Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst British manager we could appoint...

124»

Comments

• Options
    Gareth Southgate or David Platt.

My own personal choice would be Jim Fallon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fallon_(footballer)
    A record that the Belgians simply can't ignore.
  • Options

For worst manager? Southgate isn't a world beater, but he seems to quietly be doing a decent job with the U-21s. He's clearly someone who thinks about the game a lot. I'll be curious to see how he does in the Toulan Tournament next week, contrasted with Aidy Boothroyd's (great shout for "worst potential) side last year who were awful. Actually, that's not fair, they were just an Aidy Boothroyd side. I think we could do a lot worse than Southgate, though he wouldn't leave his role at the FA.

As for David Platt, I know his record as a manager isn't great, but he was a coach under Mancini at Man City and by all accounts did a very good job. He was essentially the assistant manager (I think it was officially Brian Kidd but his was a more ambassadorial role), and did a lot of work on the training field. In "The Italian Job" by Gianluca Vialli and Grabiele Marcotti, Platt speaks very articulately about his time in Italy and England, the cultural and coaching differences, and what he learned. I actually think he'd be a very good shout for head coach (which, let's be honest, is what we're going to get regardless of their official title). He played in Serie A when it was arguably the best league in the world, and has won the Premier League as a coach.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

For worst manager? Southgate isn't a world beater, but he seems to quietly be doing a decent job with the U-21s. He's clearly someone who thinks about the game a lot. I'll be curious to see how he does in the Toulan Tournament next week, contrasted with Aidy Boothroyd's (great shout for "worst potential) side last year who were awful. Actually, that's not fair, they were just an Aidy Boothroyd side. I think we could do a lot worse than Southgate, though he wouldn't leave his role at the FA.

As for David Platt, I know his record as a manager isn't great, but he was a coach under Mancini at Man City and by all accounts did a very good job. He was essentially the assistant manager (I think it was officially Brian Kidd but his was a more ambassadorial role), and did a lot of work on the training field. In "The Italian Job" by Gianluca Vialli and Grabiele Marcotti, Platt speaks very articulately about his time in Italy and England, the cultural and coaching differences, and what he learned. I actually think he'd be a very good shout for head coach (which, let's be honest, is what we're going to get regardless of their official title). He played in Serie A when it was arguably the best league in the world, and has won the Premier League as a coach.
    Yes Gareth Southgate and David Platt.
  • Options

Paul Ince ?

Why would she hire him for a bunch of racists like us?
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Yes Gareth Southgate and David Platt.
    David Platt would be amusing. KM appoints a kerb crawler.
    Although that might have been David Pleat.
    I should probably throw in an allegedly as well.
    It was indeed David Pleat - allegedly.
  • Options
    ...and so the fruitless search to find to Britain's worst manager ticks over into another day.

Meanwhile, in an all-inclusive 3* hotel somewhere on the Dalmatian coast Nobby Vinegar wanders back up to the breakfast buffet wearing flip flops, budgie smugglers and a wry smile...
  • Options

Paul Ince ?

Yeah he'd be forever going on that he only got the job because he's black.
  • Options

Paul Ince ?

This thread is for the worst British manager we could appoint .
  • Options
    Holloway would finish me off.

I would go for someone like Jacko with a Lennie to lean on, if Jacko is willing to retire from playing. Got to get rid of nightmaire first though.
  • Options

A proper hands on manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    To be honest, if backed, Clark or Holloway would probably get us up even though they would be well down any list I drew up - the problem is more in the backing really. I would like to see Nigel Pearson get the job.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Whatever turns you on :wink:
  • Options

I would go for someone like Jacko with a Lennie to lean on, if Jacko is willing to retire from playing. Got to get rid of nightmaire first though.

Any Lennie? We're likely to end up with Henry or Bennett rather that Lawrence.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

All that I need to know about David Platt as a manager are two things:

1) As England U-21 Manager he regularly picked David Prutton of his own Notts Forest team, over our very own Scotty Parker - a look at the two players careers since then, ought to tell you all you need to know about that piece of judgement.

2) As Forest manager he had an absolute fortune to spend, and yet produced nothing but below average teams, that came nowhere near getting them up into the PL.

A definite no from me.
  • Options
    Terry Butcher
  • Options
    Tony Adams
    Alan Shearer
    Gary Neville
    Phil Neville
    Kevin Keegan

List of managers who would be great fun and almost certainly loveable no matter what:
    Kevin Keegan

I'm torn on Stuart Pearce
  • Options
    I love Stuart Pearce as a bloke and as an ex-player , but as a manager he is one dimensional.

The Kuwaiti's gave him every chance to succeed at Forest, and he couldn't manage it.
  • Options
    Basically my feelings on him
  • Options
    Such a shame as he is supposed to be a top, top bloke.

Unfortunately to be a sucessful manager, I think that you have to have a bit of 'mongrel' in you, basically be prepared to be a bit of a cunt sometimes, and not worry about the consequences.

Despite his reputation as a player, I am not sure Stuart Pearce is that kind of man.
  • Options
    Dave Hockaday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Sturrock.
  • Options
    Steve Coppell? He's experienced and out of work, I think.
  • Options
    To be honest, I'd rather appoint Lee Clark now than a better manager in a month - this is an incredibly important time, as there is a lot of work and prep to be done!
  • Options
    John Gregory would be superb for us
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/may/04/sportfeatures.footballmanagers

This makes me think some crazy non British nutters could also qualify for this thread.