Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Battle of the East Stand

13»

Comments

• The attitude from the Blue Bibbed Wonders certainly changed post match to pre match, when they were thoughtful, considered and just tried to persuade people to stop the protesting, with no a hint of aggression.
  • i mentioned to a policeman i thought it odd that they kettled all the Charlton fans to the South Stand. Always unlikely, but imagine if that had kicked off. Very odd policing.
  • i mentioned to a policeman i thought it odd that they kettled all the Charlton fans to the South Stand. Always unlikely, but imagine if that had kicked off. Very odd policing.

Wouldn't call it unlikely, only takes one guy to pick on the opposite colour after a few beers and others will join in to back up 'their side'. Waste of policing and segregration at every single football match if it's a rarity. Silly policing but as we all know those above will get away with it.
  • The police were probably even more determined to keep the Charlton fans off the pitch once the Burnley fans were on. We all know that the atmosphere wasn't violent in this instance - but they would probably see it as having the potential for two sets of fans clashing, and that would be very difficult to contain.

.....but then we were all kettled up to the Burnley fans (Millwall of the North). I'm not knocking your point at all because I do agree but someone with big balls made that decision and if it wasn't for the good nature of Charlton fans and the happiness of the Burnley fans it could have kicked off and gone horribly wrong. Odd policing that with hindsight worked out well.

Maybe Burnley are now 'Brighton of the North'.

• I was watching that with interest. Skinny kid of about 13 was chased for about a minute by a blue top steward who came close but was not quick enough to catch him or fit enough to keep up the chase. Wonder why he didn't just grab the nearest large adult once the kid had evaded him?

Possibly covered in another thread but I haven't looked yet.

What I thought was pathetic was just after the Burnley fans had run onto the pitch there was one lad, possibly one of the first who made it on from the East Stand had a bluey chasing after him even through all the Burnley fans he still persisted until from what I saw the fan got into a pack of Burnley fans and the bluey still went after him! Not sure how it ended but frankly disgraceful behaviour from the bluey probably trying to save face.

• Shocking stories and the clearest sign yet we are winning. Attacking your own supporters is beyond belief.

If there is a bright side, it is that the cost to police matches is going up and up.

• There were a couple of independent observer groups there on Saturday to view the standard of stewarding and policing towards the fans. I saw a few tweets around 11am from them
  • T said:

There were a couple of independent observer groups there on Saturday to view the standard of stewarding and policing towards the fans. I saw a few tweets around 11am from them

Yep.