Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else confused about next season?

13»

Comments

• Options

The whole situation is a mess, and to me there's so right thing to do, it's up to individuals to choose.

What has struck me, is that many of the people buying season tickets for other clubs (whether lower league on non league) are mainly living a considerable distance from The Valley, well outside of the "natural" catchment area of a football club. I imagine its easier to make such a decision in such circumstances, than if you lived in say Woolwich or Blackheath

This is spot on. If I lived a short walk or bus ride from The Valley then I'd probably be more active in protesting, etc, and less inclined to start going to a non-league club I've watched on and off for more than two decades. But a three-hour round trip makes it much easier to simply boycott The Valley and switch to an alternative football fix until RD is gone.

And it also means a Ryman Premier club gets some much-needed revenue, out of RD's pockets and into the grassroots of the peoples' game. I'd say that's win-win as long as the regime remains in place.
  • Options

Through health issues I haven't attended more than a handful of games this season and because of what's happening to our club I originally decided that I wouldn't be attending next season.

I've now decided that the madman Duchatelet and his minions are not going to come between me and Charlton Athletic. It's what I do on Saturdays and have for 55 years win, lose or draw. I support the shirt and all it stands for. I'll protest and not spend a penny more than I have to but he's not going to destroy the Charlton that's in my heart.

Well said
  • Options

Through health issues I haven't attended more than a handful of games this season and because of what's happening to our club I originally decided that I wouldn't be attending next season.

I've now decided that the madman Duchatelet and his minions are not going to come between me and Charlton Athletic. It's what I do on Saturdays and have for 55 years win, lose or draw. I support the shirt and all it stands for. I'll protest and not spend a penny more than I have to but he's not going to destroy the Charlton that's in my heart.

Spot on SHG.
  • Options
    The lack of a decent pre-season schedule under a respected gaffer, not to mention any new players that won't have time to "gel" (whatever that means) with the squad, must point towards mid-table at best, and every chance of a flirt with relegation again.

I predict another Wim Bom Van Der Nubbidy as gaffer, with an equally notable sidekick, and ten new players with names like Eurovision presenters.

As the AWB put it - "maybe we'll turn back the hands of time"
  • Options

The whole situation is a mess, and to me there's no right thing to do, it's up to individuals to choose.

What has struck me, is that many of the people buying season tickets for other clubs (whether lower league on non league) are mainly living a considerable distance from The Valley, well outside of the "natural" catchment area of a football club. I imagine its easier to make such a decision in such circumstances, than if you lived in say Woolwich or Blackheath

That is true to some extent - but in my case and many others, it just goes to show how badly and deeply their ownership has affected some. I may NOW live in Essex, but I was born in Sidcup, raised nr Swanley and for the past 11 years have happily commuted from Essex to the Valley as a season ticket holder and would have continued to do so for the rest of my life I guess. Same with my Dad - born and raised in Bromley/Orpington but NOW lives in nr Maidstone. But again, has never had a problem driving from Maidstone to SE7 and back.

As someone has mentioned, it has cost me MORE in season tickets to watch southend than it would have at Charlton. But the difference is, I dont have to travel miles to watch a game. I dont have to watch a club I love dearly slip into the conference. I dont have to be mindful of spending money at the ground (which I fully support by the way, less money to RD the better). I wont feel sad, angry and bitter when they lose, becuase I dont fully support them.

But none of this would have been an option a few seasons ago - even with a relegation or even 2, I would never have thought about leaving my club. But the truth it, I just dont want to go anymore. I hate the owner. I hate the MD. I have very little time or connection with a lot of the players. I struggle to respect any manager who is prepared to work under their ownership. I hate the sofa. So why would I keep on going?
  • Options
    Whats to be confused about... 46-games as Charlton face each side home and away with a lot of tears.

Nothing confusing about that, just the norm!! ;)
  • Options

Great post and spot on for me.

After almost two decades living abroad, I started going regularly to the Valley again just 2 years ago. Very bad timing for our club's fortunes. But now I'm going to matches with my 86 year old dad and 12 year old son. Spending time together (albeit suffering our idiot owner and CEO) is a precious thing and won't last forever, maybe not even till said idiot owner is out of our club.

I also thought @thai malaysia addick's opening post was spot on. It's really confusing right now and each individual fan needs to make decisions on how to support, how to protest, etc. based on his or her individual circumstances.

Having said that, there's no way any of us are giving them any money up front for season tickets!
  • Options
    As long as this lot remain in charge the crowd and support will just drop off due to the terrible atmosphere and awful football. I have been more interested in the fate of Wimbledon recently as they resemble a proper football club where the fans have a proper voice - getting from tier 9 of the football pyramid to League 1 after rebuilding from scratch is amazing. We seem to be doing the exact opposite.
    What RD and KM have done is criminal....
  • Options
    No confusion here:
    1) CAFC is owned by a lunatic
    2) The business is run by a mendacious chancer
    3) The football will be awful
    4) The squad will be inadequate
    5) The first team manager/head coach/interim patsy/whatever will be replaced at least twice during the season
    6) Avoiding relegation will rely more on there being 4 shittier/unluckier teams than Charlton
    All the while that 1 &/or 2 remain true 3 to 6 are inevitable

Keep smilin'