Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russell Slade

Comments

• Life's short. Get behind Russell, at least we shouldn't go down now!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2m
    BREAKING | Russell Slade makes Kevin Lisbie 1st signing as Manager of Charlton Athletic #PlayerCoach --> http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/lisbie-back-first-signing-player-coach-3135685.aspx … #cafc

Wow it's years, maybe even literal decades since I was last Rick Rolled.

Never even heard if it til a couple of months back, I think it can go into retirement now!
  • Sad really that someone is prepared to put self interest and 'cash' before morals. Why would anyone want to work for this bunch of incompetent idiots? Money talks. He'll regret it though and I doubt he'll be able to stomach their incompetence for half a season max.
  • Godstone said:

Life's short. Get behind Russell, at least we shouldn't go down now!

Let's hope that quote isn't among those famous last words ;0)

• McBobbin said:

Orient fan next door rates him. Reckons he can build a team based on team spirit that can overachieve. Also reckons with our owner that's a big ask. Yup.

Were Orient not streets ahead in the League, then lost out in the play offs. He has never got a team promoted, that won't change now. Uninspired appointment.
    Just passing on what I've heard
  • Essex_Al said:

That's exactly what we want - hungry players

Reluctantly I gave you a lol, I had to as it was a cross from being so poor to being funny!
  • edited June 2016

McBobbin said:

Orient fan next door rates him. Reckons he can build a team based on team spirit that can overachieve. Also reckons with our owner that's a big ask. Yup.

Were Orient not streets ahead in the League, then lost out in the play offs. He has never got a team promoted, that won't change now. Uninspired appointment.
    Yet Leyton Orient didnt have a budget that season... He was fighting for promotion against the likes of Wolves so to build a side on mostly free transfers (sound familiar to someone else) and get them fighting for promotion was no mean feet and its no surprise that they failed because Orient had no squad depth compared to everyone else.

I wasn't keen on Slade last week but hearing things from others I'm slowly warming to him... the fact he creates Team Spirit is the biggest requirement for Charlton Athletic at the moment, our players are so divided its a joke, the spirit of the team needs to be worked on before we even think about anything else!!
  • Time to get behind the team. Hope the players and Manger don't get booed this season before they are given a chance.

I agree still wont be getting season tickets but willing to give Russell Slade a chance hoping the ethos of the club has changed. Was telling myself should be going to Welling or Bromley next season but at the end of the day I am a Charlton supporter and always will be through thick and at the moment very very thin days. Its the hope that kills you!

This for me.
    No season ticket for the first time in 18 years but will attend on a match by match basis
  • Sponsored links:

• Time to get behind the team. Hope the players and Manger don't get booed this season before they are given a chance.

I agree still wont be getting season tickets but willing to give Russell Slade a chance hoping the ethos of the club has changed. Was telling myself should be going to Welling or Bromley next season but at the end of the day I am a Charlton supporter and always will be through thick and at the moment very very thin days. Its the hope that kills you!

This for me.
    No season ticket for the first time in 18 years but will attend on a match by match basis
    And end up giving RD more money than those who have purchased season tickets!
  • Just looked at his long managerial record. Based on his CV the only rationale I can see for his appointment is to stop us being relegated to league 2!
  • Not being an avid follower of what goes on at other teams I would be very interested to know (Tutt Tutt ?) what style of football Slade likes to employ.
  • http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/14540373.Slade_gets_the_nod_for_Charlton_job_ahead_of_Wanderers_linked_Adkins/

It's always interesting how other people see us
    CHARLTON Athletic mopped up their managerial mess yesterday, which could have a knock-on effect for Wanderers.

The South Londoners confirmed Russell Slade as their new boss, over-looking Nigel Adkins in the process.

Adkins has been interviewed by both clubs but despite impressing Charlton CEO Katrien Meire in their discussions, former Cardiff City chief Slade was handed the task of taking the club back into the Championship on what is likely to be one of the division’s best playing budgets.
  • Godstone said:

I will only be going to the valley to protest and disrupt and that will be aimed as usual at Miere Murray and whoever their puppet manager that week is
  • edited June 2016

Sad really that someone is prepared to put self interest and 'cash' before morals. Why would anyone want to work for this bunch of incompetent idiots? Money talks. He'll regret it though and I doubt he'll be able to stomach their incompetence for half a season max.

Morals?

He's accepted a job as a football manager, not agreed to work for drug dealers or terrorists!

Besides, not working for incompetent idiots would rule out about a quarter of clubs in the country, including Cardiff where he was before.
    Agreed. I work for "incompetent idiots" but I like the people I work with and the job itself is pretty interesting. If we chose to only work for competent people, most of us would be skint.
  • Not being an avid follower of what goes on at other teams I would be very interested to know (Tutt Tutt ?) what style of football Slade likes to employ.

Glam rock
  • Sponsored links:

Well can only judge on 2 games we've played against Cardiff in last couple of seasons but it's a very direct approach. Especially in the 1-1 game on boxing day, we were down to 10 men and his tactics we're back to front very quickly towards Kenwene Jones and every chance they had Gunnarsson hitting the box with long throws. At the time I thought he was way out of his depth because they should have used the extra man far better but obviously that's on the basis of 1 game and I think he done a great job to get Cardiff to finish 8th despite being under a transfer embargo, perhaps that's because he had a chance to get players (loan and free) which he wanted to build a good team spirit and atmosphere.
  • Godstone said:

Make your mind up, are we getting behind him or going down :wink:
  • Our Alex Ferguson.

Hope he's not our David Moyes!

• 7 Belgium MF Kylian Hazard

Eden's brother - I would take him

• 7 Belgium MF Kylian Hazard

Eden's brother - I would take him
    Can you just imagine the CL carnage if our first signing is Belgian.

• Seem to remember David Moyes doing pretty well at Everton.

I hope he's not our tim sherwood.
  • Think he's a crap manager!!!

Genuinely don't know if this opinion is because I'm fall out of love with cafc ATM or if his record is any good.

Either way I'm not inspired enough to buy a season ticket
  • I thought he came across well in the press interview and would be a boss I would be happy to work for.

His impact on the players will be all the greater given the twerps that have been there since SCP.

I do not know what a "big budget" is in this league or what this means to us. One would hope it means keeping the majority of the 1st team squad and then strengthening in some areas. One can but hope.

I always worry when managers say they only want players who want to play for the shirt. This is the excuse that is rolled out when you decide to cash in on a player. If you don't sell they will still need to perform for their next contract, plus it is in their DNA. I have never even had a kick about that I did not want to win and I bet you are all the same. In short, it's bollocks.

When buying it really means is that we want players to be prepared to give their all for the money we are prepared to pay.

What I hope he meant is players who are able to play in the formation he wishes to play, given that we will need to cash in a couple of playes to balance the books. I thin that was what he alluded to when he said they would only leave at a price we were happy with.

All things considered I think this is a good appointment and it is a relief and at least a bit exciting.

Welcome Sir.