Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next season and Riga

124»

Comments

• remember Powell's restructure of the team ? .. a wholesale change from the previous season .. this is what will be needed under Riga, assuming of course that he stays and is given the money ..
    the big flaw in that scenario of course is the question, is there anyone left in the management/director set up who knows English football well enough to spot and recruit the type of player that we'll need ? .. we have at present an aging not to say aged squad and one full with short term signings and loanees ..
    we all know that a wholesale change is needed irrespective of who owns and/or manages the club next autumn .. AND the rebuilding really needs to start NOW
  • The vital players for me are Diarra, Kashi and Harriot, they all could be big players in League One. Cousins would be a massive bonus, but I wouldn't blame him at all if he decides to move on. Those players added to Pope, Solly, Fox, Teixeira, Bauer, Jackson, Lookman, THD, CRC and KHG and we have the nucleus of a decent side. If any of Fanni, Vetokele or Gudmundson were to stay as well it would greatly add to the quality of the squad.
    I think too much change could be very damaging, we need some continuity and consistency in team selection.
  • Oakster said:

Dazzler21 said:

Oakster said:

If Riga is allowed to sign players and is given a full season in charge, will we be competitive in league 1? Without researching into this, I reckon his points per game ratio is quite high

I like the guy and hope he is given a chance if Roland sells.

16 points so far out of a possible 42

39 You really can't attribute that first game to Riga, he wasn't even on the touchline for it.

His ppg is either :
    16/39 - 1.230 = over a season it could be 56/57
    16/42 - 1.142 = over a season it could be 52

Fraeye was 0.769 or over a season it could have been 35/36 points.
    Luzon was 0.769 or over a season it could have been 35/36 points.

Powell's last year in charge was 0.9 points per game or 41/42 points a season.

Why are you showing me the stats Dazzler? Because the stats make the Facts.
    He was in charge at Hull. The club even tweeted a picture of him n the dressing room before the game.

16 points from 42. Jose Riga baby. The mediocre but acceptable face of the network.

To be fair to Jose he did have to clear up a lot of the Interim One's shit when he came back - don't underestimate how traumatised the squad would have been after that nightmare spell and how long it's taken to get them back to something vaguely resembling a coherent and adequate unit.
    Not defending Fraeye at all but Jose has been greatly assisted by the recruitment of Tex, Fanni, Motta, Suk Yung and Sanago. Before that the squad was severely under strength, especially defensively, and the above have greatly contributed to an upturn in performances and occasional good results.

• daveroan said:

I think realistically that Riga is the only option giving the owner's parsimony, so let's assume José does stay and manages to convince Roland to keep and not sell most of the contracted current squad. Let's assume though that Henderson will be sold along with Johann (2 million if a good European championship ?) and the loanees depart; how would this team fare in League one?

Pope
    Solly,Baur,Tex, Fox
    Harriot, Cousins, Diarra, Kashi
    Lookman,Vetokele

bench Jackson, Mitov, Ba ,Charles-cook, Bergdich, Holmes- Denis

Stronger than last August for sure but good enough for instant promotion?

Sorry but I can't see Bauer, Cousins, Tex, Diarra, Kashi, Lookman or Vetekele being around next season. Some are too good, some will want to leave, others are worth a fee that Roland will realise. I'd even add Harriott and Pope to the list, worth fees so will be sold. We will build a team of freebies and kids and time will tell if that is enough to avoid another relegation. I'd suggest not.
  • I believe Harriott is out of contract this summer.
  • I'm sure it's been posted before that Charlton have a 2 year extension option on Harriott that should be exercised so that at least we will get some sort of fee if he decides to move on.
    Mao probably won't be.
  • All thumbs and thumbs tonight. I meant a 1 year extension and for Mao read so.
  • "When you do your job as we did today, at least your own feeling is that you have done your job." .... Belgian Waffle !