Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Farage wants a second referendum...

Comments

• Options
    Democracy only fails exists in the eyes of the loser.

Just as History will always be written by the winner
  • Options

Let it go now and move on.

Which bit am I letting go? Scotland? 2% growth? Free movement of goods,services and people?

Or perhaps my life long loathing of racism and the far right?

All I can say for certain is that the petition on the referendum has gone over 1.5M today.

The petition site crashed last night under the weight of traffic. It is currently running at 50,000 new signatures an hour.

Those on remain who challenge this situation are not alone - far from it.

And this movement is made up of intelligent motivated people with a lot to lose.
    So the petitioners have superior intellect and motivated by self interest? By contrast Brexiters are right wing racist thickos with nothing to loose?
    *lose
  • Options
    'I now understand more about it than I did in the first place'. What in 24 hours? The debate has been raging for months yet you learn more in the 24 hrs since you voted than you found out before. Weird, not meaning unique on this occasion. And that Mandy women, what an idiot.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I personally think we will have a wait and see situation. If there is a financial crisis, lots of job losses, broken brexit promises and general fuckup-ery then i wouldn't be surprised to see a second referendum come about, with very different results.

This is what I've been explaining to people over here. Cameron (and Junker) said this was a "final vote," but Cameron doesn't matter now (we can argue later if he ever did). Should this throw Britain into a recession, I suspect there will be clamoring for either a redo, some sort of "line item" vote, or as you say a discussion in the Commons.
  • Options

Why at 10'clock on Thursday night did Nigel Farage say Remain were going to just win ?
    Was he set up by his hedge fund mates so they could make another killing ?
    before the Newcastle and Sunderland results came in ?
    Predicting the falling pound in the minutes before it crashed.
    So much disinformation from both sides.

Because the polls suggested they would.
    So they read the minds of the 10% who were undecided until the last hour or changed their mind in the last few days.

Farage went by what his city mates told him, not what the polls were saying.
  • Options
    But, irrespective of the result, should a potentially momentous decision, either keeping things more or less as they are or a huge leap in the dark with potentially dire consequencies, be decided by a simple majority ?
  • Options

'I now understand more about it than I did in the first place'. What in 24 hours? The debate has been raging for months yet you learn more in the 24 hrs since you voted than you found out before. Weird, not meaning uniq ue on this occasion. And that Mandy women, what an idiot.

Apparently "What will happen if Britain leaves the EU" was the most Googled term in Britain on Thursday night.

@ForeverAddickted I'm not talking about a lack of/failure of democracy. I'm talking about new situations coming to light which would cause a new vote, just as a PM calls a new vote when he feels there is a need/n confidence in him/his Government/etc.

I suppose one could argue that the Leave campaign coming out the day after and saying "yeah...we're not going to put 320m/week into the NHS might count as a "change in situation." But do you lot really believe things politicians say? Or slogans written on buses? I know here in the US we have an ~18 Month election cycle for president, so maybe that's just more time for more lies, but even basic maths would suggest that's unfeasible. But if people believe that, that's fucking quaint.

It'll be interesting to see what the EU would do should Britain change their minds. Suspect they'll demand a mea culpa, a pound of flesh, and maybe a Walk of Repentance (Note: This does not mean the Queen needs to walk naked through the streets, at least not necessarily)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nadou said:

This is where Nigel Farage should go then: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

like a boxer who's knocked spark out and demands a restart .. 'oi ref, that aint fair I never saw the punch coming' .. boo hoo
  • Options

Let it go now and move on.

Which bit am I letting go? Scotland? 2% growth? Free movement of goods,services and people?

Or perhaps my life long loathing of racism and the far right?

All I can say for certain is that the petition on the referendum has gone over 1.5M today.

The petition site crashed last night under the weight of traffic. It is currently running at 50,000 new signatures an hour.

Those on remain who challenge this situation are not alone - far from it.

And this movement is made up of intelligent motivated people with a lot to lose.
    So the petitioners have superior intellect and motivated by self interest? By contrast Brexiters are right wing racist thickos with nothing to loose?
    *lose
    I was being ironic ;-)
  • Options

Ha, I am loving some of these comments.
    You lost, get over it and get behind your country.

Nope. You learn the lesson of what went wrong and do what the anti EU citizens have been doing since our country joined, organise and campaign for what you want. You maybe won't get all you want, but you may get to mitigate things and keep most of the laws and agreements you like. Battle lost but the war continues.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

This is where Nigel Farage should go then: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Wonder how many of the people signing that petition actually went and voted to remain. Bit late now and totally pointless. Besides, what does 1m people signing a petition matter when 17-18m people voted to leave!

If we have a 2nd referendum and remain wins, do 'leave' then start a petition to have a 3rd one?

People need to get over it and move on.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Nope. You learn the lesson of what went wrong and do what the anti EU citizens have been doing since our country joined, organise and campaign for what you want. You maybe won't get all you want, but you may get to mitigate things and keep most of the laws and agreements you like. Battle lost but the war continues.
    I would even downplay that a bit (for the sake of argument) and say that it should be a "pick and choose" situation, regardless on how you voted. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, and the UK still uses the Magna Carta as a founding document FFS.

I would imagine even the most ardent "Leave" supporter doesn't disagree with ALL EU laws. I mean surely there's an obscure fishing law on the books that would at least make you say "meh, whatever."

• Options
    edited June 2016

Nadou said:

Wonder how many of the people signing that petition actually went and voted to remain. Bit late now and totally pointless. Besides, what does 1m people signing a petition matter when 17-18m people voted to leave!

If we have a 2nd referendum and remain wins, do 'leave' then start a petition to have a 3rd one?

People need to get over it and move on.
    unfortunately, there is history of rerun referenda until the pro EUs get the result they want .. I would not be at all surprised if there was not another UK referendum ordered before Cameron's stated exit time of October .. the vast majority of MPs are pro Europe .. this whole thing needs resolving .. GENERAL ELECTION please .. let the majority elect a new government which might actually carry out the will of the majority of the people
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Redrobo said:

I would even downplay that a bit (for the sake of argument) and say that it should be a "pick and choose" situation, regardless on how you voted. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, and the UK still uses the Magna Carta as a founding document FFS.

I would imagine even the most ardent "Leave" supporter doesn't disagree with ALL EU laws. I mean surely there's an obscure fishing law on the books that would at least make you say "meh, whatever."

The most ardent "Leave" supporters simply want the right for their democratically elected representatives to make the laws themselves rather than have those laws imposed upon them by an unelected EU.

The content of some of those laws is not necessarily in dispute.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

SDAddick said:

Redrobo said:

The most ardent "Leave" supporters simply want the right for their democratically elected representatives to make the laws themselves rather than have those laws imposed upon them by an unelected EU.

Right, and I think that's in line with what I was saying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope all of the people here that say that at least 50% of the eligible electorate should have to vote out will back the same principle for strike action that has been discussed recently...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

SDAddick said:

Redrobo said:

Well that's quite handy then because most of these EU derived laws that's so many hated will be kept.
  • Options

Really a Brexit should only been allowed to happen if 50% + 1 of those eligble to vote said leave. Instead of what the majority of those who did vote. So for example 17,410,742 voted to leave and where 16,141,241 said remain so more people who voted said leave. So only around 37.5% of eligble voters voted to leave. And I think around 46,500,000 people in the UK are eligble to vote. So for Britain to leave the EU at least 23,250,001 people would need to say leave for the UK to leave the EU.

Nonsense.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hex said:

But, irrespective of the result, should a potentially momentous decision, either keeping things more or less as they are or a huge leap in the dark with potentially dire consequencies, be decided by a simple majority ?

No it should be decided by a democratically elected government with strong leadership, privy to expert advice and all the salient facts and an informed prognosis of the consequences of both options, IMHO

Edited - Wtf do we elect them for if not to make decisions like this?
  • Options

Hex said:

No it should be decided by a democratically elected government with strong leadership, privy to expert advice and all the salient facts and an informed prognosis of the consequences of both options, IMHO

Who the fuck do you elect that you think can do that?

Again, I'm sorry, I'm so jaded by US politicians that if a politician has read a book other than the bible I'm just about over the moon.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Hex said:

Who the fuck do you elect that you think can do that?

Again, I'm sorry, I'm so jaded by US politicians that if a politician has read a book other than the bible I'm just about over the moon.
    Therein lies the problem, we appear to be in an age of political midgets and career politicians.
    Even those who appear to have principles lack charisma.
  • Options

Hex said:

This country is tired of experts - are you seriously telling me that experts know better?