Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Motorbikes

Comments

• Options

Surely you don't need stabilisers Daz?

After 4 years riding I think even some car drivers could use them!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @Dazzler21 That's a full on race bike.

Broc Parkes (name is on the screen) has raced in MotoGP, British Superbikes and World Supersport.

I know you don't mean that bike specifically but that's the kind of thing you'd be replicating. That has a lighter fairing, racing exhaust, decals, plus all sorts of internal gizmos. None of it's cheap!

You can pick up track bikes fairly cheaply though, if that's your bag. You'd then need a (hire?) van to take it to Brands or wherever. Otherwise you can buy a sports bike and do what you want to it as long it's road legal, the only barriers are your knowledge and wallet. Have a nose about on Sportsbikeshop.co.uk to see what kind of gear is easily available.

You could also pay and get a fairing custom painted but I can't recommend a company I'm afraid. Setting up your suspension for your height and weight is an idea too (some mechanics locally can do that).

Are you thinking of selling your XJ6 then?
  • Options
    Vinyl wrap is the way to go if its just the black carbon look your after .
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not fussed about track or race bikes just love that carbon look. I live near Box Hill and you get some beauties down there!
  • Options
    This thread reminded me that some years ago an ancient relative asked me if I wanted his old bike which was gathering dust in the garage but otherwise in good nick. I said, "nah, thanks, that's okay". It was an Ariel Square Four....
    Just looking at prices on-line and even I now know that was probably the wrong answer.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

This thread reminded me that some years ago an ancient relative asked me if I wanted his old bike which was gathering dust in the garage but otherwise in good nick. I said, "nah, thanks, that's okay". It was an Ariel Square Four....
    Just looking at prices on-line and even I now know that was probably the wrong answer.

Have a look at the price these are going for !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FS1-E-50cc-Fizzy-Classic-Sports-Moped-FS1E-Two-Stroke-1975-/401145734625?hash=item5d662625e1:g:zs0AAOSwzJ5XdQB1
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I would absolutely love a squarial. Beautiful sound.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Anyone know about customising bikes. Not in terms of performance as such, but I keep seeing bikes like this beauty and as such want to make mine more personalised.

I don't want all the decals but this thing looks insane.

This was one idea i had to personalise but i guess it's not what you had in mind.image
  • Options

Greenie said:

LuckyReds said:

Bit of a bump; back in May I was talking about getting in to biking. I've now decided to take the plunge, mainly due to watching far too many RoyalJordanian videos on YouTube.

I was skimming over a leaflet on the direct.gov.uk site, and it seems fairly clear. (1. CBT -> 2. Motorcycle Theory -> [Direct Access] or [Mod 1 -> Mod 2])

So I'm going to ring around a few places and try and get my CBT out of the way as soon as possible, and look at getting a 125cc (Most likely a Yamaha YBR 125) whilst I prepare for the Theory and actual Tests. I thought about getting a brand new 125cc, but figured that £2.8k on something which - hopefully - I'll only be using for a few months (or a year or so) is a bit stupid. A quick look on AutoTrader and it appears I'll be able to get a better deal than that.

Does anyone have any tips though? There's the obvious necessities (Helmet, Gloves and so on), but any good tips for gaining confidence and getting my head around the theory?

As above, get the best kit you can afford. And, Direct Access might be better if you already drive a car.
    Buy a cheap 'first bike' to make silly mistakes on (you will) things like forgetting to put the stand down, or trying to ride away with your disc lock still on, parking it facing down a hill, ....best to make novice errors on an old snotter before you shell out for something more lively.
    In the spring and summer get yourself down to bike meets at places like the Oakdene on the A20 near Wrotham, most people who ride bikes love to chat about them.
    Riding a bike is so rewarding, its about freedom, but you also need to develop that 6th sense, which only comes with experience, ALL car drivers are myopic, and dont have a scooby, accept that and you will do well.
    Also once you've been on a sports bike there is no such thing as a fast car, so the grin factor is immense.
    Keep it sunny side up and you'll have a blast.

http://www.thebikerguide.co.uk/bikerfriendlycafemeetingplaceskent.html
    I went on a track day with road cars - Ferrari, Aston, Audi R8, Boxster, etc. All of them except for the 911 Turbo, you put your foot down and wonder where the feeling of acceleration is. Compared to a decent road bike, they were so wimpish.
    I reckon a bike curbs your desire to slam the right foot down when you get in a car, except when you need to.

Not at all. I had the track all to myself and floored the accelerator. Nothing apart from the 911 had any guts compared to a bike.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Anyone know about customising bikes. Not in terms of performance as such, but I keep seeing bikes like this beauty and as such want to make mine more personalised.

There are two elements to making a good custom - having a good eye for design, and money. There's an awful lot of the latter in the carbon fiber on that one you've pictured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

This was one idea i had to personalise but i guess it's not what you had in mind.image
    That Yamaha engine lends itself rather well to '60s style customising.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

That Yamaha engine lends itself rather well to '60s style customising.
    Indeed. It helps that it was designed in the 60's as a direct competitor for the Bonneville.
  • Options
    Missed this at the time, I acually really like that custom @TellyTubby , however after having a bike with a faring I don't think I could go without one now on longer rides.
  • Options
    CBR600F does everything a bike can do. Sporty, commutes and 2 up touring. I loved mine. Wish I could still ride, but now stuck with boring cars.
  • Options
    Just booked my CBT in for May now COVID restrictions have allowed it and looking to go down the Direct Access route, but later in the year or early next. Plan is to get some experience on a 125 in that time commuting to work over the summer and other rides out down through Kent.

With COVID, there is a lot less choice out there than I would expect in normal times on places like eBay, Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree. A quick Google shows a few independent bike shops around North West Kent but anyone have any dealings with any? Any recommendations? Also anyone used these eBay only storefronts? Primary Motors in Brighton have a small range but being eBay shop only just doesn't fill me with confidence. Maybe that says more about me!

Done a bit of research and the choice generally seems to be Honda CBF, CBR or Yamaha YBR. Also looked at Kymco as there was one on eBay over the weekend. So again, any recommendations here would be appreciated. TIA
  • Options
    Lots of my friends and family are into motorcycles, I have done my CBT twice and never got round to doing the full test partly down to a bad experience on a GSXR600 which I was miles too inexperienced to play with and mostly because I hadn't seen sons of anarchy at that point in my life and was too precious about not being collected by some idiot in a car on their phone 

However stock advice is to steer miles clear of the Chinese 125s badly made and have zero resell value, whatever 125 you get, go for what sits you as you will be looking to ride once qualified be that sports, tourer. There is an excellent bike shop on Luton Road in Chatham and people swear by the place they will look after you 
  • Options
    Talk to the lads who will training you and testing you on your CBT test, they will have knowledge, contacts and know the local bike shops. When I did my CBT the road test part was delivering a small package to a bike shop in Welling and when we arrived the first thing the guy said was am I looking for a bike, if so he will give me a discount. 

Take a note of what bike you do your CBT on, if it feels right and comfortable no harm in looking at buying one.

Good luck 
  • Options
    I loved my old CBF. I think the bottom line is that if you go for any of the big name brands you should be alright. If you go for something cheap from a company you've never heard of you might be alright for a few months whilst you pick up your full licence, but you could end up with a dog that will give you a load of hassle and unexpected costs and ultimately suck the fun out of riding.
  • Options
    I'm really out of touch now not having ridden a bike for 30 years. Whats the rules on licence, mines old (1990) so think I can ride a 125cc without CBT, certainly used to! 
  • Options
    Was a motorcyclist for many years.
    Loved it for the many joys and benefits (like no traffic jams), but would never return because enough other road users hate you and want to kill or maim you, and to whom you can be invisible.
    Every time I consider(ed) a return to biking I would look at the bumps and scrapes and dents and scratches on so many four wheeled vehicles and assume that any one of those bits of damage could’ve been a bikers life, or put a biker in a wheelchair.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Riley in Crayford has a CB125F with decent mileage for £2k https://www.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/kent/dartford/john-riley-motorcycles-23925/stock?sort=price-asc&page=1&dealer=23925&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_bikes&advertising-location=at_profile_bikes

They're friendly and delivered my first bike to my door. Avoid Swanley Honda if you can. Ride DMC in Dartford are good but don't have any small/cheap bikes currently.

You don't want to over spend on a first bike, and buy gear in neutral colours so you're not putting it on eBay months later.
  • Options
    Seemed to of missed Riley's in my search. Thanks. Swanley Honda is within walking distance of me @RedPanda, bad experience I take it?
  • Options
    I had a problem starting my old CBR600F when warm. They charged me a lot and it turned out it hadn't been fixed. 

Before that when I traded in my CBF125 they listed it for more than I'd given John Riley for it 4000 miles earlier. I also have a mate who agreed a sale to them then they reduced the offer at the 11th hour. So they feel like chancers compared to other dealers I've used. 

• Options
    Carter said:
    Lots of my friends and family are into motorcycles, I have done my CBT twice and never got round to doing the full test partly down to a bad experience on a GSXR600 which I was miles too inexperienced to play with and mostly because I hadn't seen sons of anarchy at that point in my life and was too precious about not being collected by some idiot in a car on their phone 

However stock advice is to steer miles clear of the Chinese 125s badly made and have zero resell value, whatever 125 you get, go for what sits you as you will be looking to ride once qualified be that sports, tourer. There is an excellent bike shop on Luton Road in Chatham and people swear by the place they will look after you 

Bowen Moto is the name of the shop. It's where I bought my Kawasaki from (profile pic)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm really out of touch now not having ridden a bike for 30 years. Whats the rules on licence, mines old (1990) so think I can ride a 125cc without CBT, certainly used to! 

No. Granddad rights only work for 50cc. 125cc you will have to take a CBT every 2 yrs if you choose not to take your test

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    I had a problem starting my old CBR600F when warm. They charged me a lot and it turned out it hadn't been fixed. 

Before that when I traded in my CBF125 they listed it for more than I'd given John Riley for it 4000 miles earlier. I also have a mate who agreed a sale to them then they reduced the offer at the 11th hour. So they feel like chancers compared to other dealers I've used. 

Cheers. Whilst everyone has different experiences it's good to hear good and bad reviews of places. Like I said its very local and have heard lots of good so interesting to hear the other side too.
  • Options
    Miss my MC
  • Options
    My mate gushes over his AJS Matchless and TriField bikes from 50's-60's. It passes me by, this two wheeled fanaticism. He was telling me yesterday he was thinking of buying a vintage Steib sidecar for me to have a go in. 🤬
  • Options
    Recently returned to bikes.  Only been away for a few years but really missed not having a bike.  No sports bike for me in my 60’s.  Love the retro style.  Bought a secondhand Triumph T120 Bonneville.  Great bike - love it.  My 6th Triumph over many years...but definitely a fine weather rider theses days.
  • Options
    My mate gushes over his AJS Matchless and TriField bikes from 50's-60's. It passes me by, this two wheeled fanaticism. He was telling me yesterday he was thinking of buying a vintage Steib sidecar for me to have a go in. 🤬
    I have a 1952 AJS 350 but mostly classic Japanese bikes. Mrs TT recently had a Royal Enfield Himalayan for her 60th birthday as her vmax is a bit of a beast when she is out on her own.

Four years ago we decided that Mrs TTs mother was too old to ride pillion and we have now put a sidecar on Mrs TTs xs650 to allow her mum to join us on short rides.

The sidecar is unique and you will love it I'm sure. If my 92yr old mother in law gets in without a moment's thought, I'm sure that you can @The Prince-e-Paul