Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

147 break or 9 dart finish.

Comments

• I know a bloke who can play golf both left and right handed to a single figure handicap.
  • 147 all day long btw.
  • colthe3rd said:

I think it depends. If it's a case of someone doing it at home on their own then it's the 147. Think it's different once you add a stage and crowd to it. Snooker players seem able to stay calmer than dart players, probably why a hell of a lot more 147s have been achieved than 9 daters.

You can play a bad shot in a 147 but get away with it whereas with a 9 darter every throw has to be accurate.
  • bobmunro said:

Where does carrying your bat rank?

Or getting a 10fer in an innings?

Or a 59 in golf? - or a 63 in the last round under immense pressure to win the Open?

(not a hole in one - many high handicappers have got those)
    I've done 59, but then messed up the back 9 :-)
  • I've thrown a few 180's but never back to back but you're still only 1/3 of the way through the task if you hit one.

1/3 of a 147 break in snooker is 49 and I can honestly say i've got nowhere near that.

• Hmmm my best dart finish is around 20 darts (although I only ever throw when I'm drunk so can't really remember exactly how many). My highest break in snooker is around 40 and that was very fluky.
  • edited July 2016

colthe3rd said:

I think it depends. If it's a case of someone doing it at home on their own then it's the 147. Think it's different once you add a stage and crowd to it. Snooker players seem able to stay calmer than dart players, probably why a hell of a lot more 147s have been achieved than 9 daters.

You can play a bad shot in a 147 but get away with it whereas with a 9 darter every throw has to be accurate.
    All 9 of them? I'm rubbish at darts but I threw a 121 once. I couldn't hit the board in the subsequent throws. It's 36 shots for a 147, that involves a lot of planning and accuracy.

I don't have much time for either past time as a sport (I see them as games, not sports) but even I would have to accept luck plays just a small part in reaching 147. It's not even close to a nine dart finish.
  • 9 Darts

36 Pots

No contest.
  • edited July 2016
    147 is harder. It only takes an opponent to pot a ball first or to put the black on the cushion and it's impossible. With a nine dart finish there is nothing that anyone can do to stop you, if you've got it in you.
  • There have been 118 maximums in ranking tournaments in snooker since Steve Davis in 1982.

There have been 48 nine dart finishes in ranking darts tournaments since John Lowe in1984.

Now if someone can go through and add up all the frames and legs played we can probably get a definitive answer......
  • Sponsored links:

• A 147 break in snooker has got to be right up there as one of the greatest personal sporting achievements you can do.

A hat trick in a world cup final, a hole in one at the open, etc are all great, but there is so much that can go wrong with a 147 that there is no luck or reliance on others about it.
  • I dont play either well, but ive fluked an 11 dart finish when pissed... Not even got reasonably close to a 147
  • edited July 2016
  • CAFCsayer said:

I dont play either well, but ive fluked an 11 dart finish when pissed... Not even got reasonably close to a 147

11 darts at double 1 doesn't count mate.
  • 147 definitely although I'm surprised there has been so many of them.
  • prefer darts but a 147 is harder
  • GRAY9 said:

147 definitely although I'm surprised there has been so many of them.

It's almost like what we think might not align with what the facts show.
  • A 147 easily, as there are far more variables, as each snooker game is unique, with the balls in a different position.

With Darts, there's no opponent affecting your throwing, effectively you are just repeating exactly the same throws you've practised for. Still very hard of course
  • With snooker though, there is a far larger margin for error on where your cue ball lands, choice of balls to play for, time to consider your shot etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

GRAY9 said:

But we don't have the full facts. I have no idea how many frames of snooker or legs of darts are played on average in each game's tournaments, or if we're even counting a comparable amount of 'ranking tournaments'.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

colthe3rd said:

GRAY9 said:

But we don't have the full facts. I have no idea how many frames of snooker or legs of darts are played on average in each game's tournaments, or if we're even counting a comparable amount of 'ranking tournaments'.
    Well another argument is that there is a potential for a 9 darter in every single leg of darts. 147s much less so, which lends greater weight to the number of actual conversions in snooker meaning the achievement is "easier".

On the face of it it is an easy question but I think there's a lot more to it than people think.
  • You only have one first dart whereas you can have several attempts at a red before getting off the mark and going on to make a maximum.
  • If all your team mates get out cheaply then carrying your bat may not be that difficult.

I've seen the New Zealand opener do it. In the '70s, I think, guy called Graham Turner? That was purely down to the rest of the team not being fit to lace his boots.
  • colthe3rd said:

Not completely true. You could miss one of the treble 20s and get, say, the bull and that would still leave you on.
  • colthe3rd said:

Not completely true. You could miss one of the treble 20s and get, say, the bull and that would still leave you on.
    I wouldn't fancy anyone's chances of hitting a 9 darter if they hit the bull after aiming for T20.
  • Standard 9 darters are easy, which is why I go for the perfect T20,T19,Bullseye three times in a row....
  • vffvff
    edited July 2016
    MrOneLung said:

Standard 9 darters are easy, which is why I go for the perfect T20,T19,Bullseye three times in a row....

Allegedly :wink:
  • The target is so much bigger in snooker.
  • If you google "8 dart finish" there are a couple of brilliant wind ups on the Boro and Sunderland boards on achieving this sporting milestone. Apols dunno how to do links on here.