he leaves...
  • Options
    Happy birthday skipper. You absolute legend.
    There are nother words to describe my man love for you. Proper Charlton, proper man, proper player. Charlton will be a whole lot worse when he leaves...
  • Options
    Say that again
  • Options
    the guy is useless
  • Options
    Top scorer
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say, in preparation for Saturday... his legs have gone and it's high time he was dropped permanently.
  • Options
    Ha ha ha ha ha.

"Offers nothing, legs gone, should retire."

Ha ha ha ha
  • Options
    No way he can play two games in a week...
  • Options
    Said on twitter the other day he wants double figures this year. Certainly starting the right way...