Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it time for JJ to hang up his boots??

Comments

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

It's terribly sad when we want Ba to be our first choice CM

I know what you mean, but on the other hand he wasn't irredeemably, Rhys Williams-ly crap last season, he just wasn't good enough in the Championship. He's got enough about him to do some damage in this league though if his head's right. L1 is one of those leagues that benefits the athletes, allows players with limited technical ability to get by with raw pace or power. Ba has both of those in decent quantities and I feel like given a run of games he'll realise he can boss players physically and start playing his game. It's a bit hopeful but it does make sense.
    I agree but he seems to have gone from all our plans now, which is a waste.

We need to get him working with Jackson and our midfield coach to get him kicking on in the right way.
  • Options
    When he came back and scored against Fulham last season at home I was more than willing to eat humble pie. We needed him, he answered the call and then went and got the winner up at brum a few weeks later with a goal against Sheff Wed at home as well. Then I don't think he scored again after November.

A key part for me of having him in the team in addition to his leadership skills were his goals. Based on last night's action he looked so far off the pace that he would not get near the opposition box in open play.

Now, I can't write him off because he's proved time and time again he's a class act. Yet in this current set up, God help us. He look knackered last night. I take people's points about him needing a mobile player around him, but he had that with Cousins last season and if we're being brutally honest, did dick all from December onwards.

IMO he needs to be part of a midfield 5 and have 2 really mobile players around him he's that slow.

He spent a lot of last night on his backside because he was 2/3 seconds behind the play, and that's against Cheltenham.

Now that may well be because the support is inadequate, but I truly believe we're now approaching the time when he would be better as an impact sub rather than starting player.

I'm not questioning his commitment or leadership and it is unfair on him he's been put through what has happened at our club over the last 2 years, but I can't see him making the consistent impact I want from a player in his role.

We have to play him as there is no one else, and I doubt we're gonna get anyone either, but I can see this being a painfully frustrating season for him and us, if this the team/squad going forward.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    cabbles said:

When he came back and scored against Fulham last season at home I was more than willing to eat humble pie. We needed him, he answered the call and then went and got the winner up at brum a few weeks later with a goal against Sheff Wed at home as well. Then I don't think he scored again after November.

A key part for me of having him in the team in addition to his leadership skills were his goals. Based on last night's action he looked so far off the pace that he would not get near the opposition box in open play.

Now, I can't write him off because he's proved time and time again he's a class act. Yet in this current set up, God help us. He look knackered last night. I take people's points about him needing a mobile player around him, but he had that with Cousins last season and if we're being brutally honest, did dick all from December onwards.

IMO he needs to be part of a midfield 5 and have 2 really mobile players around him he's that slow.

He spent a lot of last night on his backside because he was 2/3 seconds behind the play, and that's against Cheltenham.

Now that may well be because the support is inadequate, but I truly believe we're now approaching the time when he would be better as an impact sub rather than starting player.

I'm not questioning his commitment or leadership and it is unfair on him he's been put through what has happened at our club over the last 2 years, but I can't see him making the consistent impact I want from a player in his role.

We have to play him as there is no one else, and I doubt we're gonna get anyone either, but I can see this being a painfully frustrating season for him and us, if this the team/squad going forward.

Agree with this. Most of his goals came when he played narrow left (other than in 2012/13). He can't play there now so either needs to play in a 5 man midfield or not at all
  • Options
    cabbles said:

This.

So far off the pace last night is 100% correct.

He was blowing out of his arse from the start.

He certainly spent a lot of time on his arse, because he was left for dead by League 2 (last year non league) players. It was like watching an older dad trying in vain to keep up with his kids.

100% he should be on the bench and play a max of 30 minutes (assuming we ever sign anyone better).

I very much regret saying that last night without a shadow of doubt he was the weakest link & Crofts wasn't much better.

The defence were ok, although Fox had his usual dodgy moments. Holmes was good and Lookman was ok.

But the centre mid were chasing shadows all night, providing no cover in front of the defence and nothing creative for the forwards.

We desperately need a couple of good, creative moblie central mid fielders and we needed them weeks ago.

Sorry Jacko but you are the weakest link.

• Options
    Fantastically predictable.
  • Options
    Expected this. Still got it.
  • Options

Now this threads up I'm backing him FGS on Saturday.

Every year.

Every. Single. Time
  • Options
    You what, you what, you what you what you what
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't make it up
  • Options
    Proved me wrong on the match thread to sub him but a left midfielder he ain't. Crofts had a more rounded game but Jacko got a goal. Either way Foley makes way on Tuesday and Lookman starts please. Jacko can contribute for us this year but only in front of the back 4 remaining a set piece goal threat (starting) or grabbing late goals as an option off the bench.

Assuming CMs come in of the standard of Adeyemi / Thompson etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Not a brilliant game for him. But has that goal in his locker. Would sooner have him in the centre ahead of foley or Crofts.
  • Options
    Legend. Absolutely no doubt
  • Options
    HuK hum

• Options

Every year.

I meant anytime scorer
    Thought of @valleygary and his post went that went in.

To cabbies, all thiad up, damp north stand etc all I can say is

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

You never ever learn

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
  • Options
    My legs have gone but sorry to say not to the valley,really missed it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Every year.

I meant anytime scorer

You never ever learn

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    After sweating my balls off in the lower north sun for 90 mins, I am indeed very damp Henners.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Every year.

I meant anytime scorer

You never ever learn

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    After sweating my balls off in the lower north sun for 90 mins, I am indeed very damp Henners.
    No such thing as lower north you should change your username to Damp Covered End :wink:
  • Options
    Welly said:

Wondered where you were - spent the whole game asking myself "where's Welly?" :smiley:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welly said:

Were you at the local school fete?
  • Options
    No is the answer but he has to be utilised properly. So far under Slade he hasn't been.
  • Options
    Excellent goal. Well done, Jacko
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    JJ has a role at this level as he brings goals to the team. He doesn't bring the same things he used to, but goals are precious. But he is not the same player he was, and his legs have gone. Not saying he isn't fit, he just isn't as quick to the ball as he was. In this league that may not be as big an issue as the Championship, but we need to compensate within the side for what he can't bring to it anymore! He is a Charlton hero and has a role to play. But he won't be the solution to our problems - just a useful squad member and inspirational captain.
  • Options
    A much better performance by Jacko today and a well taken goal.

Let's hope he can play as well most games.
  • Options

he will pop up once in a blue moon and get something though, no question of how much he loves the club just a shame his career is going to end with us in the way we are.

cough cough
  • Options
    He needs to be doing his coaching badges - if he isn't already. I'm sure he could easily be our manager one day soon.
  • Options
    That was his actual 50th goal btw, without the 'Racon didn't mean to touch it' chicanery