Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just been told....

Comments

• Options

I've been told it's gene wilder and the first signing will be Eammon Holmes.

Behave yourself Ricky and take this seriously:-) As for the style of football Wilder plays, being an old long time season ticket holder upto a few years ago, and very rarely see us live now, selfishly, I do not care how we play, as long as we get promoted. Our football has not been exactly wonderful over the last few years and certainly not successful for the last two.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Nicholas said:

Swisdom said:

Great player. Would be a good start

Great player? He is 28 and never played any higher then league 2. What am I missing?
    Rickie Lambert was 27 and had been playing in League One when he went to Southampton. He was a Premier League striker with an England cap by the end. I suspect what you're missing is information about the player.
    But that is literally a one off. When we played Bristol Rovers in League One you could see Lambert was a class above. Also, for as quickly as he shone, he faded. He had one very good year in the Premier League, made it to the World Cup, rightly but also due to lack of striking options. But his year and Liverpool, and this year with West Brom have been nondescript.
    What about Grant Holt with Norwich as he destroyed League One... He signed the summer before they won the Division, came from Shrewsbury in League Two and was... You guessed it; 28-years old
    Okay, a two-off!

And yes, before anyone says it, Jamie Vardy.

I don't think I'm going to like the football we play next year, just as I didn't always enjoy the football we played under Powell.
    This is a good game.

I note that one of the first names on the successful overachieving Bournemouth team sheet this season is a bloke called Simon Francis. Clearly he is not the player of the same name who played for us for a while but was denounced by many on this forum as one of the worst players ever to wear our shirt.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

I can see that Wilder is the sort of manager that likes players he can trust. Having Holmes on board would give Wilder a player that already buys into the ethic. Hope this is true.

The problem is we don't currently have a squad of League Two scrappers, or player more concerned with fitness than technique. We can all agree that we could stand to lose some players, and will certainly lose others who are too talented for League One, but I fear this approach will drive away the players who under other circumstances might be able to be convinced to stay--Diarra, Teixeira, Bauer, Motta.
    Isn't the ball in our court regarding Diarra? I.E. if we want to pay his wages for another season then he's obliged by the option on his contract to stay.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Nicholas said:

Swisdom said:

Great player? He is 28 and never played any higher then league 2. What am I missing?
    Rickie Lambert was 27 and had been playing in League One when he went to Southampton. He was a Premier League striker with an England cap by the end. I suspect what you're missing is information about the player.
    But that is literally a one off. When we played Bristol Rovers in League One you could see Lambert was a class above. Also, for as quickly as he shone, he faded. He had one very good year in the Premier League, made it to the World Cup, rightly but also due to lack of striking options. But his year and Liverpool, and this year with West Brom have been nondescript.
    What about Grant Holt with Norwich as he destroyed League One... He signed the summer before they won the Division, came from Shrewsbury in League Two and was... You guessed it; 28-years old
    Okay, a two-off!

I don't think I'm going to like the football we play next year, just as I didn't always enjoy the football we played under Powell.
    This is a good game.

I note that one of the first names on the successful overachieving Bournemouth team sheet this season is a bloke called Simon Francis. Clearly he is not the player of the same name who played for us for a while but was denounced by many on this forum as one of the worst players ever to wear our shirt.

he was one of the worst ever players to wear our shirt. It was obviously wrong place, wrong time, wrong club for him and we saw the very worst of him. He's done well since leaving us, and fair play to him, but that doesn't distract from the fact he was shite for us.

• Options

katy gets "promoted" to elsewhere (who gives a shit where).

New manager
    New assistant

New CEO---Paul Elliot

Roland sill owns the club

what would it do to the protest movement ?

What qualification does Paul Elliott have to be chief executive? He wants to be director of football AFAIK.
  • Options
    Things people are missing:

- We haven't got a clue whether this is true, though one would rightly be inclined to think it's not going to be totally far off

- Yes, yes, Rickie Lambert/Grant Holt/Ian Wright/Jamie Vardy etc etc, but then - Chris Dickson, Dean Sinclair, Ross Worner...

- Ricky Holmes was an absolute beast for my Football Manager 2011 Barnet side

- The men in question were part of a team that are on a 24 match unbeaten run and absolutely wiped the floor with L2. While that is indeed one division below L1 (surprise), the gap in quality is slightly closer from L2-L1 than Prem-Champ/Champ-L1 or indeed L2-Conf (where less clubs are fully professional).

I am neither excited nor underwhelmed.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Nicholas said:

Swisdom said:

Okay, a two-off!

This is a good game.

he was one of the worst ever players to wear our shirt. It was obviously wrong place, wrong time, wrong club for him and we saw the very worst of him. He's done well since leaving us, and fair play to him, but that doesn't distract from the fact he was shite for us.

Here is a cold hard fact. Simon Francis is now an established Premier League footballer. Chris Solly is not. I doubt that 5 years ago a single person on this forum would have predicted such an outcome.
    I bet @Henry Irving probably did.....

:-)
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Nicholas said:

Swisdom said:

Okay, a two-off!

This is a good game.

While we're at it, who remembers Harry Arter? Released by a League 1 bound Charlton to play for Woking in the Conference. He seems to be doing ok now. Even Bradley Pritchard is a good example. From non-League to fourth highest assist maker for the division. I don't know if it's the improvement in knowledge of how to get the most out of yourself physically or just luck, but there's a wealth of talent in the lower divisions who are showing what they can do at the top.

So now as well as our 'literal one-off' Lambert we have Holt, Vardy, Francis, Arter and Pritchard, and that's without anyone really stopping to think about it. So I don't think we should write anyone playing at a lower level off, even if they haven't signed for us yet and are a hypothetical signing for a manager who isn't even managing Charlton yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    surprised no-one has yet mentioned Charlie Austin, another non-league to Premier League fairytale story
  • Options
    Dean Ashton also came from the level that we are now shopping from.

If only we had an actual scout.
  • Options
    As did Varney and McLeod... :)
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Nicholas said:

Swisdom said:

Okay, a two-off!

This is a good game.

Sorry Large. If you accept that this is indeed the same Simon Francis (and I admit it can be hard to accept that) then what it means is that for whatever reason he was a footballer who performed badly for us. Patently he was not a bad footballer. Of course it can be difficult to put in a performance when you've got a baying mob of fans telling you you are shit.

Here is a cold hard fact. Simon Francis is now an established Premier League footballer. Chris Solly is not. I doubt that 5 years ago a single person on this forum would have predicted such an outcome.
    I think baying mob is slightly ott. What about the fact the manager at the time clearly did not rate him based on his very few appearances he made for us, and the one thing Powelly did know about was being a full back.

• Options

Stuart Fleetwood.
  • Options

Stuart Fleetwood.
    Oh dont... I'm getting all emotional as I remember those Legends!!
  • Options
    Am surprised no one has mentioned Mark Kinsella actually... He joined us in the Championship from League Two.
  • Options

Stuart Fleetwood.
    Dean Sinclair.
  • Options
    chris dickson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stuart Fleetwood.
    Dean Sinclair.
    Now look what you've done to me!!

• Options

Stuart Fleetwood.
    Dean Sinclair.
    He's just had a great season for Hampton & Richmond (won the league). Waste of money for us though.
  • Options
    Lets play cafc lower league player plop-trumps!

Franck Moussa

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Was it Dorian Smith we signed from Tooting & Mitcham?

And Luke Holden (?) who signed on loan from some Welsh side making his sole appearance against Southampton in the JPT
  • Options

Was it Dorian Smith we signed from Tooting & Mitcham?

And Luke Holden (?) who signed on loan from some Welsh side making his sole appearance against Southampton in the JPT

Christ Luke Holden! I remember before a home game the coaching staff put him through a really rigorous warm up in the boiling hot sun. Felt sorry for the bloke as he wasn't event on the bench.

Bally Smart and wade small.
  • Options
    This is why I cant agree that we've hit rock bottom... Long way to go with our signings before that happen, we've seen much much worse dross over the last 10-years than what we've currently got at the Valley
  • Options
    Steve Barbe.
  • Options
    This was a decent thread.
  • Options
    What about that Jones character from Port Vale, when we were at Sellout Park.
  • Options
    Brendan O'Connell what the fuck was that about.