Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Derby | Sat 16 Apr | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Derby County
Saturday 16 April 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Bond (Lancashire)

Introduction

Before I commence with the pleasantries for the Match Preview I just want to get one thing straight… For some reason people don’t like my positivity (it’s not the Charlton way I’ve been told) so going forward my match prediction will be scrapped, we all know I think we’re going to win anyway.

Since Football was invented many people have asked why we like to watch 22-people chasing a ball around a bit of grass with no reward for those watching at the end of it... They say it’s a cruel game and last Saturday it most certainly was that, heading for a draw (the very least Charlton deserved) and bang, Queens Park Rangers would inflict revenge for that Johnnie Jackson goal two years ago, leaving us with nothing.

That defeat now means we’re all but relegated, a draw in other fixtures will result in Charlton having to win all remaining matches with our rivals losing all remaining matches… Defeat against Derby County won’t relegate us this Saturday… No; Queens Park Rangers all but did that!!

The Opposition
Name: Derby County | Manager: Darren Wassall
Ground: iPro Stadium | Nickname: The Rams

I suppose the good news is that we’re currently undefeated against Derby County at the Valley; the bad news is that only extends as far as a single match… Last season we played hosts to the Rams and comfortably beat them 3-2 thanks to a first half masterclass from our Romanian Striker: George Tucudean (who we can’t rely on this time because he’s not with the club).

On this occasion a 3-2 win will be much appreciated (especially if it means that Derby’s rivals get sucked deeper into relegation trouble) yet in truth it’ll simply go some way to restoring some pride in what has been a horrible season… Of course we must remember that this Saturday could see a first return to the Valley for Striker: Darren Bent, ironic isn’t it that he could technically witness two relegations here in South London.

Charlton Team News
We must remember that there is still hope for Charlton survival so don’t expect any experimental teams to start this Saturday… Yaya Sanogo is one who will surely miss the match after going off injured last week whilst you’d have to hope that Johann Gudmundsson returns

Other than that for once there are very few injuries to comment on, Morgan Fox was substituted at the death due to a niggle yet should be fine for the Derby match whilst Patrick Bauer should surely make an appearance on the bench sooner rather than later… Yun Suk-Young will be eligible once again and having made his return for the U21s in midweek; Ahmed Kashi may feature before the end of the season.

Pope
Solly … Fanni … Teixeira … Young
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Lookman
Harriott … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Henderson … Motta … Bauer … Lennon … Bergdich … Makienok … Jackson

Comments

• 1-0 a Morgan Fox late winner.

You see I'd be ridiculed had I put this on my Match Preview!!... Where's the democracy!! ;)
  • 0-1 Loss and an own goal to boot.

we then win all our remaining games 1-0 and still get relegated.
  • Don't think we have ever won on 16th April, played something like 20 off times, 5 draws.
  • Dazzler21 said:

0-1 Loss and an own goal to boot.

we then win all our remaining games 1-0 and still get relegated.

On goal difference by 11 goals. The number of goals we conceded whilst we let a drunk Karel Fraeye take charge of the team.
  • bit of a non event for us as we haven't taken our chances and as such we are all but relegated, hopefully the team turns up to give paying spectators some entertainment, derby need the win more than us so think they will nab it 2-0.
  • In a sense (for Derby not us) its good to see Will Hughes is back from his season long injury (came on in the 87th minute against Bolton last week)
  • edited April 2016
    we got a point up there early in the season .. Rams have made a pigs ear of the season so far but have improved lately since sacking Clement .. they are living proof that 'Money can't always buy me success on the football field' ..
    Question is .. which team is the more motivated ? .. us still clinging on by the fingernails to Championship status or Derby striving for the play-offs .. I NEVER predict a CAFC loss .. so

CAFC 1 v Derby County 1
  • The big debate for us is weather, either refreshments from London Bridge trying to get in as many tourist pictures as possible, or a pint in the George, as for the game hoping for a wonderful experience as a customer.
  • edited April 2016

I NEVER predict a CAFC loss .. so

You've been wrong a lot over the last 3 seasons?

:wink:

• Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Imagine our delight when we're proven right though... ;)
  • We'll see the irratic side of Derby a 2-1 home win...
  • You know what, I actually feel really positive that we're going to win this game. I think we'll play really well, and I reckon the scoreline could be quite convincing in our favour, maybe as much as 3-0.

Unfortunately, due to the crrrrazy ways of the English Championship, stringing together a handful of half-decent performances at the end of the season isn't much use when you've been farcking useless for the rest of it.

Even if we win 18-0, there is nothing remotely positive to take from that because:

a) we're still getting relegated
    b) anyone remotely decent who's playing for us tomorrow will be sold off/given away in the summer, so we can't even console ourselves with the prospect of having a capable side next season.

I hope you had a nice holiday, you stupid bint.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Are you the Queen???

Or just have multiple personalities???
  • Now we are down, expect a good performance backed by tactical masterstokes from the dugout. All to remind us how utterly unavoidable the relegation is.

Derby's end-of-season implosion is as predictable as Christmas. With sod-all to play for, expect us to win at a canter.
  • edited April 2016
    MrLargo said:

Dazzler21 said:

I do enjoy your previews @ForeverAddickted, they're a real breath of fresh air, and it's quite nice reading something positive. However, you only need to look at the "General Things That Annoy You" and "Pronunciation Rant" threads to see that there's some really grumpy bastards on here (myself included), who find it reassuring to be told that everything is at least as bad as they thought it was, and probably even worse.

Perhaps we need a counter preview to sit alongside yours which, rather than trying to cheer people up, seeks to embrace everything that's truly awful about being a Charlton supporter - something that appeals to the kind of people who like to be kicked when they're down.
    I can try something new next week... I can do a paragraph of positivity then try one of negativity for you miserable bar stewards? ;)

Might look as though I've got a split personality but I promise you I dont... He does, he does... SHUT UP!!!
  • Oh god not another one
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh god not another one

Oi... My previews arent that bad are they? (Keep your next comments to yourself Ricky_Otto!!)
  • Can't go this weekend but sincerely hope our fragrant and sun-tanned CEO is given the welcome home she thoroughly deserves after her well-earned ten days in Dubai. Her trademark grin when QPR scored their late winner was missed last weekend
  • Frustratingly, with every game that passes, this team looks less and less like a relegated side. Kashi might be back for this game.

Cousins, Diarra, Kashi and JBG is a very competitive midfield at this level!!
  • Comfortable home win 4_0.
  • 1-0 loss, Derby goal in the last 10 minutes
  • edited April 2016

Don't think we have ever won on 16th April, played something like 20 off times, 5 draws.

Too much information. Was feeling reasonably OK before reading that. (:

1-1

• edited April 2016