Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RD's remaining business plan for Charlton?

124»

Comments

• Yes, I think everyone is happy with a top class Academy, if it is run properly and the lads are only introduced to the first team, when they are ready.

Also, let's keep the players for a few seasons before we sell them.
  • I seem to remember reading you can't have a cat 1 academy in league 1.

Maybe it's just not economic as you need 18 full time staff and a budget of £2.5m a year but yet the payment you get when your players are taken off you is a lot lower in league 1 than in the championship....
  • I'm not sure either.

And rationally yes, you complete the build so you are ready when it's either allowed or economically feasible to run a class 1 academy.

Not all premiership clubs run one.

In Roland Land, hopefully it's a sign he's going to sell and he recognises he won't get paid for unfinished work so he's stopping the spend now. Hopefully.
  • edited July 2016
    I think my club has been stolen from me -I'm sure many share that feeling- if the situation hasn't changed come the end of the season, I think we need to start thinking about taking a leaf out of Wimbledon's book and forming a new Charlton. Hopefully it wont get to that point, but if it did, I don't feel it would be too long before both Charltons are playing in the same League!
  • I think my club has been stolen from me -I'm sure many share that feeling- if the situation hasn't changed come the end of the season, I think we need to start thinking about taking a leaf out of Wimbledon's book and forming a new Charlton. Hopefully it wont get to that point, but if it did, I don't feel it would be too long before both Charltons are playing in the same League!

I disagree. Wimbledon fans had nothing. Their club "moved" to Milton Keynes & they had no ground.

We are still Charlton and we have The Valley. I'm reasonably confident RD will be gone within a couple of years & hopefully sooner.
  • I think my club has been stolen from me -I'm sure many share that feeling- if the situation hasn't changed come the end of the season, I think we need to start thinking about taking a leaf out of Wimbledon's book and forming a new Charlton. Hopefully it wont get to that point, but if it did, I don't feel it would be too long before both Charltons are playing in the same League!

don't be ridiculous - the valley is charlton sand vica versa - you have to get out more, really
  • edited July 2016
    We may buy the Valley back along the way! I think you ought to get out more. I certainly get out a lot!

Anyway, I'm not saying we are there yet, but it is worth talking about it!
  • Sponsored links:

• We may buy the Valley back along the way! I think you ought to get out more. I certainly get out a lot!

Anyway, I'm not saying we are there yet, but it is worth talking about it!

they will be turfed out long before that ever happened
  • edited July 2016
    I hope so. What worries me is that this owner is a bit different to others! He is happy to run the club badly - other bad owners may have run it badly but tried to run it well. But why would Meire still have a job if he wanted the club run well! Maybe at his age, he doesn't care which is all the more dangerous!
  • "Hi, is that Katrien?"

"I'll give you 50% off"

"...I...I haven't said anything yet"

"And then half that again, and half that again, and then take him for free"
  • Three goalkeeper's leave in a week for just over £1m great bit of business not.
  • Is Roland going to pocket the fees and wages saved then sell the club?.
  • The sell ons will go into his pocket when he sells the club!
  • Still have no clue what this blokes plan is. It certainly doesn't look like he's too fussed on getting us back to the championship so he can sell up at a decent price.
  • Can't work it out either. He must be getting something out of it.
  • johnny73 said:

Can't work it out either. He must be getting something out of it.

You're very warm johnny :wink:
  • Still have no clue what this blokes plan is. It certainly doesn't look like he's too fussed on getting us back to the championship so he can sell up at a decent price.

Same plan that he always has, either make a profit, or break even and sell for a profit. I cannot see either, but as he never makes a mistake, it must be one or the other
  • Sponsored links:

• The only way to make a profit in the Championship is to be a very small club, just promoted from League One, with no ambitions of going any further.

Yikes, this seems foreboding....
  • Blucher said:

It's all speculative but I suspect that his plan is to garner as many transfer fees as he can in order to cover last season's losses and provide himself with a bit of a buffer for this season and then sell the club off for whatever he can get. Ideally, from his perspective, we'd be in a challenging position in League 1 but, given his desire to cut costs, this seems unlikely.

Duchatelet must by now have realised that 'breaking even' on a regular basis in the Championship is a fantasy. It always was and is particularly so now following the demise of FFP. Likewise, this club is not viable long term in League 1, given the paltry level of Sky and solidarity payments. The dilution of the network, the uncertainty about future work permits for players following Brexit and the difficulty in now achieving Category 1 Academy status are further incentives for the deluded skinflint to sling his hook. We live in hope.

In terms of price, the figure of £38million which has been floated (representing the club's 'indebtedness' to Staprix) is obviously a non-starter, given that Duchatelet acquired CAFC for £18million thirty months ago and has since taken us down and drastically shrunk the club.

Shhhhh, Don't tell Doucher!
  • I feel pretty hard done by at present. I support a football club whose owner doesn't care about winning matches, and am a member of a political party whose leader doesn't prioritise winning elections. B******s.
  • edited July 2016

I feel pretty hard done by at present. I support a football club whose owner doesn't care about winning matches, and am a member of a political party whose leader doesn't prioritise winning elections. B******s.

These things usually come in threes; will understand it if you don't want to mention the outcome of the referendum :wink:
  • Nug said:

DOUCHER said:

Overall aim seems ok minus the gimmicks - hopefully now we have a new strategy hence a proper manager it might have more chance of working

2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate....ROLAND!

She can cheer me up anytime @nug
  • RedChaser said:

I feel pretty hard done by at present. I support a football club whose owner doesn't care about winning matches, and am a member of a political party whose leader doesn't prioritise winning elections. B******s.

These things usually come in threes; will understand it if you don't want to mention the outcome of the referendum :wink:
    Doh!