Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• 7892 please
  • Bought into ADV last week, 30% up till today’s disastrous RNS, now down 81%, fooking hell. 

Completely fucked my SIPP
  • Bought into ADV last week, 30% up till today’s disastrous RNS, now down 81%, fooking hell. 

Completely fucked my SIPP
    I sympathise. The thought of investing in AIM oil prospects sends shivers down my spine. Got burned more than once years ago and have left AIM well alone since. You can't trust anything there.

If it helps, I have tended to look at falls horizontally, eg the price hasn't gone down 40%, it's gone back three months. Probably just kidding myself though.

• 7337 please
  • 7777 please
  • 7547 please.
  • Having congratulated myself on avoiding those nasty/expensive  IFAs and set up my own Aviva SIPP and then choosing a low risk bonds-dominated managed option- it just tanked.

Since 20 Nov when I set it all up,  it's down 0.5%

I could have put it all under my mattress and cut out many middle men.

Thank God for premium Bonds (another 25 quid this month) 
  • 7690 please
  • Funds are really taking a kicking. Rare to see something like Rathbones Global Opps down 8% in a single day! 

Some BG are down hugely, the problem is that when you are down near 50%, it's more than dangerous territory. 
  • 7574 please
  • Sponsored links:

• 7533, please
  • I'll go with 7799 please.
  • Interesting melt down in US stocks this evening. Appears to be Russia as yields are fairly steady.
  • Interesting melt down in US stocks this evening. Appears to be Russia as yields are fairly steady.
    Unless you're seeing something different to me I wouldn't call a 1% fall a "meltdown". Admittedly the Dow & the S&P500 were  both in positive territory with about 2 hours to go, but nothing a profits warning or a statement from The Fed wouldnt spark. 
  • Thanks all who've put their prediction in so far, here's the list of what I have, please double check and those that are blank 10 days to go!

NameLevel
    Rob7Lee7605
    CharltonKerry7860
    Bangkokaddick 
    golfaddick 
    blackpool727880
    StrikerFirmani 
    RalphMilne7702
    PragueAddick7533
    wwaddick8002
    Daarrrzzettbum7717
    Killer Kish 
    Exiledin Manchester 
    Morboe 
    gunnessaddick7936
    Housty 
    Pedro457297
    Fortune 82nd Minute 
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    CAFCWest7799
    Covered End7721
    Redman 
    meldrew667337
    cafc7-6htfc 
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub7803
    Addick Addict7652
    Gary Poole7574
    thecat7690
    Huskaris 
    Thread Killer7437
    holyjo7594
    IdleHans7777
    LargeAddick7547
    valleynick667801
    MrOneLung7270
    Salad 
    KentAddick 
    fat man on a moped 
    @TelMc32 
    HardyAddick7892
    Lonelynorthernaddick 
    bobmunro7897
    No.1 in South London 
    oohaahmortimer6789
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch  
  • Sorry @Rob7Lee is this for the half year again? 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Sorry @Rob7Lee is this for the half year again? 
    It is yes, 30th June.
  • Sponsored links:

• 7686 please
  • Can anyone play this or do you need a financial advisor ?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Sorry @Rob7Lee is this for the half year again? 
    It is yes, 30th June.
    Apologies, Rob, though we were looking at end of year, hence my earlier question.  7634 for me, please.
  • edited January 2022
    Unless you're seeing something different to me I wouldn't call a 1% fall a "meltdown". Admittedly the Dow & the S&P500 were  both in positive territory with about 2 hours to go, but nothing a profits warning or a statement from The Fed wouldnt spark. 
    Maybe not a meltdown, to be fair, but the NASDAQ's now 11% down from the peak and below its 200d moving average.  

Next week will give some indication if earnings are going to allay inflation fears.  Netflix wasn't a good start and shares like Peleton, masquerading as tech shares, are getting hammered.
    Maybe not a meltdown, to be fair, but the NASDAQ's now 11% down from the peak and below its 200d moving average.  

Next week will give some indication if earnings are going to allay inflation fears.  Netflix wasn't a good start and shares like Peleton, masquerading as tech shares, are getting hammered.
    Yup. It wasn't just last night that there have been large falls in the Dow and NASDAQ, this has been going on since the start of the year.

And its effect on some very popular funds has been dramatic. On 31/12 BG America stood at 18.65. It is now 14.68 and will be a lot lower tonight. BG Global Discovery was 22.76 on 31/12. Now it is 19.01. Last year's gains being wiped out in weeks.

Even everyone's favourite - Fundsmith Equity - has hit the buffers. 6.78 on 31/12, now 6.16.

You refer to Peleton. I will offer you a similar share I hold - Experian. Down 20% since the start of the year for absolutely no good reason I can see. (It has even published really good results during this time).

These are huge falls which just make me think that we kid ourselves we are investing. Really at times like this I can only say we are gambling. 

If anyone's portfolio is higher now than at the start of the month, then I will happily use you as my financial adviser!
  • Can the markets stop dumping plz? 
  • @golfaddick, at what % would you implement a stop loss on a fund? 

Yup. It wasn't just last night that there have been large falls in the Dow and NASDAQ, this has been going on since the start of the year.

And its effect on some very popular funds has been dramatic. On 31/12 BG America stood at 18.65. It is now 14.68 and will be a lot lower tonight. BG Global Discovery was 22.76 on 31/12. Now it is 19.01. Last year's gains being wiped out in weeks.

Even everyone's favourite - Fundsmith Equity - has hit the buffers. 6.78 on 31/12, now 6.16.

You refer to Peleton. I will offer you a similar share I hold - Experian. Down 20% since the start of the year for absolutely no good reason I can see. (It has even published really good results during this time).

These are huge falls which just make me think that we kid ourselves we are investing. Really at times like this I can only say we are gambling. 

If anyone's portfolio is higher now than at the start of the month, then I will happily use you as my financial adviser!
    It does seem like a large element of gambling and guesswork.
  • edited January 2022
    mendonca said:
    @golfaddick, at what % would you implement a stop loss on a fund? 
    AFAIK that isn't even possible. Not on unit trusts anyway or whatever they call them now.  It is one of the many ways in which funds are not traded in the best interest of ordinary punters. Even if it is better than when I started getting into this stuff, back in around '89, when there was a 5% bid-offer spread. For no good reason.

You can do it with investment trusts I think. 

Someone who knows may correct me.