Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    Well another day looked to be heading for disaster turned around in the afternoon. FTSE100 down to 6792 at one point came back to close at 6959. However, since my December valuation my stock/fund portfolio is down by 7%. An that’s with me holding decent positions in oil, mining, and BAE which have seen decent rises. Lloyds hit an intra day low of 38.80p before coming back to 41.25p. 

Who knows where this is going…… 
    The FTSE100 touched 7000 very briefly this afternoon before profit taking (sorry, late selling) brought it back down again. 

The sooner the West pull their finger out & help Ukraine the better. Putin is all talk. Impose a no fly zone & bomb his tank convoy & it will all be over in days. Funny that we never had a problem coming to Kuwait's aid when Saddam Hussain invaded in 1990......but then again Kuwait has oil.

... and Iraq didn't have nuclear weapons.
    Took the words from my fingers.
  • So nuclear weapons are a deterrent then. 

Better tell that to CND.
  • Can't tell you exactly what I'm down as Hargreaves Lansdowne, the country's biggest platform provider, does not have the simple function that would allow you to compare the value of your total portfolio over a set period of time of your choosing. Mug punters , we are.
     But I reckon it's about 7-8% on my SIPP from memory. Paying a heavy price for backing European markets at present - that'll be Germany led. 

I have a lot of cash to invest having just completed the sale of my house, but I'll be drip-feeding it in carefully and slowly. I can see a lot of downside risks that no one has really worked out yet. 

Actually got £100 from Ernie this month. Blimey. But right now the best looking investment is my small chunk of inflation proof Republika bonds issued by the Czech state. RPI + 0.5%, and inflation likely to hit 10% here. Less than half way through their six year life too. I remember when National Savings had a bond like that, I was very happy with that too.
  • edited March 2022
    Can't tell you exactly what I'm down as Hargreaves Lansdowne, the country's biggest platform provider, does not have the simple function that would allow you to compare the value of your total portfolio over a set period of time of your choosing. Mug punters , we are.
     But I reckon it's about 7-8% on my SIPP from memory. Paying a heavy price for backing European markets at present - that'll be Germany led. 

I have a lot of cash to invest having just completed the sale of my house, but I'll be drip-feeding it in carefully and slowly. I can see a lot of downside risks that no one has really worked out yet. 

Actually got £100 from Ernie this month. Blimey. But right now the best looking investment is my small chunk of inflation proof Republika bonds issued by the Czech state. RPI + 0.5%, and inflation likely to hit 10% here. Less than half way through their six year life too. I remember when National Savings had a bond like that, I was very happy with that too.

So, did Winkworths come up trumps for you? Hopefully you've sold to some good people. Don't want the neighbourhood going downhill!

As for European investments then I know what you mean, with my European growth fund being more of a European shrinking fund! By far my worst investment!
  • Can't tell you exactly what I'm down as Hargreaves Lansdowne, the country's biggest platform provider, does not have the simple function that would allow you to compare the value of your total portfolio over a set period of time of your choosing. Mug punters , we are.

I may be able to help you out there ;-))
  • Having finally recovered from Covid losses I am back down 17.64% since 31 December and down 29% from my 2022 peak. Knew I should have sold out when they peaked.  Ho hum.

Too late, your brother has collared it all🤣🤣🤣
  • edited March 2022
    Can't tell you exactly what I'm down as Hargreaves Lansdowne, the country's biggest platform provider, does not have the simple function that would allow you to compare the value of your total portfolio over a set period of time of your choosing. Mug punters , we are.

So, did Winkworths come up trumps for you? Hopefully you've sold to some good people. Don't want the neighbourhood going downhill!

As for European investments then I know what you mean, with my European growth fund being more of a European shrinking fund! By far my worst investment!
    Actually they did a brilliant job. Nigel Gama - you wouldn’t mistake him for a librarian but he was proactive and right on top of things from first to last moment. If only Íd given it to him first, I’d probably have got 30k more as they would have been selling it alongside the other house in the terrace, but I wasnt to know that. It’s a couple buying it, doubtless classic Surbiton types  ;)
  • edited March 2022

Too late, your brother has collared it all🤣🤣🤣
    Not all of it....

Well not yet...😂😂😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Markets picking up today which is good to see.
  • House we were meant to be buying was valued 20k under what we put an offer in for... The sellers have said they can go down by £5k, but just wondered what the likelyhood is that we will be able to get another lender to value the house higher?

• edited March 2022
    I have never bought shares before but reading about the 20% drop in Lloyds shares and the general views expressed/rationale for them being likely to shoot back up soon whetted my appetite. I hovered over buying at 41.96p late yesterday but didn’t go through with it. I see it’s up to 45p already today. What’s the general opinion……buy now at the current price or hold on for a dip back down? I’ve got £5k burning a hole in my pocket.

Any tips/thoughts from those ‘in the know’?
  • House we were meant to be buying was valued 20k under what we put an offer in for... The sellers have said they can go down by £5k, but just wondered what the likelyhood is that we will be able to get another lender to value the house higher?

The valuation will likely be accessible by the next valuer, so highly unlikely.

Assume the lower valuation means you can't get the mortgage you need?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    House we were meant to be buying was valued 20k under what we put an offer in for... The sellers have said they can go down by £5k, but just wondered what the likelyhood is that we will be able to get another lender to value the house higher?

The valuation will likely be accessible by the next valuer, so highly unlikely.

Assume the lower valuation means you can't get the mortgage you need?
    That'd be really frustrating, but surely the sellers would have that issue when they go to sell again so hopefully they can reconsider....

Yeah unfortunately not, we can get a mortgage for 350 but they want 365 for it  
  • All RICS surveyors have access to previous valuations.

When you say they want £365k for it, how much of a loan are you taking? If a low LTV it really doesn't matter as the bank are only concerned with their security.

When I moved last year mine was low so the bank didn't even bother doing a valuation (they may have driven by to check it was there but not convinced).

If your bank have valued it at 345k they'll still lend up to their usual LTV (subject to all the usual affordability criteria).
  • meldrew66 said:
    I have never bought shares before but reading about the 20% drop in Lloyds shares and the general views expressed/rationale for them being likely to shoot back up soon whetted my appetite. I hovered over buying at 41.96p late yesterday but didn’t go through with it. I see it’s up to 45p already today. What’s the general opinion……buy now at the current price or hold on for a dip back down? I’ve got £5k burning a hole in my pocket.

What is happening in Ukraine at the moment is having a negative effect on share prices. 
    Wheather the war will end soon or escalate will have a direct effect on share prices. 
    Unfortunately I have no idea how things will pan out.
  • We want a loan for 85% of property so if we did go ahead with the purchase at £365k, we've have to stump up an extra £15k on top of our deposit and everything else we need to pay for, which isn't really feasible anytime soon.
  • We want a loan for 85% of property so if we did go ahead with the purchase at £365k, we've have to stump up an extra £15k on top of our deposit and everything else we need to pay for, which isn't really feasible anytime soon.
    So, did you have an Offer accepted for £370k and the valuer is saying its worth £350k, so you are looking at an 85% loan on a £350k property, but the vendor will only reduce down to £365k  ?. 

just making sure the maths are right. Originally you were looking at a deposit of £55,500 and a mortgage of £314,500 but now the lender will only go to £297,500 and so you need to stump up £67,500.

Can parents help with the difference ?

Can you go to another lender who will lend you 90%. They might value it the same but you could borrow a bit more. Different lenders have different lending limits. Who are you going with at the moment ?
  • meldrew66 said:

Buying individual shares is a mugs game. That's why collectives (unit trust to us old 'uns) exist.
  • Sponsored links:

• meldrew66 said:

Lloyds will ping up & down like most shares in this current climate you need to look at the range it trades inline with the FTSE graph.

Aviva pay a decent divi and the next 2 years it will be higher stated by the CEO a couple of weeks ago. Additionally they are going to issue 1 'B' share @ £1 a share for every ordinary share you hold. Worth a thought if you are just looking for a punt.  Obviously Lloyds are cheaper so you can buy more of them x the price,  assuming you get it right.   
  • meldrew66 said:

Golfie is right of course but if you are putting decent money in your pension and no large mortgage hanging over head then no harm in a punt on a single share if you fancy playing it in a volatile market. If you think the 5K is something you want to take an active gamble with.  
    If you can't afford it then go back to the agent and state mortgage company have valued it at x and therefore you can't proceed at the agreed price. They can only say no to a reduction........ they may meet you half way, don't ask don't get!

Or as Golfie says you could try a different lender but the rate may be higher so you will be paying more anyway.

It probably comes down to how much you want it and what you can afford, certainly I'd go back to the agent/vendor initially whilst you explore your options with other lenders either 90% LTV or a better valuation (although I think that unlikely).
  • meldrew66 said:

Buying individual shares is a mugs game. That's why collectives (unit trust to us old 'uns) exist.
    Harsh! - Whilst I agree to an extent, I've always done some dealing with individual shares but make it a small proportion of my overall portfolio. Done pretty well over the years.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    meldrew66 said:

Harsh! - Whilst I agree to an extent, I've always done some dealing with individual shares but make it a small proportion of my overall portfolio. Done pretty well over the years.
    Yes but you are by most objective measures a sophisticated or at very least a very experienced investor, with your finances generally in good order. 

We don't know (and probably should not know) what proportion of his total investments is the 5k that @meldrew66 is thinking about. If the answer is anything less than 200k, I would suggest he either sticks to funds, as Golfie says, or spread the 5k out across 3-5 shares each from different business sectors.

I recently started dipping into shares in search of some regular income from the dividends. Bad time  to do it. Most taking a right hammering now. Mate of mine who knows his stuff holds Citibank. Banks looking a good sector, before end of year. Lo and behold, mad Vlad starts a war, Citibank reveals $10bn exposure to Russian market.
  • edited March 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    meldrew66 said:

Yes but you are by most objective measures a sophisticated or at very least a very experienced investor, with your finances generally in good order. 

We don't know (and probably should not know) what proportion of his total investments is the 5k that @meldrew66 is thinking about. If the answer is anything less than 200k, I would suggest he either sticks to funds, as Golfie says, or spread the 5k out across 3-5 shares each from different business sectors.

I recently started dipping into shares in search of some regular income from the dividends. Bad time  to do it. Most taking a right hammering now. Mate of mine who knows his stuff holds Citibank. Banks looking a good sector, before end of year. Lo and behold, mad Vlad starts a war, Citibank reveals $10bn exposure to Russian market.
    I was simply thinking that taking £5k out of my premium bonds and buying £5k of Lloyds shares @42p would potentially give me a quick £1k (20%) profit if it went back to its price of over 50p. Seems likely and, therefore, sensible to an amateur like me?
  • ……apart from my mortgage-free house worth £850k, my total current assets are a mere £35k in PSBs. 
  • …..and a part-used CAFC season ticket. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    We want a loan for 85% of property so if we did go ahead with the purchase at £365k, we've have to stump up an extra £15k on top of our deposit and everything else we need to pay for, which isn't really feasible anytime soon.
    If you can't afford it then go back to the agent and state mortgage company have valued it at x and therefore you can't proceed at the agreed price. They can only say no to a reduction........ they may meet you half way, don't ask don't get!

Or as Golfie says you could try a different lender but the rate may be higher so you will be paying more anyway.

It probably comes down to how much you want it and what you can afford, certainly I'd go back to the agent/vendor initially whilst you explore your options with other lenders either 90% LTV or a better valuation (although I think that unlikely).
    Thanks for the advice both, appreciate it.

The problem is that the vendors have had a house accepted and have said they can't go any lower than £365k. However, I do think that if we get another lender to say again it's only worth £350k or whatever then they might be able to go "okay well we will have to find another place then" 

Will discuss options about going for 90% LTV, but it's just so frustrating!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    We want a loan for 85% of property so if we did go ahead with the purchase at £365k, we've have to stump up an extra £15k on top of our deposit and everything else we need to pay for, which isn't really feasible anytime soon.

Thanks for the advice both, appreciate it.

The problem is that the vendors have had a house accepted and have said they can't go any lower than £365k. However, I do think that if we get another lender to say again it's only worth £350k or whatever then they might be able to go "okay well we will have to find another place then" 

Will discuss options about going for 90% LTV, but it's just so frustrating!
    The reason I said try another lender is that they might have better lending criteria if your current lender wont lend you 90%. As previously stated a different lender's valuer might come to the same valuation.....and probably will.

Only other thing you can try is comparable sold prices. Have any similar properties been sold recently for the value you offered at ?  Usually you need comparisons of 3 properties sold within the last 6 months. That can be possible if you are buying a bulk standard 3 bed semi on a established estate/road but not so easy if you are buying a 2 bed cottage in the middle of nowhere.