Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Professionalise CARD

Comments

• To be entirely honest with you mate, fair play for coming on here and speaking out. You seem like a genuine guy - although I did have my reservations when I saw your previous posts. You seemed to sign up in November - so after the first protests vs Sheff Wed - and seemed quite critical of CARD. So it did seem a bit strange that you wanted a full meeting and more openness - unfortunately CharltonLife has got something of a paranoid mentality at the moment (understandably IMO) due to some of the completely bizarre posts of late.

Personally I think your posts are quite positive; primarily because one of CARDs aims has been to further inform the fanbase of some of the monumental cockups that have happened in SE7 - so I would hope that some views have changed in the last 5 months.
    Cambridge said:

But I don't think I'm making myself very clear. Goal 1 - hurt RD financially. Stage 5 he wants / has to sell. I worried we hurt the club so much he either isn't bothered about selling to regain £1. Or nobody wants us as a football club. Or he sells the ground as that's his best way out. So I agree with stage 5, but worried stages 2 - 3 mean no more Charlton! If we are right and we struggle next season the risk is pretty high or what none of us want. I think we should reassess that risk, and maybe act differently as a result. We have to ensure he has enough to want to sell and enough for a new buyer to want the club. I liked the idea of signing agreement on purchase of season tickets for example. That sort of idea works very well for a new owner.

What I take from this post is that you want to know that there is a real strategy to CARD, that's entirely understandable. It is a risky game that CARD are playing - damaging the club does make the club seem toxic with an unstable fan base; but I think the beauty of CARD is that it shows more passion and energy than the alternative: apathy. If we can keep the momentum up and make our grievances clear then any decent buyer doing their due diligence will understand that we're all doing this because we're supporters, supporters who are passionate and will spend money!

I can't see Roland letting the situation get that bad though; I mean Bolton have recently managed to find a purchaser and they're in much worse shape. Roland's a businessman above all, and as his dealings at Standard Liege have demonstration - if things deteriorate to such a severity he will sell up. It's all about forcing his hand and pushing the right buttons, and I think CARD is pretty well equipped for doing that. Unfortunately, for them to have any success their strategy does need to be kept under wraps to prevent the club pre-empting and blocking certain actions.

I will say that I still believe that we are, to quote Katrien, "an attractive proposition" for a new buyer. That said, I do agree that there needs to be some incentives thrown in - and I really like the idea of a 'season ticket pledge', as it were. I'm not too sure if anything is being done about it since it was suggested - but I'd even be up for getting the ball rolling and taking a more active role in it's formation and development.
    Cambridge said:

Genuinely offended about my sincerity. Next match I attend I will happily meet any of you. Agree on preofessiinal front - I have a business and family (5 kids) so not easy to attend as much as wanted in recent times. Will DM Card on Twitter. Request - when done that can CARD pls message this forum to stop the abuse. It is offensive and should not be wanted among us (although amusing in other situations - double standards I know).

I wouldn't take it to heart, as I said before - CharltonLife has seen some bizarre posts recently.
  • You don't see those bozos down the front of the directors seats these days..

Never heard them being termed that before!
  • Cambridge said:

Genuinely offended about my sincerity. Next match I attend I will happily meet any of you. Agree on preofessiinal front - I have a business and family (5 kids) so not easy to attend as much as wanted in recent times. Will DM Card on Twitter. Request - when done that can CARD pls message this forum to stop the abuse. It is offensive and should not be wanted among us (although amusing in other situations - double standards I know).

You shouldn't be offended about your sincerity.

I'm sorry if anyone has abused you.

I can't agree with much of what you have posted. That said I am not a Roland out at all costs believer. There is a small chance of him redeeming himself.

That said, I struggle with the concept of him changing suffiently, given his track record at the club, his disappointing Statement, continued support of Meire and so on to believe he is future guardian of the club rather than a destructor of it.

As time passes, I become more convinced that there will be no redemption for M. Duchatelet except through an orderly exit to purchasers who are looking for the club to succeed, rather than the club to be a part of an ill executed plan.

Until that day, until that day, it's a war.

(Rank quote from a much more important fight)

• http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2369160/#Comment_2369160

Can't the club even set up a new account for this stuff?

Don't forget this classic from Cambridge further down the linked thread: "And the argument when the ground were chanting for Curbishley out?"

That's what you get from researching the past or relying on the media version of events rather than being there.

The bloke behind me was certainly chanting for Curbishley to quit.
    I remember it well because I told him to behave.

Thinking about it, there were quite a few in his row.
    and the one in front.
    And a couple of rows further forward.

Last time I sat in the East.

Why re write history and pretend there wasnt chanting for Curbs to leave?
    Media version, shmedia version.

Don't forget this classic from Cambridge further down the linked thread: "And the argument when the ground were chanting for Curbishley out?"

That's what you get from researching the past or relying on the media version of events rather than being there.

and the one in front.

I was in the North Lower and genuinely never heard it once.

and the one in front.

I'm not saying people didnt hear.
    Just saying what I heard.
    Without media help.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

mogodon said:

imageNice Picture of Katrien after she spotted a fan being allowed within 50 metres of her match-day enclave

If I have EVER seen a photo worthy of the photoshop treatment.....
    She looks like a cross between a seal and a teenage Kevin from Harry Enfield in that picture!
  • No guesses what RM is about to say.....

I am imagine he will just be saying what he has been told to say by Roland. That's all he seems to do these days.

and the one in front.

I was in the East stand and never heard it either.
    Same at the top of the West
  • I think CARD have done a great job so far, well done guys.
  • Fully agree Grapevine ... then, if makes sense, we can amalgamate his ideas with those of CARD ... most sensible approach from both perspectives
  • Sponsored links:

• There were some people moaning about Curbs, he's taken us as far as he can etc. I wasn't particularly happy that he occasionally bought other teams reserves because they were versatile & could play in various positions but sitting in the Covered End I never heard any chant about wanting Curbs to go. Absolute rubbish. Even the few doubters that I knew always supported the team/club 100%

and the one in front.

It's impossible to be confident about what individuals did, especially ten years on, but "the ground were chanting" is really not an accurate statement (or proper English) and can't be spun as such. Nobody inside the club at the time, including Curbs, when I quizzed him at length on this last July, believes that the views of supporters were a) generally hostile to him or b) played any part whatsoever in his departure.
    Fair point - never heard the ground chanting for him to leave and nothing on the scale of Pardew's final weeks.

and the one in front.

It's impossible to be confident about what individuals did, especially ten years on, but "the ground were chanting" is really not an accurate statement (or proper English) and can't be spun as such. Nobody inside the club at the time, including Curbs, when I quizzed him at length on this last July, believes that the views of supporters were a) generally hostile to him or b) played any part whatsoever in his departure.
    Fair point - never heard the ground chanting for him to leave and nothing on the scale of Pardew's final weeks.

"Taxi for Pardew!"
    vs
    BOM BOM BOM BOM "Alan C's red 'n' white army"
  • Cambridge said:

If the posts on this thread offend you, best stay off any political threads.
  • milo said:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2369160/#Comment_2369160

and the one in front.

Yes, I remember it, I was sat in the east stand and a load of fellas in the row behind started chucking beach balls on the pitch and chanting 'we want Alan out, we want Alan out'. Then a few more in the row in front started throwing stress balls on the pitch and singing 'You east end wanker get out of our club'. On a few occasions it held the game up by several minutes. Bloody exenophobes.

Don't forget his final game when we all stuck two fingers up at him for several minutes!!!!
  • milo said:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2369160/#Comment_2369160

and the one in front.

Yes, I remember it, I was sat in the east stand and a load of fellas in the row behind started chucking beach balls on the pitch and chanting 'we want Alan out, we want Alan out'. Then a few more in the row in front started throwing stress balls on the pitch and singing 'You east end wanker get out of our club'. On a few occasions it held the game up by several minutes. Bloody exenophobes.

Amazing how Curbs blagged it for fifteen years, I never liked him.
  • All those cards we held up at Old Trafford saying "Curbs Out" and "Thank f#ck he's going".