Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Those entered so far, and list at bottom of people who haven't yet (but had entered before), hopefully not missed anyone but please let me know:

NameLevel
    golfaddick7680
    StrikerFirmani7720
    fat man on a moped7758
    Morboe7768
    RalphMilne7795
    Daarrrzzettbum7801
    Covered End7579
    IdleHans7810
    Addickinedi7824
    LargeAddick7824
    Huskaris7825
    CAFCWest7839
    valleynick667863
    Addick Addict7864
    Jon_CAFC_7864
    Lonelynorthernaddick7870
    Bangkokaddick7878
    Housty7882
    oohaahmortimer7891
    Rob7Lee7891
    meldrew667901
    Hornchurch7902
    wwaddick7934
    Jamescafc7950
    HardyAddick7951
    PragueAddick7965
    CharltonKerry7966
    blackpool727970
    Pedro457975
    aitchyaddick7978
    Redman7988
    bobmunro7989
    guinnessaddick8001
    Solidgone8001
    cafcpolo8011
    Thread Killer8016
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub8047
    MrWalker8077
    @TelMc32 
    CAFC, we hate palace 
    cafc7-6htfc 
    CAFCsayer 
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch  
    Exiledin Manchester 
    Fortune 82nd Minute 
    Gary Poole 
    happy valley 
    holyjo 
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    KentAddick 
    Killer Kish 
    Lenglover 
    MrOneLung 
    No.1 in South London 
    Salad 
    thecat 
    TheGhostofTomHovi 
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder @Rob7Lee.

I never realised how optimistic Lifers are! Every guess above yesterday's close on the FTSE.

And all this at a time of coming political change in this country. Not to mention the on-going Ukraine/Russia war, the Middle East near to going up in flames, shipping potentially stopping using the Suez canal and China still threatening to invade Taiwan.

Not forgetting that all you under 60s about to be called up for the army!

And doesn't "sell in May and go away" still apply?

So I'm with Golfie on this. In fact, I'm even less optimistic. 7450 for me. 
  • Options
    Wow.

Cant believe everyone is higher than mine. Have I missed something? Perhaps I  shouldn't be attending investments seminars every week. 
    I'm not. I'm not at all confident for the next 6 months with so many war threats about.
  • Options
    I have a SIPP in drawdown and another (smaller) one that I can still pay into.  It has several £K sitting in cash.  Any recommendations for an accumulation fund I should move it into?  Understand any recommendatuion is just that - not advice!
  • Options
    I'll keep 7401 please. Charlton's form does not discourage an inherent pessimism at the moment.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    I have a SIPP in drawdown and another (smaller) one that I can still pay into.  It has several £K sitting in cash.  Any recommendations for an accumulation fund I should move it into?  Understand any recommendatuion is just that - not advice!
    Depends on your risk appetite.
    Depends on where you are currently invested -  Equities v Bonds.

If you are looking for growth & have the capacity for loss you could look at a global equity fund. Bear in mind that many global.funds have over 60% in the US. 

Then again when interest rates start coming down Bond prices will rise. 

If only there were professionals out there who could guide you 🤔😄
  • Options
    Wow.

Cant believe everyone is higher than mine. Have I missed something? Perhaps I  shouldn't be attending investments seminars every week. 
    The interesting thing about the entries is that the MOST optimistic is forecasting a year on year gain of just 4.3%. Which ought to mean that an awful lot of us will be keeping an awful lot of funds in cash, since overall - especially if you locked up plenty im the NSI 1 year fix - should see you clearing 5% on no risk. Well that’s certainly what I’m doing. 
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Wow.

The interesting thing about the entries is that the MOST optimistic is forecasting a year on year gain of just 4.3%. Which ought to mean that an awful lot of us will be keeping an awful lot of funds in cash, since overall - especially if you locked up plenty im the NSI 1 year fix - should see you clearing 5% on no risk. Well that’s certainly what I’m doing. 
    Agree with this. Just don't feel confident enough to have a significant proportion in equities right now. Especially when savings interest rates are higher than inflation at the moment, how often can you say that's been the case? 
  • Options

I never realised how optimistic Lifers are! Every guess above yesterday's close on the FTSE.

And all this at a time of coming political change in this country. Not to mention the on-going Ukraine/Russia war, the Middle East near to going up in flames, shipping potentially stopping using the Suez canal and China still threatening to invade Taiwan.

All known factors, already built in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow.

The interesting thing about the entries is that the MOST optimistic is forecasting a year on year gain of just 4.3%. Which ought to mean that an awful lot of us will be keeping an awful lot of funds in cash, since overall - especially if you locked up plenty im th NSI 1 year fix - should see you clearing 5% on no risk. Well that’s certainly what I’m doing. 
    You're forgetting dividends ......
  • Options
    redman said:
    Wow.

The interesting thing about the entries is that the MOST optimistic is forecasting a year on year gain of just 4.3%. Which ought to mean that an awful lot of us will be keeping an awful lot of funds in cash, since overall - especially if you locked up plenty im th NSI 1 year fix - should see you clearing 5% on no risk. Well that’s certainly what I’m doing. 
    …again 😉
  • Options
    Thanks for the nudge @Rob7Lee…I missed out last time, but will go optimistic again (I went high with 8,000 for H1 last year). Let’s say 8,100 this time 😉
  • Options
    redman said:

All known factors, already built in. 
    I hope you are right but excuse me if I have my doubts!
  • Options
    edited January 28
    TelMc32 said:ê
    redman said:
    Wow.

…again 😉
    Not so fast, guys. 😉

I still have around 25% of my stuff in the markets, ( plus the SIPP). I just halted the plan to regularly invest a fixed amount in a package of funds, and instead diverted the cash into the high paying savings accounts. The point is that I know 100%. what the latter will pay me. What would be the dividenc yield on a FTSE 100 tracker? Around 3.5% ? So sure if you add that to the capital gain predicted by the most optimistic of us punters, you get near 8%. But most of the forecasts are far less optimistic so its touch and go if even a median forecast wins, as to whether it beats a 5% cash account. If you are both cautious and old ( as I am) i reckon it does make sense to major on the high interest fixes this year at least. It is  a very comforting exercise to keep a spreadsheet of those deposit accounts  and record the income totting up each month. Much more relaxing than seeking out stocks for income, deciding Direct Line was a good choice and then watching as the stock plunged, and then the board cancells the dividend. WTF? Fortunately I didnt have much, so I flogged it off and used the proceeds to top up on L&G, a company apparently run by adults. But that experience influenced my flight to cash and I dont regret it. 

Yes, by the summer I will need to have a re-think as some of those 1 year fixes mature. But that can wait.
  • Options
  • Options
    7979 for me please
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:ê
    redman said:
    Wow.

…again 😉
    Not so fast, guys. 😉

I still have around 25% of my stuff in the markets, ( plus the SIPP). I just halted the plan to regularly invest a fixed amount in a package of funds, and instead diverted the cash into the high paying savings accounts. The point is that I know 100%. what the latter will pay me. What would be the dividenc yield on a FTSE 100 tracker? Around 3.5% ? So sure if you add that to the capital gain predicted by the most optimistic of us punters, you get near 8%. But most of the forecasts are far less optimistic so its touch and go if even a median forecast wins, as to whether it beats a 5% cash account. If you are both cautious and old ( as I am) i reckon it does make sense to major on the high interest fixes this year at least. It is  a very comforting exercise to keep a spreadsheet of those deposit accounts  and record the income totting up each month. Much more relaxing than seeking out stocks for income, deciding Direct Line was a good choice and then watching as the stock plunged, and then the board cancells the dividend. WTF? Fortunately I didnt have much, so I flogged it off and used the proceeds to top up on L&G, a company apparently run by adults. But that experience influenced my flight to cash and I dont regret it. 

Yes, by the summer I will need to have a re-think as some of those 1 year fixes mature. But that can wait.
    S&P500 is where it's at. If I'd have put 100% of my pension into that 18 months ago I'd be sitting on the beach right now  :D

In 18 months my FTSE100 ETF is up just over 11% including dividends which appear to make up around 6.5%.

• Options
    7850 please
  • Options
    Last few days to get your predictions in:

NameLevel
    golfaddick7680
    StrikerFirmani7720
    fat man on a moped7758
    Morboe7768
    RalphMilne7795
    Daarrrzzettbum7801
    Covered End7579
    IdleHans7810
    Addickinedi7824
    LargeAddick7824
    Huskaris7825
    CAFCWest7839
    thecat7850
    valleynick667863
    Addick Addict7864
    Jon_CAFC_7864
    Lonelynorthernaddick7870
    Bangkokaddick7878
    Housty7882
    oohaahmortimer7891
    Rob7Lee7891
    meldrew667901
    Hornchurch7902
    Salad7918
    wwaddick7934
    Fortune 82nd Minute7450
    Jamescafc7950
    HardyAddick7951
    PragueAddick7965
    CharltonKerry7966
    blackpool727970
    Pedro457975
    aitchyaddick7978
    holyjo7979
    Lenglover7401
    Redman7988
    bobmunro7989
    guinnessaddick8001
    Solidgone8001
    cafcpolo8011
    Thread Killer8016
    MrWalker8077
    @TelMc328100
    CAFC, we hate palace 
    cafc7-6htfc 
    CAFCsayer 
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch  
    Exiledin Manchester 
    Gary Poole 
    happy valley 
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    KentAddick 
    Killer Kish 
    MrOneLung 
    No.1 in South London 
    TheGhostofTomHovi 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    6999 - thanks!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Last few days to get your predictions in:

NameLevel
    golfaddick7680
    StrikerFirmani7720
    fat man on a moped7758
    Morboe7768
    RalphMilne7795
    Daarrrzzettbum7801
    Covered End7579
    IdleHans7810
    Addickinedi7824
    LargeAddick7824
    Huskaris7825
    CAFCWest7839
    thecat7850
    valleynick667863
    Addick Addict7864
    Jon_CAFC_7864
    Lonelynorthernaddick7870
    Bangkokaddick7878
    Housty7882
    oohaahmortimer7891
    Rob7Lee7891
    meldrew667901
    Hornchurch7902
    Salad7918
    wwaddick7934
    Fortune 82nd Minute7450
    Jamescafc7950
    HardyAddick7951
    PragueAddick7965
    CharltonKerry7966
    blackpool727970
    Pedro457975
    aitchyaddick7978
    holyjo7979
    Lenglover7401
    Redman7988
    bobmunro7989
    guinnessaddick8001
    Solidgone8001
    cafcpolo8011
    Thread Killer8016
    MrWalker8077
    @TelMc328100
    CAFC, we hate palace 
    cafc7-6htfc 
    CAFCsayer 
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch  
    Exiledin Manchester 
    Gary Poole 
    happy valley 
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    KentAddick 
    Killer Kish 
    MrOneLung 
    No.1 in South London 
    TheGhostofTomHovi 
    I'm top  !!!

Does that mean I've won 😄
  • Options
    Our savings are in rental property, reasons being. It's not easy to spend the capital and it's a regular income. Obvious risks are the tenant's who have trashed a place in the past at quite some cost but we do think the people we have now are a decent bunch.
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Our savings are in rental property, reasons being. It's not easy to spend the capital and it's a regular income. Obvious risks are the tenant's who have trashed a place in the past at quite some cost but we do think the people we have now are a decent bunch.
    If all goes well BTL can provide OK returns, however when you build in items such as you have experienced (bad tenants), maintenance and ongoing costs etc it's not necessarily the best investment for regular income (will also depend on your tax position). It's also very illiquid but that appears something you like. You will also likely have to factor in capital gains at some point.

Always worth regularly reviewing if it remains the best investment for you.
  • Options
    Ignoring your own house, 1/3rd property, shares, cash. 
  • Options
    red10 said:
    As @Rob7Lee says, its not tax efficient, for both income tax & Capital Gains Tax and its illiquid. Many better places you can put your money & make it work better for you. 
  • Options
    Hmmmm......not sure I would go with that. Obviously all depends on your attitude to risk but even then Property shouldn't really be anymore than 10% of a portfolio.

But then again, what do I know... 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    red10 said:
    If all goes well BTL can provide OK returns, however when you build in items such as you have experienced (bad tenants), maintenance and ongoing costs etc it's not necessarily the best investment for regular income (will also depend on your tax position). It's also very illiquid but that appears something you like. You will also likely have to factor in capital gains at some point.

Thanks, ours are mortgage free and it stops the fun prevension officer from blatting the cash on cruises !!

• Options
    red10 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    red10 said:

Thanks, ours are mortgage free and it stops the fun prevension officer from blatting the cash on cruises !!

Lol, just make sure you don't leave it to IHT/HMRC, better to let the fun officer spend some if that were to be the case.
  • Options
    Hmmmm......not sure I would go with that. Obviously all depends on your attitude to risk but even then Property shouldn't really be anymore than 10% of a portfolio.

But then again, what do I know... 
    it’s a conservative approach and works for me in retirement.