Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Congratulations Bangkokaddick and thanks Rob7lee for organising everything.
  • Congrats to @Bangkokaddick for a good win and kudos to @golfaddick for putting your reputation on the line and coming out looking like an expert.
  • WishIdStayedinthePub said:
    Thanks for doing the admin on this again, @Rob7Lee
    No worries, get your thinking caps on for 30th June 2022 and I'll be back in a couple of weeks!
  • I'm well pleased with third place. 
    Congratulations Bankokaddick
    And many thanks for doing this Rob7lee. 
    Much appreciated. 
  • Well done Bankokaddick 👏 
  • Pedro45 said:
    @ralphmilne is the current favourite....only three points out!
    Just like letting an extra time goal, the last couple hours of trading did me in. Congrats Bangkok….. 
    This exactly.
    This exactly.
    I was sure the title was heading your way with a few minutes to go...
  • No less than 12 punters (well, OK, 11 plus Golfie ;) ) were more than 99% accurate. Pretty sure that it has been improving with every round.....
  • From 1st at half year to almost last…feel like the Nigel Adkins of this competition!!! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Congrats @Bangkokaddick and well done @Rob7Lee on keeping it all together 👍🏻
  • Sponsored links:

• In my euphoria I forgot to thank @Rob7Lee for organising this. So, thanks.

I now just need my own portfolio to start taking off in 2022. 2021 was OK but I think it deserves a "could do better" comment on the end of year report. I do keep an eye on this thread for ideas as we have at least one professional and several knowledgeable individuals.

Interested in views on gold and silver. I, like many, keep this as a hedge, but they've both performed poorly recently and have followed the stock markets when they've fallen. I wonder if this is due to the popularity of crypto. I don't really want to sell at a loss but do wonder if there's something better to use a a hedge.

Anyway, time to forget that and get my arse to The Valley. Happy New Year all.
  • Well done everyone. 

Talking about options , can anyone remember back in around 2005 there was a massive series of options due to expire and two banks (think Goldman’s and maybe Barclays) were desperately trying to move the cable rate either side of a set rate in order for the option to either hit or strike out ? Think there was about 30m in profits at stake just on that series of options depending on if it was above or below 
  • any good books on trading? Looking for more technical stuff than anecedotal. 

I now just need my own portfolio to start taking off in 2022. 2021 was OK but I think it deserves a "could do better" comment on the end of year report. I do keep an eye on this thread for ideas as we have at least one professional and several knowledgeable individuals.

Interested in views on gold and silver. I, like many, keep this as a hedge, but they've both performed poorly recently and have followed the stock markets when they've fallen. I wonder if this is due to the popularity of crypto. I don't really want to sell at a loss but do wonder if there's something better to use a a hedge.

considering bitcoin has literally outperformed any other commodity and appeals to the libertarians that would usually buy gold, that's probably the case

For gold I mainly buy sovereigns, tax free, easy to hold or sell, buy on a regular basis and its a good hedge.
  • Would have been a very different result today with the FTSE100 at 7,500!

so for those who wish to partake again:

message to me your prediction for the FTSE100 close price on the 30th June 2022 by 31st January but feel free to chew the cud on here for a few weeks first.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Would have been a very different result today with the FTSE100 at 7,500!

message to me your prediction for the FTSE100 close price on the 30th June 2022 by 31st January but feel free to chew the cud on here for a few weeks first.
    It needed that jump, as it would otherwise have been overtaken by the French CAC-40. I've  tracked that index for years because I have a fair bit in European funds and the two indices have never been close before. It probably is another example of how odd the FTSE 100 is as an index nowadays (although TBF I have never taken a close look at what's in the CAC-40).

Despite this jump I am probably going to go with a pretty modest rise on the closing day '21 index figure. I think most of the optimism about Covid is already priced in whereas other issues like inflation trajectory are far less clear. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Would have been a very different result today with the FTSE100 at 7,500!

It needed that jump, as it would otherwise have been overtaken by the French CAC-40. I've  tracked that index for years because I have a fair bit in European funds and the two indices have never been close before. It probably is another example of how odd the FTSE 100 is as an index nowadays (although TBF I have never taken a close look at what's in the CAC-40).

Despite this jump I am probably going to go with a pretty modest rise on the closing day '21 index figure. I think most of the optimism about Covid is already priced in whereas other issues like inflation trajectory are far less clear. 
    The FTSE 250 jumped 1.77% today and touched 24,000 intra-day.

A lot of analysts bullish on the FTSE this year but I still prefer small to mid-caps.
  • 2022, the year Covid fades to the rear view mirror and everyone remembers we exited Europe. Not to mention the Evergrande effect.  Big asset bubbles all over the place... Plenty of risk.
    Yet I see modest gains

• Premium bonds;

£25 for me, nothing for my wife or daughters...... and father in laws winning streak of about 3 years comes to an end at last!!
  • Sponsored links:

• £25 for me this month.
  • £25 for me and Mrs Chaz but junior picked up £100!
  • Hi @WishIdStayedinthePub, I hope you will excuse my perennial cynicism about “analysts”; but in that context can you think of a New Year when the majority ( what Bob Beckman back in the day of the old LBC called “ the herd” ) were NOT largely bullish?

I prefer the measured considerations of the FT Lex team, but each to their own (money)
  • £25 for me. Was hoping for enough to pay for a conservatory ……
    You spoil those chickens 
  • Hi @WishIdStayedinthePub, I hope you will excuse my perennial cynicism about “analysts”; but in that context can you think of a New Year when the majority ( what Bob Beckman back in the day of the old LBC called “ the herd” ) were NOT largely bullish?

I prefer the measured considerations of the FT Lex team, but each to their own (money)
    its much more profitable to be a perma bull than a perma bear. 
  • £25 " for" Mr F but a whopping £75 "for" me ! 
  • My premium bond prize for winning the FTSE competition.......Nothing!

its much more profitable to be a perma bull than a perma bear. 
    I think cynicism about analysts is very healthy.  Lies, damn lies and forecasts.  But it's interesting that there seems to be a lot of consensus amongst analysts that have been very pessimistic about the UK economy for years but are now positive.

And, as @kentaddick says, markets tend to go up in the long run, so it's never a bad bet to be optimistic.
  • Stumbled across this bloke recently. I think there's a lot of sense in his collection of short advice videos (other IFAs may differ on that) but it does highlight some planning considerations that might not otherwise occur. I'd regard this as a starter to help organise thoughts before speaking directly to a professional, but I've found the three or four I've watched so far to be interesting.

https://youtu.be/yXl-zVTZxr8