Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favourite World Cup

1235»

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

we got to penalties in 1990, unless ive lost my mind

Yes, but we were never ahead, so does the really count as closer.

IMO we were closer this year as we were ahead for over an hour and only 22 minutes away from The Final
  • Options
    Leaving aside England's performances, both 1990 and 2018 stand out. 2018 for the decent football and complete absence of the off field issues which have marred previous tournaments, especially in Europe.

But 1990 was special as football in this country was in a terrible state and dying in the 80s. Bradford, Huysel and Hillsborough, English teams banned from Europe, English grounds slummy with cages surrounding the terraces. Italia 90, Gazza and Pavarotti started the whole football revolution which brought football back from the precipice.
  • Options
    Despite a current sour taste in my mouth (maybe from the Strongbows), I have to say 2018 has been my favourite tournament.

Being 21 this is the first England team I have been proud to support, the first team that has made me even close to considering watching England is as exciting as watching my club.

I cannot wait for Euro 2020.

Well done Southgate in particular, built a team around ability and togetherness rather than a bunch of brilliant players shoved into a team that can't handle pressure or work well together.

Despite being down about it I'm amazed I've finally been able to watch a great World Cup run, at an age where I can have a piss up and a laugh with mates and family.
  • Options
    I liked 1994 because I went to a match and it was here.

But this is the best one I've seen by a mile.
  • Options
    Still 2018 despite tonight.
  • Options
    For England, 1990 - plus it’s the first one I remember as I was 8.

For individual players, 1998 - Zidane, Ronaldo, Bergkamp.

For all round entertainment - 2018. The level of diving is the only thing that has really let it down imho but that’s a wider problem not one specific to this World Cup.
  • Options
    2018 for certain.
  • Options
    Has to be this one for me.
  • Options
    Yeah I think it's 2018, the final sealed the deal
  • Options

I liked 1994 because I went to a match and it was here.

But this is the best one I've seen by a mile.

For anyone not there, 1994 was one of the worst. England didn't qualify, it was in a non-football country, the final was 0-0. The best thing about it was Stoichkov and Bulgaria.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m only 25, but out of the last five tournaments this has been the best by a country mile.
  • Options
    Was a brilliant World Cup.

The last 2 have been so much better than the two before.
  • Options
    This one was brilliant - one point for me was the true advent of the digital age. No need to rush home from work to catch Peru v Denmark, half the office was watching it on iPlayer. I've seen more of this world cup than pretty much any other. It helped there were so many goals, and England exceeded expectations. The only real downside is there wasn't a "star" or a "story" like other previous world cups.

The first world cup i really watched was France 98 as a teenager, and I don't know if it's the naivety of youth but it just seemed like it was literally a parade of the best players in the world playing to their potential on the world stage. Despite all this, you can't beat a world cup regardless of the quality
  • Options
    Was a great World Cup but 1990 will stay with me my whole life. It’s one of the most memorable moments of my childhood.

Gazzas tears
    Platts winner v Belgium
    Cameroon turning over the argies and their amazing run with Roger Milla
    Ireland and Scotland being part of it too (yes it makes a difference to me)
    Pavarotti
    World in Motion over Three Lions
    Lineker, Butcher, Gazza, Waddle, Pearce - proper hero’s
  • Options
    This was and may well remain the best World Cup for a very long time. I think VAR played a part in this, leading to more goals and less foul play. I feel almost bereaved now it has finished.
  • Options
    2018 for me
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    2018 for me without a doubt. A summer in which I was able to watch the World Cup in my new flat with the fun that came with having my mates round a lot of the time, plus of course the England progression which we all get so swept away with.

The celebrations in the pubs for the England wins were unbelievable. We’ll never forget the breaking of the penalty shootout curse. Has to be the highlight.

Was truly heartbroken when we went out on Wednesday, but that’s how I want it to be - I want to be emotionally invested in it as if it means absolutely everything. That’s why we love football right?

I’ve practically lived on Strongbow dark fruits for the last month as well. What did I even do for fun before the World Cup, cos I don’t remember
  • Options
    2018 for me. This has been a fantastic World Cup.
  • Options
    We have finally had a World Cup to top the 1970 one.
    Maybe the low expectations make it seem better than it actually was but I don't think so.
    The Olympics are great, London and Beijing especially, but we might have just seen the greatest world sporting event ever.
  • Options
    Always enjoy the World Cup/Euros. This has probably been the best one that I have witnessed, certainly the best final....and the weather hasn't been to bad either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will add this one to my list, I think its been absolutely blinding.
  • Options
    Nothing can compete with '66 in terms of result but this has been a great tournament and when they sort out the problems with VAR I think it will go down in history as the start of a revolution in football. Look at how the wrestling of attackers at corners and free-kicks had pretty much disappeared by end of the eighth-finals. Now we need those same standards applied by refs when they don't have the VAR to pull them up over it.
  • Options
    Brilliant World Cup

But it wasn’t 1990 brilliant