Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Gregory... RIP

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Very sad. Many others have said the same: he was my very first Charlton hero, my favourite player when I first went to The Valley in 1968.

RIP Harry
  • Options
    That news has made a grotty day a whole lot worse.

Harry was a real character and he used to celebrate scoring sometimes by standing on the little fence that ran round the ground separating the cinder track next to the pitch from the stands and terraces.

Somehow given the turmoil going on at the Club the death of Harry Gregory seems to epitomise the beginning of the death of Charlton.

RIP Harry
  • Options
    Had a long chat with him last season in the hospitality suite. Fantastic bloke who loved talking about the old days. RIP Harry. Legend.
  • Options
    Like so many others Harry was my first Charlton hero.

Charlton’s final league position in my first eight seasons were (from 64/65) 18, 16, 19, 15, 3, 20, 20, 21 (Relegation).

During that time Harry helped me keep the faith. I loved his up and at ‘em attitude. On his day he could turn a game, I always thought we were in with a chance with Harry on the pitch.

RIP Harry.
  • Options
    A great hero of my younger days, really good player with the vim and enthusiasm of John Robinson. RIP Harry.
  • Options
    Very sad news. Another boyhood hero gone. RIP
  • Options
    Only just seen this. That's very sad news. Always enjoyed watching "Arry play.

Once saw him bite off more than he could chew when he squared up to an opponent. Think it was the then Villa keeper John Dunn - they had a bit of a wrestle and Harry was on his back pretty quick. My memory might be totally incorrect but I don't think either of them were sent off. If so, it's a miracle.

RIP Harry.
  • Options
    All already said.....good player, and always seemed to enjoy being out there.

RIP
  • Options
    Sad news in the team when I 1st started watching from that huge Valley terracing, RIP Harry
  • Options
    RIP Harry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Harry, I'll never forget that goal you punched in and then wheeled away winking to us by the corner flag with a big grin on your face.
  • Options
    Brought a tear to my eye.....I got to know him and his wife quite well over the last few years.
    A truly lovely upbeat 'cockney gentleman', no airs and graces with Harry, just a lovely down to earth fella....what you saw is what you got and what you got was a loveable genuine individual.

RIP Harry boy..... RIP.
  • Options
    One of my first charlton heroes when I was A kid, I got to meet him several times over the last couple of years and have got photos of us together. A true gentlemen will be sorely missed. Rip harry
  • Options
    Very sad news! My dad says he was one of his most favourite players, RIP Harry
  • Options
    Loved to watch you play with a swagger backed up by boundless energy and passion for your team.
    You were much loved by the fans at the Valley and I was sad to hear of your premature passing.
    Remember you leaping into the arms of fans in the North Stand after scoring a goal.
    Thanks for the great memories!!
    R.I.P Harry boy (CAFC 1966-71).
  • Options
    RIP Harry
  • Options
    Oh dear, such sad news, Harry on his day was a great player, played with a passion and a swagger. He was truly 'a character'. Rest in peace sir. I would like to give my condolences to his family at this sad time.
  • Options
    Very sad, a real character and useful winger of his time.
  • Options
    R.I.P Harry boy.

Always a buzz of excitement when you got the ball.
  • Options
    RIP Harry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lovely man, too young to see him play, but heard plenty about him and have been lucky enough to have met him, true gent. RIP.
  • Options
    One of my favourite players of the day. RIP.
  • Options
    Loved Harry. RIP
  • Options
    Such sad news.

First saw Charlton play in 1968/69 - and that team still remains one of my favourites. I can even still reel off the team - Wright, Curtis, Kinsey, Campbell, Went, Reeves, Gregory, Treacy, Tees, Moore, Peacock

Sadly, so many players from that side seemed to have passed on recently - Curtis, Treacy, Moore, Keirs. And now Harry Gregory sadly joins them.

Incidentally, I stand to be corrected but I believe his first name was actually Gordon. Anyone know how he acquired the name Harry?

RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Harry, before my time but enjoy reading everyone's memories.

Hope this thread finds its way to his family so they can see how fondly remembered he was.
  • Options
    Fondly remember the 68-69 team. RIP Harry
  • Options
    There was real joy about the way he played the game. I can recall him playing some absolutely blinders and absolute stinkers but he kept on going, kept on fighting for the cause.

I too recall the "goal he punched in" - it was cleverly done everyone did a double take - did he really just punch that in but he was wheeling away to the corner for his customary scoring celebration.

The other abiding memory I had was the Derby game and that Ray Treacy goal. Harry played really well that day but he was driven to the point of exasperation in frustration at the Dave Mackay master class in defending. Two quality performances by two quality blokes.

Thanks for the memories Harry.
  • Options
    Harry, you were one of the reasons I became a Charlton fan.I have a lasting memory of you going for the corner flag , my Dad and I would joke about it .Very sad to hear this news .RIP Harry,thanks again Sir.