Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• On a slightly different topic my main pension managed a gain of £23.6k in the month of November, the one day of December it's already up a further £4k, long may that continue!
  • I think my wife and I are about to buy a big batch of premium bonds. Primarily so I have something to say in here once a month to you guys, very jealous missing out  :D
  • £50. Winning a decent amount recently has made me very unimpressed with these meagre winnings 😂 
  • £75 for me, £200 for my wife, £150 for my Mum.
  • Worst month for a long time, with £50 for me and zilch for the missus, both on full holdings.
  • £175 for me, £100 for the wife and nil for junior on PBs. Much better than last month and we have reduced our holdings a bit.
  • Good month for me.  1 x £50 and 1 x £500 (my best yet!).
  • £50 me. £300 wife
  • £375 for me and £275 for wife. We have achieved a 4.2% return for the year which is not bad.
  • £300, split over five different prize amounts. Earned just under 3% for the year, which isn't so good, with three blank months. I'm not moving them though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    meldrew66 said:
    A meagre £100 for me and nothing for Margaret. Feedback on here so far suggests low payouts generally. Typically a Charlton Christmas!
    Add me to that. Nothing this month, first time in more than year. I cannot think of a good reason why overall payouts should be lower. Hmm

Anyway not connected with that, we can now work out our total profit/rate of interest on our winnings for the year. I thought it might be interesting to do a little survey as the consolidated results might be insightful. 

My method of calculating is
    - Log on to see your full year winnings
    - Add up the total
    - subtract this number from your current total holdings to get your start of year total
    - calculate annual winnings as % of start of year total

It might be even more interesting if people would not mind stating roughly what total holding they have; maybe just split into <25k or >25k

My effective ROI this year is 4.3%. I am in the >25k bracket.

Is that good? Yes I think it is, at least OK. You could get 5%+ in cash now, and briefly 6% plus from NS&I itself,  but not in the first few months of the year.

Anyone else up for this? If anyone wants to improve on my suggested process, feel free. 

• >25k
    4.82%
    Happy enough with that. 
  • meldrew66 said:
    A meagre £100 for me and nothing for Margaret. Feedback on here so far suggests low payouts generally. Typically a Charlton Christmas!
    Add me to that. Nothing this month, first time in more than year. I cannot think of a good reason why overall payouts should be lower. Hmm

Anyway not connected with that, we can now work out our total profit/rate of interest on our winnings for the year. I thought it might be interesting to do a little survey as the consolidated results might be insightful. 

My method of calculating is
    - Log on to see your full year winnings
    - Add up the total
    - subtract this number from your current total holdings to get your start of year total
    - calculate annual winnings as % of start of year total

It might be even more interesting if people would not mind stating roughly what total holding they have; maybe just split into <25k or >25k

My effective ROI this year is 4.3%. I am in the >25k bracket.

Is that good? Yes I think it is, at least OK. You could get 5%+ in cash now, and briefly 6% plus from NS&I itself,  but not in the first few months of the year.

Anyone else up for this? If anyone wants to improve on my suggested process, feel free. 

Would also be interested in this. 

Isn't the key thing on the "5% cash" comment though disregarding income tax a bit? Eg if you are a higher rate tax payer you need to divide the rate by 1.66, so 5% very quickly becomes 3.125% (I know you know all this just want to spell it all out). That actually makes savings accounts (outside of ISAs) pretty uncompetitive vs premium bonds. Your 4.3% is a brilliant return in my opinion, provided you have used your isa allowance first. 

For me I will be filling up my and my wife's ISAs, then moving into Premium Bonds. Then each year where I can't fill an isa (most of them!) I will probably sell PBs to add to ISAs. 

Interested as to what people think about this?
  • >25k.  3.75% annual return.  Higher rate tax payer so happy with that...
  • The personal savings allowances are currently £1,000 for basic rate taxpayers and £500 for higher rate taxpayers. Am I right in saying these remain the same for 2023/24? 
  • Nothing this month 😔 
  • @Huskaris you’re right to remind everyone about the UK tax element when comparing PBs and savings accounts. I tend to overlook it, being neither a UK taxpayer as of this year, or an ISA holder which is for UK tax residents only regardless of whether you pay UK tax. 
  • @Huskaris you’re right to remind everyone about the UK tax element when comparing PBs and savings accounts. I tend to overlook it, being neither a UK taxpayer as of this year, or an ISA holder which is for UK tax residents only regardless of whether you pay UK tax. 
    Typical tax dodging rich bastards, no wonder the UK is such a mess (as you often remind us)  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• 5 of us with max holdings. Currently at 4.5% overall this year so happy with that. 
  • Huskaris said:
    @Huskaris you’re right to remind everyone about the UK tax element when comparing PBs and savings accounts. I tend to overlook it, being neither a UK taxpayer as of this year, or an ISA holder which is for UK tax residents only regardless of whether you pay UK tax. 
    Typical tax dodging rich bastards, no wonder the UK is such a mess (as you often remind us)  ;)
    Don’t you worry mate, Prague is a haven for a fair few morally dubious practices, but tax avoidance isn’t one of them. They don’t tax State pensions, mind. And unlike banks, NS&I don’t grass on Brits abroad. Rollin’ in it, me 😉
  • edited December 2023
    Huskaris said:
    @Huskaris you’re right to remind everyone about the UK tax element when comparing PBs and savings accounts. I tend to overlook it, being neither a UK taxpayer as of this year, or an ISA holder which is for UK tax residents only regardless of whether you pay UK tax. 
    Don’t you worry mate, Prague is a haven for a fair few morally dubious practices, but tax avoidance isn’t one of them. They don’t tax State pensions, mind. And unlike banks, NS&I don’t grass on Brits abroad. Rollin’ in it, me 😉
    I hope to be back there eating at Kantyna and Sia in the new year whilst being morally dubious!!!
  • 3.3% for me in 2023, not great, but as a higher rate tax payer not too shabby as equates to 5.5% on savings interest where I would have been taxed.
  • edited December 2023
  • Total winnings of £1,875 for the year, which equates to 3.75%. 
  • £1450 return in 2023 from £50k holding = 2.9%. Seems I’ve done worst of all of us with the maximum holding!?😤
  • Margaret did better than Victor and earned £800 from an average holding of £22k so approx 3.6% return.
  • edited December 2023
    £1950 return  for the year, 50K up until Oct, then switched 15K to a 6.2% bond. 4.2% return for the year.