Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst FTSE falls in history.

Comments

• Options
    The FTSE 100 reflects companies trading mostly in Europe and abroad which is why it is back up. The FTSE 250 reflects stocks in Britain and remains down. (Source BBC)
  • Options
    And now at it's highest level in a year. Mainly due to response to the BoE remarks. Still USDGBP is plumbing depths as is EURGBP.
  • Options

Ok the kiddies have panicked again today. But not as bad as expected.

Give it a couple of days and all the "experts" will be saying "market oversold, correction gone too far, excellent buying opportunity". And watch the index go back up.

I hope.

Posted above on June 27.

FTSE closed tonight at 6504, that's about 150 points higher than it closed on June 23 (the day of the Brexit vote).

Armegeddon postponed for another couple of weeks I guess. Or at least until the kiddies decide to have another panic.
  • Options
    And possibly the news that Boris is out of the running for PM?
  • Options
    FTSE is getting itself all giddy with excitement that the exit is at worst going to be put back and watered down - at best going to be nullified.

Bearing in mind we are on course to get a remainer running the country, they have good reason to feel that way.
  • Options
    You mean the FTSE that thought Remain were going to win a few hours before they LOST

• Options

Ok the kiddies have panicked again today. But not as bad as expected.

Give it a couple of days and all the "experts" will be saying "market oversold, correction gone too far, excellent buying opportunity". And watch the index go back up.

I hope.

Posted above on June 27.

FTSE closed tonight at 6504, that's about 150 points higher than it closed on June 23 (the day of the Brexit vote).

Armegeddon postponed for another couple of weeks I guess. Or at least until the kiddies decide to have another panic.
    How's the FTSE 250 going ? What does that pound/USD exchange rate look like ? This "kiddie" is still pretty concerned about the outlook for our economy.
  • Options

You mean the FTSE that thought Remain were going to win a few hours before they LOST

You're right. Scrap FTSE.
  • Options
    Kerching. 10% rise in a week. Sell now and wait for the next big dip.
  • Options

FTSE is getting itself all giddy with excitement that the exit is at worst going to be put back and watered down - at best going to be nullified.

Bearing in mind we are on course to get a remainer running the country, they have good reason to feel that way.

Are we ? If your referring to May I think she's said she won't accept freedom of movement, and Europe have said that won't get us decent access to the free market.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    se9addick said:

Are we ? If your referring to May I think she's said she won't accept freedom of movement, and Europe have said that won't get us decent access to the free market.
    She may be saying things now but this is a leadership election. She will put the economy and health of the country first. There is not way she will compromise access to the single market. Either way - it isn't going to be exactly what people thought they were voting for (no BoJo in sight for one thing, and Farage is redundant.
  • Options

se9addick said:

She may be saying things now but this is a leadership election. She will put the economy and health of the country first. There is not way she will compromise access to the single market. Either way - it isn't going to be exactly what people thought they were voting for (no BoJo in sight for one thing, and Farage is redundant.
    If this time last week taught me anything it was not to take the outcome of a vote for granted, I won't make that mistake again.
  • Options
    FTSE not doing too bad is it!! I thought it was meant to plummet rather than do what it always does - plunge for 2 or 3 days while people panic and then come back. I'm glad it's situation normal.
  • Options
    As others have said though the 100 is not a good indicator of our economy. The 250 is still way down. The companies that ha e gained this week are the multinationals, many of them mainly trading in dollars and or ha e their major markets elsewhere in the world.

The bank has already warned of a cut in IRs or possibly more quantitative easing. The danger is very much real and if people still have their fingers in their ears and are just pointing to a small rise in the 100 that everything is fine then they are either a bit dumb and/or very stubborn. Ignoring experts has caused this and to continue ignoring them would be absolutely mental.
  • Options
    Rob said:

FTSE not doing too bad is it!! I thought it was meant to plummet rather than do what it always does - plunge for 2 or 3 days while people panic and then come back. I'm glad it's situation normal.

Again I assume you're referring to the FTSE 100.

I wonder if you just see what you want to see.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Yes the FTSE 100 is back and has rebounded, but as many have said on here its not the best indicator of our economic outlook. The FTSE 250 is a much better indicator (mainly UK companies) and is down and remains down. More worrying to me is the exchange rate, the £ continues to fall against the $ and Euro. Already fuel prices have gone up (in my area) and food prices are likely to increase, holiday travel money to Euro zone and USA has decreased. We still need to see the position after a few months, but early indicators are not looking good. If interest rates are lowered again, (they are only at 0.5% now) then savers will see less returns, fuel will continue to rise as the £ falls further.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Yes the FTSE 100 is back and has rebounded, but as many have said on here its not the best indicator of our economic outlook. The FTSE 250 is a much better indicator (mainly UK companies) and is down and remains down. More worrying to me is the exchange rate, the £ continues to fall against the $ and Euro. Already fuel prices have gone up (in my area) and food prices are likely to increase, holiday travel money to Euro zone and USA has decreased. We still need to see the position after a few months, but early indicators are not looking good. If interest rates are lowered again, (they are only at 0.5% now) then savers will see less returns, fuel will continue to rise as the £ falls further.

For every negative one person sees, there's an opportunity for another. Rather then dwelling on what we may have lost, people need to look at the opportunity and what we can gain.
    Lots of 'our this ,we that' in your post SLL, culminating in your last paragraph. If you allow for a moment the idea that real lives of individual people are at the centre of their own experience and the 'our' and 'we' is not actually how it works for most people most if the time, you might be able to appreciate that it's not so simple as 'being positive' about all this.

Most people working are on employment contracts, PAYE earners, others unemployed, some unemployable for various reasons. Not so many Richard Bransons, Alan Sugars amongst us who can do anything about creating the bright new future you portray.

Your positivity is nothing but wishful thinking. A dose of realism is needed in your perspective.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Our over reliance on fuel needs to be tackled and this should mean greater investment in renewable technologies that are greener. We should be investing in the future, investing in a network of car charging points and helping people buy electric cars. The more we can move away from fuel at the pump the better.
    Aah yes. More electric cars. It will happen. But with our aging and soon to be decommissioned power stations and Hinckley C looking ever-more unlikely, I wonder what will happen to the grid when we all get home from work and plug our cars in to re-charge? In any event, as at 2015 30% of our electricity was still produced by burning imported gas.

But, perhaps more worryingly, the UK electricity network is connected to systems in France, the Netherlands and Ireland. The UK uses these to import or export electricity when it is most economical. In 2015, the UK was a net importer from France and the Netherlands with net imports of 13.8 TWh and 8.0 TWh respectively which accounted for 5.8 per cent of electricity supplied in 2015. Total net exports to Ireland amounted to 0.9 TWh. Now how's that going to go with no trade agreements for 9 years or whatever and having to pay in Euros?
  • Options

FTSE 250 is down, but not by a huge amount. If it continues to drop back to levels of 5 years ago then it's a big concern.

If many companies in the 250 export and the £ is weakened, things may look up for many of them.

Further still, if trade agreements over the coming years have a global outlook and smaller businesses can trade more freely with countries outside the EU, they may then perform better still.

As for holidays, it should mean a great boost to UK tourism if Brits look to holiday here and foreign tourists have more money to spend due to the exchange rate.

Our over reliance on fuel needs to be tackled and this should mean greater investment in renewable technologies that are greener. We should be investing in the future, investing in a network of car charging points and helping people buy electric cars. The more we can move away from fuel at the pump the better.

For every negative one person sees, there's an opportunity for another. Rather then dwelling on what we may have lost, people need to look at the opportunity and what we can gain.
    And where your point falls down is investment. Do you really think companies here will be desperate to invest in R&D for renewables given the current outlook?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lots of 'our this ,we that' in your post SLL, culminating in your last paragraph. If you allow for a moment the idea that real lives of individual people are at the centre of their own experience and the 'our' and 'we' is not actually how it works for most people most if the time, you might be able to appreciate that it's not so simple as 'being positive' about all this.

Most people working are on employment contracts, PAYE earners, others unemployed, some unemployable for various reasons. Not so many Richard Bransons, Alan Sugars amongst us who can do anything about creating the bright new future you portray.

Your positivity is nothing but wishful thinking. A dose of realism is needed in your perspective.
    When I say "we" I don't actually mean me & you personally. My post is another perspective. It was meant to be a wishing thinking against a doom thinking post. The outcome may lie in the middle or either end of the spectrum.

Nobody knows. But continual pessimistic thinking won't help anyone.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Now how's that going to go with no trade agreements for 9 years or whatever and having to pay in Euros?

Is that the agreement that's been reached then?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Now how's that going to go with no trade agreements for 9 years or whatever and having to pay in Euros?

Is that the agreement that's been reached then?
    It appears increasingly possible we won't even get a say.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

Meanwhile, bbc.co.uk/news/business-36680572
  • Options
    The price of listed shares has been supported to high values since 2008 by very low interest rates and quantities easing.

Unfortunately this is regressive because those who have large pension pots invested in shares or the even more wealthy who have large share portfolios at we'll do disproportionately well, as do those with large mortgages.

Better off chucking money out of helicopters.
  • Options

Exactly. Thats my 6500 sell level breached. Will sell tonight ( assuming my crap iPad is up to the task) and buy back when it tanks below 5500. (SIPP maybe at 5700) Expect that before year end although no idea exactly when or why. Events, dear boy, events, who was it said that?

• Options
    Wait 6 months and then see. Nothing happens until the triggering of article 50.

Levels of inward investment in the UK in the meantime would be interesting to see.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

The price of listed shares has been supported to high values since 2008 by very low interest rates and quantities easing.

Unfortunately this is regressive because those who have large pension pots invested in shares or the even more wealthy who have large share portfolios at we'll do disproportionately well, as do those with large mortgages.

Better off chucking money out of helicopters.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a party giving Friedman's theory a try soon. Promising to give every citizen £10,20,30k is going to win an election for someone. Not sure how well it will work after the hangover sets in though.
  • Options

Exactly. Thats my 6500 sell level breached. Will sell tonight ( assuming my crap iPad is up to the task) and buy back when it tanks below 5500. (SIPP maybe at 5700) Expect that before year end although no idea exactly when or why. Events, dear boy, events, who was it said that?

Prague are you a politician by any chance you was betting 5800 by end of Monday

• Options
    clb74 said:

Prague are you a politician by any chance you was betting 5800 by end of Monday

No mate. I didnt bet anything. I never bet. I only forecast it. No money involved, just an opinion. It went to 5908 if I recall. I didnt expext this big a rally but since it has happened, I will try to take advantage. I didnt vote for this shit, but if I can profit from it, I will. I just feel sorry for those who dont have the luxury of doing this. They were sold a fairy tale of a better life. Meanwhile people like me may or may not make a little bit. And Peter Hargreaves, the bloke who owns the investment web platform little people like me use, and who funded the Brexit campaign, will have made a shed load, because in his world, "insecurity is good".

Ever had the feeling you've been done like a kipper?