Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favourite World Cup

Comments

• Options
    2018!
  • Options
    This has been by far the best one!!
  • Options
    yep, 2018 it is, it's just ridiculous but in a really good way
  • Options
    Best in my lifetime.

Very few boring games
    Plenty of fantastic goals
    Big team casualties
    Almost an "anyone can beat anyone" feel after some results

Incredible
  • Options
    1970 for me too.
  • Options
    This one and Italia 90
  • Options
    This year is running my original choice very close, I'm loving it and it could get even better!
  • Options
    2018 so far has been an excellent World Cup, few boring games and negative football

Thinking back, 1994 was a very poor World Cup. Held in a "non football" country (at the time), which was a massive come down after Italia 90, and the matches were mainly dull too. We seemed to lack superstars too, Maradona was in his final druggy stage, Van Basten's career had been cut short by injuries, Brazil won but were very ordinary by their standards. Add in the absence of England, and I don't remember it fondly.

Things quickly change though, 1998 saw Zidane and Brazilian Ronaldo as the new superstars, while England at least provided some hope.
  • Options
    Just hope we're not in for a load of 1-0s to end the tournament now!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    1982 running home from school and watching Robson so early on and then falling in love with Brazil , Zico & Socrates and co and getting the hump Italy knocked them out .
    Even enjoying rare bits of Scotland scoring v Brazil (was it David Narey) and N Ireland beating Spain ??

1986 O Level time and late kick offs and “Lineker coming in on it now ...”

1990 first one in the boozer , The Plough in Lewisham next to the station hammered most games .

Went out to Japan and saw all our games in 2002 but was in pieces (boozing constantly for a few weeks) by the time we lost to Brazil so wasn’t the end of the world for me .
    Went there cos thought it would be low on the twat fan factor and the atmosphere in the night clubs in Tokyo was great , Swedish banter and whoever else .
    Being very proud when Claus Jensen came on for Denmark against us and we were 3-0 up by then (I think)
    Bizarrely due to travelling a lot it was prolly the least amount of actual World Cup matches I watched !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    '66. Every English person who can remember it is blessed. Those of you too young or not even born then, let's hope this is your year.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Still 74 for me.
    Seeing Holland bamboozle every team on the way to the final, playing like no other team before them, only to fall to the Germans in the final. Their wins over Argentina and Brazil were particularly telling...
  • Options
    Can't really pick a favourite, but I think 2014 was better than 2018 (at least so far). The Germany Brazil 7-1, goals like that of Cahill, Rodriguez, Van Persie, etc. And the world cup final winning goal was spectacular.
  • Options

Can't really pick a favourite, but I think 2014 was better than 2018 (at least so far). The Germany Brazil 7-1, goals like that of Cahill, Rodriguez, Van Persie, etc. And the world cup final winning goal was spectacular.

2014 was very good too.

Very welcome after 2006 and 2010 weren't the best (and 2010 had that annoying buzzing during every game from the vuvuzelas).
  • Options
    This one for me. The standard of football played by the teams usually only there to make up the numbers has been a revelation.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

2002, back when I had a big circle of friends who had no kids or jobs that mattered. Smoking weed and drinking beers while cooking breakfast with a houseful of people at 9am...that was a one-off tournament and I'd give pretty much anything I have now to go back to that time, if only for a day.

Haha...I remember drunkenly cooking breakfast with a group of mates after getting back from watching the Brazil game in the pub, we were hammered! Then we went back down the pub to continue the “post match analysis”! They were the days...
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

2002, back when I had a big circle of friends who had no kids or jobs that mattered. Smoking weed and drinking beers while cooking breakfast with a houseful of people at 9am...that was a one-off tournament and I'd give pretty much anything I have now to go back to that time, if only for a day.

Haha...I remember drunkenly cooking breakfast with a group of mates after getting back from watching the Brazil game in the pub, we were hammered! Then we went back down the pub to continue the “post match analysis”! They were the days...
    We all had breakfast in the village pub - and the boys were allowed to be in late for school.

I got to the pub at around 7am and left the pub at midnight!!
  • Options
    Next one in the winter will be strange, then 48 teams from 2026

This could be the last "great World Cup"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

YTS1978 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

We all had breakfast in the village pub - and the boys were allowed to be in late for school.

I got to the pub at around 7am and left the pub at midnight!!
    Excellent work @bobmunro ! My lasting memories of our post match drink were my mate standing on the pub garden table and getting his balls out to “prove” that he wasn’t ginger, and another friend putting the white ball from the pool table in his mouth, all in, in a dispute over a foul! I’m still amazed he managed to do this to this day. That was about 8 in the evening and we carried on until closing time! I’ll be watching tonight’s game at home with the kids ha!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Wasnt born for another 13 years but what made 1970 so special?
  • Options
    82 or 86....though to be honest I enjoy the world cup and European championships, don't have Sky/BT so it's nice for me that it's on BBC/ITV....if they lose I probably wouldn't bother other then watching it down the pub....not easy when there are 3 games a day.
  • Options
    Definitely 2018 now
  • Options
    Has to be 1970 by a mile - first World Cup I really watched and some brilliant football.

Italia 90 was another standout.

Enjoying the 2018 so far....
  • Options

Brazil
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Brazil
    Going to sound rude (Dont mean it to be) but is that it?

i.e. Was it simply a great World Cup because Brazil were so good and strong rather than individual games like this year?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

bobmunro said:

Brazil
    Going to sound rude (Dont mean it to be) but is that it?

i.e. Was it simply a great World Cup because Brazil were so good and strong rather than individual games like this year?
    No, not just that - there were some great games also - Brazil v England in the group stage, the semi-final Italy v W Germany, our defeat to W Germany in the QF - very painful but a great game.

But if it was just Brazil then it would be enough - they were just incredible.

I would add that my memories from that World Cup (as a 13 year old) still live large almost half a century later.