Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next season and Riga

If Riga is allowed to sign players and is given a full season in charge, will we be competitive in league 1? Without researching into this, I reckon his points per game ratio is quite high

I like the guy and hope he is given a chance if Roland sells.

Comments

• A Roland league one budget and thought process.

If we avoid relegation again next season I'll be amazed!
  • The problem is that we will lose some 15-18 players to either transfers, returning loanees, or out on loan (as their salary will be too expensive for us in Div 3 next year) so it doesn't matter if he is allowed to sign players - we don't know what quality they will be (poss/prob not as good as Tex/JBG/Igor/Bauer) so we cannot know if we will be competitive. Undoubtedly some of our current youngsters will be asked to step up (THD, RCC, KAG, etc), but with almost no income (compared to this season) we should expect a vastly reduced squad with much less experience and fewer numbers. Riga may or may not do a good job with what he is given (as per these last couple of months), but ultimately that may well mean another relegation battle in League 1.
  • Clearly we need Fraye to scout our new players.
  • edited April 2016
    We might drop into League 2 but it might take a couple of year or maybe 3 but doubt it will be in one.
  • Sponsored links:

• We might drop into League 2 but it might take a couple of year or maybe 3 but doubt it will be in one.

I don't think so look at Blackpool, if we have players who could get us out or stabilise sent out on loan we could go straight through. Lets not forget they have underestimated the fourth biggest league in the world assuming it is something like Belgian Div 2 if they think League 1 will be easier..??? We will be at our lowest level since the 1920's.

Our promotion winning team out of L1 under Powell was good enough to finish 9th in the championship..
  • The Ujpest bloke will come in and a few pointless loans will arrive in January. The new manager will be worse than Riga, but we'll transition to a very fine indoor 5 aside team, which will appeal to Roland as a cheaper alternative to the Football League.

• I know Roland doesn't do common sense, but if he did, he'd realise that the only possible way to make some money on his investment would be to get us back up ASAP. If Riga continues to do well, Roland may give him the backing and resources to do the job. I hope Riga stays and I hope we can keep many of our better players. Our best 11 is top half Championship quality and would walk League One.
  • edited April 2016
    I said this on a thread ages ago, I don't see RD getting us out of L1 other than dropping to L2!! He will have reduced TV income, reduced attendance income and reduced sponsorship income. He is very stubborn and thinks his idea of being financially stable using the FFP, albeit the only club to abide by the non-existent rules. It will see him sell our better players and top quality youngsters, and replace them with aged journeymen and the remaining youngsters. That is a recipe for disaster and this time next season we will be having the same conversation about what will RD do to get us out of L2!!
    I keep trying to understand his thinking and business plan, but it makes rhyme or reason. Unless RD and co change course I fear we will be in a continued downward spiral. A sad situation I know but that's the frightening future for our once proud club. Sorry to put such a downer on it!
  • We lost against Colchester. He needs to have a long think about that before he sells anyone.
  • Next season we'll have Pope, Solly, Fox, Lennon, Jacko, RCC, KAG left over from this year's squad (I'm hoping Relegation Roger will have been (in)humanely disposed of) and all others will have been sold/loaned out to shift wages off the books and loan signings returned. This will leave the rest of the squad to be filled by the youth team as I can't imagine Our Dear Leader will shell out any cash (transfer fees or wages) to any grown ups.

Are we going to be able to fulfill fixtures for the under-age sides as well as the first XI? Never mind playing two matches a week, these poor sods could be playing three or four if they've got to play U21 or U18 too!

Given the number of youngsters we're likely to be fielding will the club be putting in an early fixture request for no midweek matches further than 50 miles from The Valley and kick-off times no later than 5pm as the poor kiddies have to be in bed by 8pm?
  • edited April 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Oakster said:

If Riga is allowed to sign players and is given a full season in charge, will we be competitive in league 1? Without researching into this, I reckon his points per game ratio is quite high

16 points so far out of a possible 42

39 You really can't attribute that first game to Riga, he wasn't even on the touchline for it.
    The record books will show you can and IIRC he was on the touch line at Hull unless I need to go to Specsavers :wink:
    Edit; He made two changes to the team hammered at Udders four days previous.
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?matchid=3833864
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember a few weeks ago Riga was just a puppet for not starting Lookman. A few wins doesn't change that.
  • edited April 2016
    Can see Riga going and someone like JJ given a go as they are already on the pay roll.
  • edited April 2016
    Smithy said:

Remember a few weeks ago Riga was just a puppet for not starting Lookman. A few wins doesn't change that.

Well seeing that Lookman has played a game and a half in a week you could say that its all a Conspiracy theory about him being left on the bench for transfer reasons etc.
  • edited April 2016
    RedChaser said:

Dazzler21 said:

Oakster said:

16 points so far out of a possible 42

39 You really can't attribute that first game to Riga, he wasn't even on the touchline for it.
    The record books will show you can and IIRC he was on the touch line at Hull unless I need to go to Specsavers :wink:
    I seem to remember he wasn't in charge for it was he? DM and JE were!? I am very wrong.
  • We will go down again.... no doubt...

• Anyone even remotely thinking that as good as the protests are, as much as I support them, as much as I want Roland out, that we could destroy the club? Your own comments have us at 5k supporters, relegated to League 2, an owner that can at that point either lose money by selling the club as a going concern (at what £5m) or sell the assets (players) and sell the ground at make a lot more. Business-wise there is the "hope economics" that he will just lose money and sell-up, but at what point are the assets worth more than the going concern? It's not that far away!!! So my support is total, but should there not be a point at which AFC Charlton is realistic - a scary thought, as playing away from the Valley again. Food for thought...
  • BA might be ok in league 1!
  • edited April 2016
    If Roland is still here then sure we might as well keep Riga, as he is just about the best of the Staprix approved coaches but if by some miracle we do have a new owner then Riga can leave with the rest of the no-marks.

Some customers will never learn though if they believe RD will let Riga have any serious say in recruitment.

RD will have a fire sale of any player that has any value or costs too much in wages, so say bye bye to Gudmundsson, Henderson, Cousins, Teixeira, Bauer, Kashi, Vetokele(if they can get him fit enough to pass a medical) & Lookman and they will be replaced by more kids and cheap foreign imports neither of which are ready to get bullied for 46 games by some experienced League 1 cloggers.