Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Away Support Next Season

edited April 2016 in General Charlton
With official relegation impending and knowing that 1,000s (myself included) will not be setting foot in The Valley next season until the Belgian mafia are out, will this lead to higher away followings?

League One is northern as fuck, the locations are hardly glamorous and obviously away days are a lot more expensive. But after 16 seasons I cannot fathom an entire year without seeing Charlton play. Going away week in week out is too difficult financially, but I'd like to think I'll be going to more than the usual handful that I do in a normal season.

Comments

• I think that lots o fans (myself included) are thinking the same as you, so our away following will improve..
  • I think you were also see spiked interest in certain games where the 'pick and choosers' pick the same games.
  • Agree with AFKA on both counts. I will aim to do more as won't be getting a season ticket, but the reality and cost of northern aways means I probably won't do as many as I intend.

Still the likes of Vale and Rochdale etc away do appeal to me more the the supposed 'glamour' aways.
  • I imagine games like Northampton will sell very well - new ground to many of us, not too far oop north either
  • edited April 2016
    the reality is were going to have 3/4 local ( within 100 miles) away games, as much as we all hate roland some people just dont do aways, im an away regular and as sad as it is really looking forward to ticking some grounds off, ive been at blackburn on a saturday when there has been under 300 of us its not great, unforunately i cant see this figure jumping dramatically next season, admitedly we should be selling out the likes of millwall/gillingham/mk dons out.

also a season ticket costs 550 tops, some northern away days youre looking at 60 quid for match ticket and train let alone drinks/food/programmes league 1 is a horrible league as geographically its shit for us.

ill probably do between 12-15.

3 im most looking forward to is
    southend - good day on the beer local so should be a good turnout.
    coventry - never been new ground.
    milwall - derby and hopefully they dont go up.
  • the reality is were going to have 3/4 local ( within 100 miles) away games, as much as we all hate roland some people just dont do aways, im an away regular and as sad as it is really looking forward to ticking some grounds off, ive been at blackburn on a saturday when there has been under 300 of us its not great, unforunately i cant see this figure jumping dramatically next season, admitedly we should be selling out the likes of millwall/gillingham/mk dons out.

also a season ticket costs 550 tops, some northern away days youre looking at 60 quid for match ticket and train let alone drinks/food/programmes league 1 is a horrible league as geographically its shit for us.

It doesn't matter how many go or the day, Blackburn's never great.
  • the reality is were going to have 3/4 local ( within 100 miles) away games, as much as we all hate roland some people just dont do aways, im an away regular and as sad as it is really looking forward to ticking some grounds off, ive been at blackburn on a saturday when there has been under 300 of us its not great, unforunately i cant see this figure jumping dramatically next season, admitedly we should be selling out the likes of millwall/gillingham/mk dons out.

L2 has got more Southern teams in it, so the season after next will be better :smile:

Looking at the current promotion slots, other than Accrington (and Carlisle in 10th) all the other L2 promotion contenders are southern, so as well as Northampton and Oxford, the likes of Pompey, Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon are in the mix

L2 has got more Southern teams in it, so the season after next will be better :smile:

Looking at the current promotion slots, other than Accrington (and Carlisle in 10th) all the other L2 promotion contenders are southern, so as well as Northampton and Oxford, the likes of Pompey, Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon are in the mix
    actually forgot there would be teams coming up, would like pompey
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure if it'll happen, but away games in League 1 could be a good laugh if the attendances are bumped up due to people not going to home games.

As someone mentioned, it's the <300 fans away at Blackburn type away games that are a bit of a slog.

The 20-or-so Northern teams in League 1 is a shame.
  • Not sure if it'll happen, but away games in League 1 could be a good laugh if the attendances are bumped up due to people not going to home games.

As someone mentioned, it's the <300 fans away at Blackburn type away games that are a bit of a slog.

The 20-or-so Northern teams in League 1 is a shame.</p>

I remember when we won League One and I only missed three games (Milton Keynes Dons / Colchester / Scunthorpe).

What made it so annoying was constantly going back to places... i.e. Rochdale / Bury / Oldham are all within a few miles of each other whilst Preston isnt much farther up the road then you had the Sheffield clubs and Chesterfield.

God I must have memorised every bit of the M6 / M1 that season!!
  • would love it if we could get good attendances to away games but even in my group of freinds we will have 8-12 for the london and localish ones, but ones further afield its a long way to go to get beat and expensive. i think an average away day is about 100 quid minimum.
  • would love it if we could get good attendances to away games but even in my group of freinds we will have 8-12 for the london and localish ones, but ones further afield its a long way to go to get beat and expensive. i think an average away day is about 100 quid minimum.

Yeah you'd be looking at about £20 for the Valley Away Coach (more if you go by train), then you've anything between £20 - £30 for the matchday ticket, plus on top of that you've got your food and drink across the day.
  • edited April 2016

I imagine games like Northampton will sell very well - new ground to many of us, not too far oop north either

That's not even as far as the Watford Gap! Seriously though did you know that Leeds is almost slap bang in the middle of Britain? That's why it's regarded as Gods own country :wink: .
  • "League One is northern as fuck, "

Suits me well, will definitely be up for games next season.
  • The popular ones will be:

Millwall
    Gillingham
    Southend
    Peterborough
    Coventry
    Northampton
    Walsall
    Milton Keynes

Possibly one or more of Oxford, Portsmouth, Wycombe or Wimbledon as well.

The others are too northern and the longer journey will ensure people prioritise the more closely located teams.
  • The popular ones will be:

Millwall
    Gillingham
    Southend
    Peterborough
    Coventry
    Northampton
    Walsall
    Milton Keynes

The others are too northern and the longer journey will ensure people prioritise the more closely located teams.

Millwall popular Brendan? It's their Cup Final not ours :wink: .
  • bloody typical that by the start of next season we hope to be living back down south and there will be lots of games up here in the north, I blame the management.
  • bloody typical that by the start of next season we hope to be living back down south and there will be lots of games up here in the north, I blame the management.

It's all about being in the right place at the right time Lancs :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

I remember when we won League One and I only missed three games (Milton Keynes Dons / Colchester / Scunthorpe).

What made it so annoying was constantly going back to places... i.e. Rochdale / Bury / Oldham are all within a few miles of each other whilst Preston isnt much farther up the road then you had the Sheffield clubs and Chesterfield.

Plastic.
    To be fair I wanted to go Scunthorpe but I'd recently won an award through work which meant I had to go Rio over that particular weekend and work wouldn't let me skip the trip.

Was praying all through that match we wouldnt win (Was a huge outside chance but victory and other results going our way could have given us promotion that day) because I wanted to be there to see it happen
  • RedChaser said:

The popular ones will be:

Millwall
    Gillingham
    Southend
    Peterborough
    Coventry
    Northampton
    Walsall
    Milton Keynes

Millwall popular Brendan? It's their Cup Final not ours :wink: .
    It'll be our cup final soon, the way we are heading.
    It will be the only positive this season if they fail to go up. That's how shizer this year has been.

Plastic.
    To be fair I wanted to go Scunthorpe but I'd recently won an award through work which meant I had to go Rio over that particular weekend and work wouldn't let me skip the trip.

Was praying all through that match we wouldnt win (Was a huge outside chance but victory and other results going our way could have given us promotion that day) because I wanted to be there to see it happen
    I did Scunthorpe 1-1 IIRC, you never missed much :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

Not sure if it'll happen, but away games in League 1 could be a good laugh if the attendances are bumped up due to people not going to home games.

Plastic.

I did Scunthorpe 1-1 IIRC, you never missed much :wink: .
    Yeah seemed that way from the Match Updates when I was following in a bar

Plastic.

So you chose Miss Rio over Miss Scunthorpe?

Yeah I know never forgiven myself...

Plastic.

Don't worry I've got her on board to help you with the Match preview next season. Score prediction will be sorted by the number of teeth she has. Top for home score and bottom for away. First game therefore will be 2-1 and the 2nd game (4 months later) 1-1.

Plastic.

Don't worry I've got her on board to help you with the Match preview next season. Score prediction will be sorted by the number of teeth she has. Top for home score and bottom for away. First game therefore will be 2-1 and the 2nd game (4 months later) 1-1.
    Dont worry... As agreed last night, my future Match Previews are going to involve my split personality.