Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Interest rate review on Thursday with the Bank of England, ‘experts’ predicting a 0.5% increase (there not always right!) will be interesting to see if it’s already priced into the market!
    The consensus around investment managers is that it will be 0.5%, but rates will peak around 3% next year & then may actually fall back to around 2%-2.5%. BOE dont want rates higher than necessary as we could be heading for a recession.
    I hope the concensus is right as a recession would be devastating for all sorts of reasons. But how is a 3% peak compatible with BoE mandate of keeping inflation down? Or is my simple economics outdated? 
    Actually since read yours and others comment on another thread. Although there is a logic in your response my gut tells me there is only a slim chance of inflation falling to 4% in a years time. I'm old enough to rememember the "temporary" inflation in 70's
  • @golfaddick I can't disagree with much you say. However there are many cost pressures continuing to build: global shortages , wage increases (although not to the extent of 70s and neither do they bear as much of the effective cost base). Add this to a new PM (assuming the polls are correct) who has promised a big stimulus to the economy I personally am very sceptical about inflation being only 4% in a years time. Be interesting to see how it pans out and hope I am wrong. 
  • Nothing from my PBS this month.
  • Won £175 in the first three months of the year and nothing since! Seems like I had my share early on.
  • £25 This month 
    Every little helps. 
  • One of my bonds coughed up £100 this month and another £25. So can’t complain. Mrs and and junior both had 2 x £25 so pretty good all round.
  • £25 This month 
    Every little helps. 
    Snap...!
  • £100 for me, £50 for the wife, £50 for my Mum.
  • Sponsored links:

• £100 for me, £25 for Mrs and £50 for one daughter (nothing for other daughter), father in law £50.
  • £100. Me £100 wife. Nice curry Friday I think 🍺
  • I’m away and can’t be arsed to look. I didn’t get The Call. That’s all that matters.

Speaking of The Call do you only get it if you have the Million or do they do something for lower levels of big win? I’ve never seen an article about it, I wonder if they have somehow persuaded the media to stay vague about it. If so that would be quite an achievement.
  • £75 this month making it £250 in the last 3 months
  • Sorry I haven't ben on here today updating my PB winnings......been busy taking a Call 😉
  • I’m away and can’t be arsed to look. I didn’t get The Call. That’s all that matters.

Speaking of The Call do you only get it if you have the Million or do they do something for lower levels of big win? I’ve never seen an article about it, I wonder if they have somehow persuaded the media to stay vague about it. If so that would be quite an achievement.
    I saw a programme once that was about the NSI people who go round to the houses of people who win a million on the premium bonds to tell the winners the good news.

As far as I recall, they go round the last day of the previous month. So I always get excited when a strange car pulls up outside my house on the last day of the month!
  • IdleHans said:
    Encouraged by this thread I have just topped up my ancient £50 holding (never won a bean) and I look forward to reporting not winning anything further in future to make the rest of you feel even smugger with your payouts.
    So can we assume you now have £50 worth….  I’d like to think that doubles your chances. But, I’m sure mathematically that’s not true. 
  • Surely if you double your holding you double your chances of some sort of prize, like buying two lottery tickets, but with slightly better odds.
  • Martin Lewis gives the odds of winning a prize from PB's. I think you have more chance of having sex with an alien than winning the jackpot with £50. 
  • For all those who've entered and as at Todays scores;

NameLevelVariance% Variance
    Covered End74122.890.04%
    Bangkokaddick74155.890.08%
    bobmunro739811.110.15%
    CharltonKerry737534.110.46%
    blackpool72745040.890.55%
    LargeAddick734762.110.84%
    TheGhostofTomHovi747666.890.90%
    Morboe733772.110.97%
    Jamescafc732584.111.14%
    Daarrrzzettbum732386.111.16%
    RalphMilne749686.891.17%
    Lonelynorthernaddick750090.891.23%
    cafcpolo7303106.111.43%
    CAFCWest7299110.111.49%
    holyjo7543133.891.81%
    CAFC, we hate palace7550140.891.90%
    StrikerFirmani7550140.891.90%
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty7265144.111.95%
    fat man on a moped7252157.112.12%
    HardyAddick7250159.112.15%
    wwaddick7250159.112.15%
    Rob7Lee7234175.112.36%
    cafc7-6htfc7202207.112.80%
    Addick Addict7652242.893.28%
    Thread Killer7166243.113.28%
    guinnessaddick7654244.893.31%
    Fortune 82nd Minute7159250.113.38%
    PragueAddick7140269.113.63%
    Pedro457133276.113.73%
    thecat7124285.113.85%
    Gary Poole7074335.114.52%
    golfaddick7050359.114.85%
    @TelMc327777367.894.97%
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub7000409.115.52%
    meldrew666977432.115.83%
    IdleHans6950459.116.20%
    valleynick667899489.896.61%
    MrOneLung7955545.897.37%
    oohaahmortimer6789620.118.37%
    KentAddick6750659.118.90%
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6500909.1112.27%
    No.1 in South London6475934.1112.61%
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's end it now  :)
  • Martin Lewis gives the odds of winning a prize from PB's. I think you have more chance of having sex with an alien than winning the jackpot with £50. 
    And what are the chances of having sex with an alien for £50? Asking for a friend.
    And what are the chances of having sex with an alien for £50? Asking for a friend.
    Depends how you define 'alien' I guess. A 'happy & contented Charlton fan' maybe - but would still be an outsider  :D
  • Nothing this month. Had nothing more than £25 for the past 6 months……..the big one is clearly overdue.
  • Been an interesting couple of months on my Pensions/ISA's

I switched provider during June for my main pension and one of my ISA's, it took longer than expected meaning I was holding all as cash from around the beginning of March so I missed the big dip.

Having moved it in late June I dropped just over 1% that month.
    However July it bounced back big time, up by almost 6%
    So far August looks pretty too, up almost 1%.

Anyone else seen a big bounce back?

My largest holding (around 25%) is in an S&P 500 tracker which has performed the best, up nearly 9% since transferring towards the end of June.
  • musk sold billions of his tesla stock in the last 7 days. Smart money is moving out of the market by the looks of it...
  • musk sold billions of his tesla stock in the last 7 days. Smart money is moving out of the market by the looks of it...
    Had to raise cash in case he is forced to buy Twitter
    Not sure he's a good barometer when it comes to markets. Tesla is up 20% in under a month, I'd be selling them as well if I were him and Twitter were on my case!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Been an interesting couple of months on my Pensions/ISA's

I switched provider during June for my main pension and one of my ISA's, it took longer than expected meaning I was holding all as cash from around the beginning of March so I missed the big dip.

My largest holding (around 25%) is in an S&P 500 tracker which has performed the best, up nearly 9% since transferring towards the end of June.
    That's the big low point time for most of my funds. It's hard to be precise with the pathetic information H-L provide, but Vanguard 40% LifeStrategy is up just over 6% from that point. 

I am not banking on further progress from here. It's interesting that there are tentative mutterings that inflation in the US may have peaked, and that will certainly help you if you have such a large holding in that tracker, but it's still 'may', and in the UK we have the ridiculous Tory leadership contest stalling much needed action to contain energy -led inflation. And in Europe we brace for a tough winter with gas shortages.

Over here I have 5.3% on a bank term deposit of 9 months. Took it three weeks ago. It will be a good investment if the Czech crown holds against sterling. Last few months it has done. And anyway it will be cash I need for taking our house 'renewable', which itself is a top investment. 

I didn't see any significant new savings rate increases yet from UK outlets following the rate rise last week. Lamentable. 2.15% is currently best I have from some bank I'd never heard of on Raisin. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Been an interesting couple of months on my Pensions/ISA's

That's the big low point time for most of my funds. It's hard to be precise with the pathetic information H-L provide, but Vanguard 40% LifeStrategy is up just over 6% from that point. 

I am not banking on further progress from here. It's interesting that there are tentative mutterings that inflation in the US may have peaked, and that will certainly help you if you have such a large holding in that tracker, but it's still 'may', and in the UK we have the ridiculous Tory leadership contest stalling much needed action to contain energy -led inflation. And in Europe we brace for a tough winter with gas shortages.

Over here I have 5.3% on a bank term deposit of 9 months. Took it three weeks ago. It will be a good investment if the Czech crown holds against sterling. Last few months it has done. And anyway it will be cash I need for taking our house 'renewable', which itself is a top investment. 

I didn't see any significant new savings rate increases yet from UK outlets following the rate rise last week. Lamentable. 2.15% is currently best I have from some bank I'd never heard of on Raisin. 
    The high street/well known banks have been dire on savings for many many years and no sign of that massively changing. My banks (HSBC and First direct) pay 0.2% on their instant access! Although bonus pays 1.31% I think if you don't make any withdrawals in the month.

That said shop around and now 3%+ is available for 1 year fixed, very little difference to that and the 2/3/5 year fixes.