Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favourite World Cup

Comments

• Options
    66 of course. Happy days.

And 1990 for me. England did well (and should have done better)...the music...the atmosphere...bloody Toto Schillaci...
  • Options
    Definitely 2018!
  • Options
    2018 was winning up to the last 16. then we got the best game of the tournament so far followed by england winning a qf. I think it's still winning
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    A close run thing between this and 1990. Still get a pang of nostalgia for Italia 90, the last time we had a team to be really proud of, possibly excepting euro 96.
    But I think this will top it now.
    The only thing that would spoil it now would be Russian cheating, and I don't rule that out.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

A close run thing between this and 1990. Still get a pang of nostalgia for Italia 90, the last time we had a team to be really proud of, possibly excepting euro 96.
    The only thing that would spoil it now would be Russian cheating, and I don't rule that out.

Yeah but 1990 didn't have its coming home videos.
  • Options
    1990 -2018-1986

The order may change on weds night
  • Options
    2018 has overtaken 1998 for me. Was only 4 during 1990 so that's out. Loving it. How many 0-0s? 1?
  • Options
    Win on Wednesday and this one overtakes 1990.....however for all round pure entertainment and quality of football in all the games then this one takes some beating, been absolutely fantastic right from the start
  • Options
    1990, I was 15 loving football, although 86 was great too.
  • Options

Win on Wednesday and this one overtakes 1990.....however for all round pure entertainment and quality of football in all the games then this one takes some beating, been absolutely fantastic right from the start

It’s hard to disagree

As a tournament I have thoughjly enjoyed watching the games

90 has always been a massive part of my footballing experience

I remember sitting on the rdbt by the woolwich ferry absolutely gutted we had gone out

I remember dancing around it when we beat Belgium and then Cameroon

We were planning our adventures that night for 94 in the USA only for us to fuck that up

If we win weds then 2018 will be the pinnacle of my football fan life
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only one 0-0 draw in the whole thing
  • Options

And hooliganism not taking the headlines.
  • Options

We proper had a bad time of it in 90 the old bill battered us at every opportunity
  • Options
    2018 for me now. Really enjoyed the social media stuff as well. So much funny shit going round even from pundits and presenters and can't get enough of the celebrations round the country. What a few weeks it has been.
  • Options

We proper had a bad time of it in 90 the old bill battered us at every opportunity
    And that was just in Woolwich.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

I have decided that gin makes me disagreeable, and I was slightly whooshed by the coming home vids, the irony escaped me. I'm softening my line on the whole thing now.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Wasnt born for another 13 years but what made 1970 so special?

Brazil
    Going to sound rude (Dont mean it to be) but is that it?

i.e. Was it simply a great World Cup because Brazil were so good and strong rather than individual games like this year?
    No, not just that - there were some great games also - Brazil v England in the group stage, the semi-final Italy v W Germany, our defeat to W Germany in the QF - very painful but a great game.

But if it was just Brazil then it would be enough - they were just incredible.

I would add that my memories from that World Cup (as a 13 year old) still live large almost half a century later.
    The final was incredible - Brazil destroyed a very good Italian team. Carlos Alberto's goal was a joy to behold. One of the best I've ever seen.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

IdleHans said:

I have decided that gin makes me disagreeable, and I was slightly whooshed by the coming home vids, the irony escaped me. I'm softening my line on the whole thing now.
    Then you should donate all your remaining gin to me, on whom it has a most satisfactory effect.
  • Options
    Up until this year it was 1970.
    This world cup has been the best ever overall, yet no shining star individuals as in the past.
    Russia has hosted a superb sporting tournament.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    seth plum said:

Up until this year it was 1970.
    This world cup has been the best ever overall, yet no shining star individuals as in the past.
    Russia has hosted a superb sporting tournament.

The Brazil team of 1970 is the best I've seen and I felt it was a better competition than the 2018 one. The lopsided nature of the draw in 2018 has led to some poor games in the later stages.

England had an excellent team in 1970 but sadly bowed out to Germany when Bonetti had a poor game in goal.6

The way things are going our 2018 side could face its first really tough opponent in the final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nessun Dorma was motivational it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

Harry Maguire made them hairs stand up with that header

Pickford with both saves

Ali with the header

90 -18-86

But only until weds
  • Options

IdleHans said:

IdleHans said:

Then you should donate all your remaining gin to me, on whom it has a most satisfactory effect.
    Bad luck, @AddicksAddict, I've recently been advised that I am always disagreeable. So I'll hang on to the gin for now.
  • Options
    I was to young to enjoy 1990 so my first and my favourite up till now was France 98.

having got through to the semi finals though I would say this year has become my favourite.
  • Options
    2018 can piss off.

• Options
    In all seriousness I think both the semis were decent games, a good final and I think this one is right near the top.
  • Options
    The Next One
  • Options
    sticking with 1990. We came closer to the final.
  • Options
    This one.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

sticking with 1990. We came closer to the final.

We were never ahead in 1990, so surely we were closer this year as we lead for over an hour
  • Options
    we got to penalties in 1990, unless ive lost my mind