Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• It's been a while since I updated this on here, but we aren't in the main doing so well this 6 months!

NameLevelVariance% Variance
    Lenglover740140.450.55%
    Pedro45745291.451.24%
    Jon_CAFC_7490129.451.76%
    Fortune 82nd Minute7554193.452.63%
    Redman7562201.452.74%
    meldrew667575214.452.91%
    fat man on a moped7592231.453.14%
    PragueAddick7600239.453.25%
    HardyAddick7625264.453.59%
    Morboe7625264.453.59%
    Addick Addict7652291.453.96%
    oohaahmortimer7654293.453.99%
    StrikerFirmani7665304.454.14%
    golfaddick7680319.454.34%
    cafcpolo7698337.454.58%
    Covered End7702341.454.64%
    Addickinedi7707346.454.71%
    TheGhostofTomHovi7708347.454.72%
    RalphMilne7721360.454.90%
    Lonelynorthernaddick7725364.454.95%
    blackpool727750389.455.29%
    Jamescafc7750389.455.29%
    Bangkokaddick7771410.455.58%
    thecat7792431.455.86%
    bobmunro7848487.456.62%
    CharltonKerry7868507.456.89%
    guinnessaddick7878517.457.03%
    LargeAddick7887526.457.15%
    Rob7Lee7891530.457.21%
    holyjo7899538.457.32%
    valleynick667923562.457.64%
    IdleHans7945584.457.94%
    CAFCWest7950589.458.01%
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6750610.558.29%
    aitchyaddick7978617.458.39%
    Solidgone7990629.458.55%
    wwaddick8002641.458.71%
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub8047686.459.33%
  • Looking at those predictions I'd say wishidstayedin The Pub has probably spent too much time in the pub 😳 😀 
  • Anyone else's pension/ISA at an all time high again? Mine seems to have picked up again massively this month, up over 8% so far for November. Just wish I'd put more in the S&P500 which is up just over 21% in a little over a year  :D
  • edited November 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    Anyone else's pension/ISA at an all time high again? Mine seems to have picked up again massively this month, up over 8% so far for November. Just wish I'd put more in the S&P500 which is up just over 21% in a little over a year  :D
    I track the markets daily & the last 10 days (apart from thursday) has shown some good positive movement, although I would say more 5% than 8%. My SIPP is close to it's all time high & recently I reduced my Bond exposure & increased my holdings global equities. Probably now closer to 75%/25% split in favour of equities.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Anyone else's pension/ISA at an all time high again? Mine seems to have picked up again massively this month, up over 8% so far for November. Just wish I'd put more in the S&P500 which is up just over 21% in a little over a year  :D
    I track the markets daily & the last 10 days (apart from thursday) has shown some good positive movement, although I would say more 5% than 8%. My SIPP is close to it's all time high & recently I reduced my Bond exposure & increased my holdings global equities. Probably now closer to 75%/25% split in favour of equities.
    @golfaddick. What global funds did you choose? 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I'm heavier than 75/25 on split, more 85-90/15-10, I have no bonds alone funds but part of things like Vanguard lifestrategy 80. I have a large holing in the S&P500 which has performed very well, as has my FTSE Developed Europe UCITS ETF and my FTSE Japan UCITS ETF fund
  • On the back of inflation starting to fall more sharply and, by implication, interest rates peaking with eventual cuts a step closer, I am looking at blue chip cumulative pref shares to provide a decent yield for which I don't have to tie up funds for a long period, with the prospect of some capital increase if/when rates fall. The spreads are generally quite wide, but not in every case. Does anyone have experience of this as an investment? Aside from the potential lack of liquidity and the initial spread, I cant see where my thinking falls down.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    😡
    😉

• Speaking of peaking interest rates, I’m starting to see the signs in 1 year fixed deals. I have one maturing with Investec on 4. December. Until a couple of weeks ago they offered a new one at 5.76 but now its down to 5.3%. Fortunately the other one at exactly that rate which I have an account with is Secure Trust Bank, and that is still on offer. Secure Trust was new to me, @bobmunro was able to reassure with some background on them. Indeed their customer service is old school in the best way. I was puzzled to see that the bond matures on a fixed date, regardless of when you invest. I rang their helpline. It was answered almost immediately by a helpful young guy who explained clearly that if I invest earlier than the 3rd Jan maturity date, I will indeed get pro rata more than 12months interest. When I politely asked if he could say when it might be pulled, because of my wait for the incoming cash, he of course said he could not, but that I have 30 days to fund it, so I can open it nowish. Top service in this category. If you too are looking for a 1 year fix, I’d look no further. And if you think you can guarantee to get more than 5.8% from  the equity markets in the next 12 months, you’re a braver mug punter than me😉
  • I took 70k out of my portfolio to pay off mortgage about three weeks ago …. Since then my fund has made back 30k of it 
  • Sponsored links:

• holyjo said:
    I took 70k out of my portfolio to pay off mortgage about three weeks ago …. Since then my fund has made back 30k of it 
    God is indeed looking after you 🙏 
  • Looking at those predictions I'd say wishidstayedin The Pub has probably spent too much time in the pub 😳 😀 
    I think I need to spend more time in the pub!  

At least my portfolio is at an all time high ...
  • Speaking of peaking interest rates, I’m starting to see the signs in 1 year fixed deals. I have one maturing with Investec on 4. December. Until a couple of weeks ago they offered a new one at 5.76 but now its down to 5.3%. Fortunately the other one at exactly that rate which I have an account with is Secure Trust Bank, and that is still on offer. Secure Trust was new to me, @bobmunro was able to reassure with some background on them. Indeed their customer service is old school in the best way. I was puzzled to see that the bond matures on a fixed date, regardless of when you invest. I rang their helpline. It was answered almost immediately by a helpful young guy who explained clearly that if I invest earlier than the 3rd Jan maturity date, I will indeed get pro rata more than 12months interest. When I politely asked if he could say when it might be pulled, because of my wait for the incoming cash, he of course said he could not, but that I have 30 days to fund it, so I can open it nowish. Top service in this category. If you too are looking for a 1 year fix, I’d look no further. And if you think you can guarantee to get more than 5.8% from  the equity markets in the next 12 months, you’re a braver mug punter than me😉
    Metro bank is currently offering 5.91% for a 12 month fix, but that might not be everyone's choice
  • holyjo said:
    I took 70k out of my portfolio to pay off mortgage about three weeks ago …. Since then my fund has made back 30k of it 
    Think how much it would have made had you left it in there  :D sorry couldn't resist, nice feeling though heh?
  • mendonca said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    @golfaddick. What global funds did you choose? 
    PGIM Global Equity Opportunities
    Royal London Global Equity Income
    There has been a couple of really good Structured Products that I've been advising clients these past few months. 

Deposit based ones so no risk to capital & a couple are FSCS protected too, although the ones that aren't are backed by Barclays so if they go bust then we are all fucked. One was paying 7%pa for 6 years, and another paying 7.5%pa over 5 years, assuming the FTSE100 doesn't fall by more than 5% over that time. 

What clients have been doing is transferring money from their ISA's but still keeping it within an ISA wrapper - then when the Plan matures they simply transfer the money back into their ISA, thus keeping the gains tax-free. 

Really a hedge against the markets, and as @PragueAddick says, I couldn't really give any guarantees as to what their S&S ISA's would return over the next 5 years and at least I don't lose that money to the Banks as clients were rightfully thinking that perhaps they should be putting money into Cash ISA instead of their S&S ones.  
  • Thanks @golfaddick.

PGIM Global Equity Opportunities has performed very well, but I'd be performance chasing if focused on it now. Have you held it for long? 
  • from 31/10 my SIPP is up 3.35% and my wife's 3.14%. Happy with that seeing the decreases over the previous few months. Long may it continue.
  • edited November 2023
    As of last month I now work for a cask brokerage, they sell whiskey by the cask as an alternative asset.  It’s really competitive and they pretty much guarantee at least 8% capital returns a year, if anyone is interested drop me a message and I’ll get one of the brokers to contact you. (I’m an accountant not a broker so I’m not here to make a quick buck!) 
  • Sponsored links:

• After last month’s feast, this month famine. 

• After last month’s feast, this month famine. 

Same here.
    500 last month 
    Nothing this month. 
  • I have 22k in premium bonds and in total this year I won 1175.
    At the start of the year bank's were offering hardly any interest at all.
    I probably could have earned slightly more interest if I'd shopped around but I think £1175 was a decent return. 
    Plus there is always a chance of winning a big one.
  • £150 for me, £100 for Mrs R7L, nowt for daughter, father in law to follow.
  • A meagre £100 for me and nothing for Margaret. Feedback on here so far suggests low payouts generally. Typically a Charlton Christmas!
  • edited December 2023
    I have 22k in premium bonds and in total this year I won 1175.
    At the start of the year bank's were offering hardly any interest at all.
    I probably could have earned slightly more interest if I'd shopped around but I think £1175 was a decent return. 
    Plus there is always a chance of winning a big one.
    …..at odds of 22000-1 of winning anything with ‘average luck’ and with the most common prize being £50 or £100, I’d say that you’ve done well and certainly better than average.
  • With average luck and my tiddly holding I should win about once every two years. So not this time...

• £350 for father in law
  • edited December 2023
    Definitely slim pickings for us all so far.