Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Motorbikes

Comments

• Options
    olster said:

olster said:

My bike and Sam

Nice one @olster. Have exactly the same bike myself.
    Good taste. Thinking of changing to something more modern and lighter though, had a ride on my dad's street triple at the weekend which was lovely. Thinking about a 690 duke, or something similar.
    The Duke has got me thinking now. I only really ride in the summer months so might not be able to justify a new purchase!
  • Options

olster said:

olster said:

My bike and Sam

Good taste. Thinking of changing to something more modern and lighter though, had a ride on my dad's street triple at the weekend which was lovely. Thinking about a 690 duke, or something similar.
    The Duke has got me thinking now. I only really ride in the summer months so might not be able to justify a new purchase!
    You can always justify any motorbike purchase.
  • Options

olster said:

olster said:

My bike and Sam

You can always justify any motorbike purchase.
    Thats what i explained to my Mrs when i went and picked up my Honda 600RR ;)
  • Options
    Your 37 times more likely to have a fatal accident on a motorbike then driving a car. A stat that sort of makes me question things.

A bit alarming but you've gotta live and go with your gut
  • Options
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1166740453

Got an eye on this. I want a cruiser it's sexy, cheap, basic, comfortable.

For that price it will need a service and major check up, other then that it's a steal!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Bit of a bump; back in May I was talking about getting in to biking. I've now decided to take the plunge, mainly due to watching far too many RoyalJordanian videos on YouTube.

I was skimming over a leaflet on the direct.gov.uk site, and it seems fairly clear. (1. CBT -> 2. Motorcycle Theory -> [Direct Access] or [Mod 1 -> Mod 2])

So I'm going to ring around a few places and try and get my CBT out of the way as soon as possible, and look at getting a 125cc (Most likely a Yamaha YBR 125) whilst I prepare for the Theory and actual Tests. I thought about getting a brand new 125cc, but figured that £2.8k on something which - hopefully - I'll only be using for a few months (or a year or so) is a bit stupid. A quick look on AutoTrader and it appears I'll be able to get a better deal than that.

Does anyone have any tips though? There's the obvious necessities (Helmet, Gloves and so on), but any good tips for gaining confidence and getting my head around the theory?
  • Options
    Anyone buying a new 125 is mad. Use the money you save buying a second hand bike to purchase quality kit. The kit stays with you longer than the 125 (hopefully) and cheap kit will leak, not keep you warm and not last.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Bit of a bump; back in May I was talking about getting in to biking. I've now decided to take the plunge, mainly due to watching far too many RoyalJordanian videos on YouTube.

I was skimming over a leaflet on the direct.gov.uk site, and it seems fairly clear. (1. CBT -> 2. Motorcycle Theory -> [Direct Access] or [Mod 1 -> Mod 2])

So I'm going to ring around a few places and try and get my CBT out of the way as soon as possible, and look at getting a 125cc (Most likely a Yamaha YBR 125) whilst I prepare for the Theory and actual Tests. I thought about getting a brand new 125cc, but figured that £2.8k on something which - hopefully - I'll only be using for a few months (or a year or so) is a bit stupid. A quick look on AutoTrader and it appears I'll be able to get a better deal than that.

Does anyone have any tips though? There's the obvious necessities (Helmet, Gloves and so on), but any good tips for gaining confidence and getting my head around the theory?

Southern Rider Training on the Ruxley Round a bout

Get a Lambretta
  • Options
    Passed my test long before theory test was ever thought of so can't help there I am afraid.

Confidence comes with knowledge and experience.

Knowledge if your bike, the road conditions, how you will react in given situations.

I passed my test in the seventies so signed up on a bike safe course this year as I have had good feedback about the scheme. The main thing I came away with was positioning yourself on the road. Take up a position that gives you most time to reach to other road users mistakes.
    Move toward the centre of the road as you approach a side road on your left for example.
    Overtaking is a very common manoeuvre but needs to be considered carefully before completed. Never overtake with a turning either side and make sure you have a gap to get to before setting out to overtake.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I did my CBT and test here in catford: http://www.lmrt.biz/about.html

Highly recommended, though it was six or so years ago. I didn't bother with getting a 125, just went through and did my test after doing my CBT. But, I had cycled for years on the rode, had been around bikes for years and generally have a pretty good road sense.

Yeah buying a second hand 125 is the way forward. You can get excellent kit off of Ebay second hand, especially in winter - but always buy helmets new.

I've never ridden one, but always been a fan of the Suzuki RV125 Vanvan as a first bike. Low, simple and relaxed body position.

Dream 125 for me would be a late 90s Aprillia RS125, but would be a silly first bike.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Presume you've also seen BVG on youtube too? Some of his video's are great.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

If you are a car driver the theory test should be a piece of piss because you will know most of the answers. I did a 5 day direct access course to get my bike licence and if I am honest the theory test was the easiest part.
  • Options
    Don't know if the rules have changed since the eighties but I took my part 1 at Cinque Ports somewhere in Kent and part 2 (road test} in Belvedere a week later. The following week I was the proud owner of a Yahama R6. Dont bother with a 125 unless you are 7 stone soaking wet. Buy good quality gear and have fun.
  • Options
    Made a mistake there,first bike after after passing my test was a Kawasaki 550 LTD Custom. R6 came later.
  • Options
    Ride as much as you can and hone your road craft, and remember don't take anything for granted with other road users , there is a "couldn't give a S**T " mind-set with a lot of road users out there , more likely to knock you off and give you a good kicking just to make sure .Other that , Enjoy yourself , join a online biker group , plenty of ride outs .
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Get a Lambretta
    Yer buy a Lambretta if you want to feel the wind rushing through your vagina! ;o)
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

As above, get the best kit you can afford. And, Direct Access might be better if you already drive a car.
    Buy a cheap 'first bike' to make silly mistakes on (you will) things like forgetting to put the stand down, or trying to ride away with your disc lock still on, parking it facing down a hill, ....best to make novice errors on an old snotter before you shell out for something more lively.
    In the spring and summer get yourself down to bike meets at places like the Oakdene on the A20 near Wrotham, most people who ride bikes love to chat about them.
    Riding a bike is so rewarding, its about freedom, but you also need to develop that 6th sense, which only comes with experience, ALL car drivers are myopic, and dont have a scooby, accept that and you will do well.
    Also once you've been on a sports bike there is no such thing as a fast car, so the grin factor is immense.
    Keep it sunny side up and you'll have a blast.

http://www.thebikerguide.co.uk/bikerfriendlycafemeetingplaceskent.html
  • Options
    Greenie said:

LuckyReds said:

Get a Lambretta
    Yer buy a Lambretta if you want to feel the wind rushing through your vagina! ;o)
    7 inch soft vagina
  • Options
    I have a passionate interest in Native American History and indulged in a holiday in the USA, in August, to follow that passion. As part of that holiday, I spent 4 days in the Black Hills, South Dakota the spiritual home of the USA annual bike rally (Sturgis, South Dakota).

I deliberately visited Sturgis two days before the start of the week-long rally, because I wanted to experience it but didn't want to be overwhelmed by it. The main street in Sturgis was full of tents selling biker memorabilia and the whole town was buzzing.

I must say it was great fun. Saw and spoke to many bikers whilst in various parts of the Black Hills and the experience greatly enhanced my holiday.

• Options
    PeterGage said:

I have a passionate interest in Native American History and indulged in a holiday in the USA, in August, to follow that passion. As part of that holiday, I spent 4 days in the Black Hills, South Dakota the spiritual home of the USA annual bike rally (Sturgis, South Dakota).

I deliberately visited Sturgis two days before the start of the week-long rally, because I wanted to experience it but didn't want to be overwhelmed by it. The main street in Sturgis was full of tents selling biker memorabilia and the whole town was buzzing.

I must say it was great fun. Saw and spoke to many bikers whilst in various parts of the Black Hills and the experience greatly enhanced my holiday.

You lucky so and so. Ive seen footage of Sturgis on TV and it looks mental.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    LuckyReds said:

I'm totally against doing the CBT and straight onto Direct access or Mod 1-> Mod 2 for a big bike,

The 18 months between passing CBT and moving onto my full bike licence gave me a ton of knowledge, experience and awareness of idiots on the road that has been so beneficial moving up onto a big bike.

The big bike however isn't any where near as economical as the car and as such, I have become somewhat a fair weather rider when before I was 100% all weather having braved anything from baking hot days to snowy rides home from work on the 125.

As others have said, get a 2nd or third hand 125 then spend on safety gear.

My safety gear saved me 6 months into riding, few scratches and bruises is all I came out with, bike took a few hundred to put right.
  • Options
    Put my ZX7R on ebay last night.

Sad day. Won't be getting anything to replace it.
  • Options
    Massive apologies to everyone who posted, really helpfully too, and didn't get a response. I really do appreciate the help! CharltonLife has quickly become my go-to for just about anything.
    Dazzler21 said:

LuckyReds said:

I'm totally against doing the CBT and straight onto Direct access or Mod 1-> Mod 2 for a big bike,

The 18 months between passing CBT and moving onto my full bike licence gave me a ton of knowledge, experience and awareness of idiots on the road that has been so beneficial moving up onto a big bike.

The big bike however isn't any where near as economical as the car and as such, I have become somewhat a fair weather rider when before I was 100% all weather having braved anything from baking hot days to snowy rides home from work on the 125.

As others have said, get a 2nd or third hand 125 then spend on safety gear.

My safety gear saved me 6 months into riding, few scratches and bruises is all I came out with, bike took a few hundred to put right.
    Honestly speaking? I agree with you 110% now. The CBT absolutely stunned me that it made me road-legal so easily. In fact I'm going to do my motorcycle theory test on March 11th, and although I probably wont do DA or Mod 1/2 that soon, I'd still like to get it under my belt just to give me a bit more confidence with regards to how the roads work. (I went through a red light on my CBT FFS!)

Completely agree about getting a second hand 125 as I'm undoubtedly going to drop it, or otherwise scuff it up. Although I did like the thought of commuting on the Honda MSX125/Grom for a few months, it seems to extravagant for something that I'm going to abuse for a bit.

I'll probably go bike shopping next month, when I have a better idea about my finances. I've already got a store in mind for safety gear though, and that's something I've already began looking around at.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

LuckyReds said:

As above, get the best kit you can afford. And, Direct Access might be better if you already drive a car.
    Buy a cheap 'first bike' to make silly mistakes on (you will) things like forgetting to put the stand down, or trying to ride away with your disc lock still on, parking it facing down a hill, ....best to make novice errors on an old snotter before you shell out for something more lively.
    In the spring and summer get yourself down to bike meets at places like the Oakdene on the A20 near Wrotham, most people who ride bikes love to chat about them.
    Riding a bike is so rewarding, its about freedom, but you also need to develop that 6th sense, which only comes with experience, ALL car drivers are myopic, and dont have a scooby, accept that and you will do well.
    Also once you've been on a sports bike there is no such thing as a fast car, so the grin factor is immense.

I went on a track day with road cars - Ferrari, Aston, Audi R8, Boxster, etc. All of them except for the 911 Turbo, you put your foot down and wonder where the feeling of acceleration is. Compared to a decent road bike, they were so wimpish.
  • Options

Greenie said:

LuckyReds said:

I went on a track day with road cars - Ferrari, Aston, Audi R8, Boxster, etc. All of them except for the 911 Turbo, you put your foot down and wonder where the feeling of acceleration is. Compared to a decent road bike, they were so wimpish.
    I reckon a bike curbs your desire to slam the right foot down when you get in a car, except when you need to.

• Options

Greenie said:

LuckyReds said:

I agree mate, also there is more input, ergo skill, required to wring the neck of a sports bike, and get around a track quickly. You can afford to get it wrong, if you do it will spin, get it wrong on a bike and its painful and expensive.
    I wouldn't mind a Caterham 7 though, Ive driven one and it was a bloody good laugh. Great track day car, superb corner speed.
  • Options
    Picked this one up just before Xmas, 96 Blade with only 26k on the clock, loads of kit, Stage One tuned, bloody bargain. Not as brutal is my Gixer Thousand tho. 0-60 about 2.5 secs (if you can keep the front end down) 0-100 and stops again in under 10 secs. Always wanted a 'blade.
    Just waiting for some decent weather. YEEHAH!

Also like Olster I had a ZX7, absolutely lovely bikes.
  • Options
    Beautiful bike @greenie - shames it's not the urban tiger colour scheme though.

Best fairing holes in the history of bike design
  • Options
    Anyone know about customising bikes. Not in terms of performance as such, but I keep seeing bikes like this beauty and as such want to make mine more personalised.

I don't want all the decals but this thing looks insane.
  • Options
    Surely you don't need stabilisers Daz?