Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Letter to the club, challenging them to respond to CARD's argument as to why we shouldn't renew.

Comments

• The problems with recruitment weren't down to Phil Chapple, so why would replacing him resolve them?

No engagement or discussion is necessary around the sofa with T20k or anyone else. It's not "the subject of much debate". It's a shit idea from a brain-dead idiot with no understanding of football culture and has been widely ridiculed inside and outside the club. Just smash it up.

Better still, "build a bonfire" as, I believe, was the fate of our revered coffin....

Should of had a Viking burial
  • T.C.E said:

All these emails from the club saying they are "working hard" to rectify the situation. What is it exactly they are "working hard" on? Making derogatory statements?

There is no evidence of working on anything to make the situation better, let alone working hard. Poor old flaggy seems to be the only one working hard.

I asked that question and got told this...........

There are many different ways in which we are trying to improve things. At the highest level one of the key priorities is getting a new Chief Scout who can help address the issues around recruitment - the process for that hire has continued apace this week. We will also shortly see Phase 1 complete of the new £12m training ground complex.

Then at the other end of the spectrum are other things are addressing specific concerns, like the request to have team sheets on the big screen rather than the live match feed. This is something we have changed and debuted in the match against Birmingham City at the weekend. We also know the Target 20K group are going to come to us with a request about replacing the Fan Sofa, which we know had been a point of much debate. But these changes come about through constructive engagement, something which we need to do more of.
    Am I the only one left totally confused by this - they already know what Target20K are going to ask them? Are they telepathic or.. what?

Actually, I guess I already know that the club are going to send a few pointless tomorrow...
  • @DavidJarvis25 you will be surprised. Now that this letter has been given widespread awareness you will now get a carefully considered and crafted reply. Wait and see
  • @DavidJarvis25 you will be surprised. Now that this letter has been given widespread awareness you will now get a carefully considered and crafted reply. Wait and see

I will publish their response when I receive one.

• cabbles said:

@DavidJarvis25 you will be surprised. Now that this letter has been given widespread awareness you will now get a carefully considered and crafted reply. Wait and see

I didn't get a reply - I don't see why this Jarvis fella should be stealing my thunder
    Surely your answer come in the form of pillow talk. ;)
  • cabbles said:

@DavidJarvis25 you will be surprised. Now that this letter has been given widespread awareness you will now get a carefully considered and crafted reply. Wait and see

I will publish their response when I receive one.

Not if I get one first
    I know that you are working towards making sweet, sweet muesli with the CEO (I don't really trust her to manage to get anything right), but I really don't want to know if she gives you one....
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

T.C.E said:

All these emails from the club saying they are "working hard" to rectify the situation. What is it exactly they are "working hard" on? Making derogatory statements?

There is no evidence of working on anything to make the situation better, let alone working hard. Poor old flaggy seems to be the only one working hard.

There are many different ways in which we are trying to improve things. At the highest level one of the key priorities is getting a new Chief Scout who can help address the issues around recruitment - the process for that hire has continued apace this week. We will also shortly see Phase 1 complete of the new £12m training ground complex.

Then at the other end of the spectrum are other things are addressing specific concerns, like the request to have team sheets on the big screen rather than the live match feed. This is something we have changed and debuted in the match against Birmingham City at the weekend. We also know the Target 20K group are going to come to us with a request about replacing the Fan Sofa, which we know had been a point of much debate. But these changes come about through constructive engagement, something which we need to do more of.
    All fair points.
    But not enough, is it? It's like having your house falling down and the builder comes and paints the front door. It doesn't hurt but it hardly scratches the surface of what's wrong.
    Most of this stuff should have been done long ago, but since they said they are going to start doing things differently they have started to show signs they will do so. If they are going to implement all the changes that need to happen they won't be able to do it overnight.

I don't have a crystal ball so I can't tell you if these are the beginnings of genuine change or if they are just a few minor steps to try and placate the rabble long enough to start the whole merry-go-round turning again at the start of next season. I do know though, that we can't just slam the club when they do things wrong, we also need to give the credit that is due when they do things right, even if that has to be tempered with an acknowledgement that it has taken too long to get around to making some of the changes.
    Partly agree, on the credit where t's due point, but still nowhere near enough. There should be, as an absolute minimum:

1. An open and comprehensive acknowledgement of all the things that are wrong with the club
    2. A promise that these will all be addressed
    3. A forward plan setting out the actions and the timeline for each
    4. Regular report backs on actions taken and next steps
    5. All accompanied by real signs of engagement - meeting with the Trust, setting up the long promised and still undelivered strategy group, full responses rather than cut and paste platitudes
    6. Evidence that the management of the club, the coaching set up and recruitment strategy have ALL changed.
    Give them a chance, they've listened to us all season asking for a team sheet & on the 2nd April they responded. Mind you what a coincidence that they manage to do that on the day that card produce another unofficial programme.
  • Sponsored links:

• The problems with recruitment weren't down to Phil Chapple, so why would replacing him resolve them?

Exactly. This has been irking me this last couple of days, all their guff responses have obliquely blamed Phil for the shit that's been dished up on the pitch- sure he went round Rolands garden and recommended we signed Anil Koc, sure he did...but now Phil's gone and after the obligatory many-months replacement process for any role other than HEADCOACH it will, of course, be better when there's a replacement on board....
  • Will there be another pre-season tournament thing in Belgium this year? It'd be a good excuse to go and knock out for Roland at his house. The least we could do is pay him a visit :)
  • I could have written that.
  • Here is their response:

Hello David,

Thank you for your email.

We understand your concerns and value the fact of the huge part our supporters play in the running of the club. We obviously are disappointed to hear that you and your family may not be renewing your season tickets, but we understand and please consider our plans below to help determine your decision. And we know we have a major job to do to bring back fans like yourself to The Valley, and the staff here are trying hard to improve things at the club for the future.

In order to improve current situation our plans are as follows: Our immediate priority is to try and improve recruitment, which is why we are currently interviewing for a Chief Scout – the Head Coach is involved in this appointment because the scout will be supplying players for his team. The club has admitted that recruitment has not been good enough. We have shown some stability of late in picking up 10 points from 15. We hope we can continue to pick up points to remain in the Championship.

We want to keep on developing and playing Academy talent because it’s something this club has a proud tradition of. It’s why we are investing in the training ground and Academy – we want to keep on attracting the best talent. And we want that talent to first and foremost be having long and prosperous careers with Charlton. Some players do move on, some of their own choosing, but it’s why we have worked hard over the last couple of years to get our young talent on long-term deals.

Importantly we know that we have to rebuild bridges with supporters. That is going to require some hard work from all of us at the club over the coming months but we will of course do that. We are trying to communicate more, the Richard Murray Q&A and Roland Duchatelet interviews were part of that, as is this new email – we know we need to have more conversations. Something like the change of the scoreboard to team sheets as opposed to live feed came about through conversations with fans, as did making the North Lower our most affordable area.

We will keep on trying and we hope that you stay with us.

Best regards
    The Supporter Relations Team

Well David, after that enlightening and hard-hitting response I suppose you have no choice other than to re-new as they have completely addressed all of the issues and set out what they are going to do to improve.

I am so impressed that they haven't mentioned the head scout search, the academy and that we are on a good run of results like 95% of the other responses and realised that your fantastic letter deserved a more thorough response.

In fact I am tempted to renew myself.

(Tongue protruding from my cheek.)
  • Here is their response:

Hello David,

Thank you for your email.

We understand your concerns and value the fact of the huge part our supporters play in the running of the club. We obviously are disappointed to hear that you and your family may not be renewing your season tickets, but we understand and please consider our plans below to help determine your decision. And we know we have a major job to do to bring back fans like yourself to The Valley, and the staff here are trying hard to improve things at the club for the future.

In order to improve current situation our plans are as follows: Our immediate priority is to try and improve recruitment, which is why we are currently interviewing for a Chief Scout – the Head Coach is involved in this appointment because the scout will be supplying players for his team. The club has admitted that recruitment has not been good enough. We have shown some stability of late in picking up 10 points from 15. We hope we can continue to pick up points to remain in the Championship.

We want to keep on developing and playing Academy talent because it’s something this club has a proud tradition of. It’s why we are investing in the training ground and Academy – we want to keep on attracting the best talent. And we want that talent to first and foremost be having long and prosperous careers with Charlton. Some players do move on, some of their own choosing, but it’s why we have worked hard over the last couple of years to get our young talent on long-term deals.

Importantly we know that we have to rebuild bridges with supporters. That is going to require some hard work from all of us at the club over the coming months but we will of course do that. We are trying to communicate more, the Richard Murray Q&A and Roland Duchatelet interviews were part of that, as is this new email – we know we need to have more conversations. Something like the change of the scoreboard to team sheets as opposed to live feed came about through conversations with fans, as did making the North Lower our most affordable area.

We will keep on trying and we hope that you stay with us.

Best regards
    The Supporter Relations Team

Ha, ha, ha, the Murray and Douchbag attempts at communication were a total disaster and those fans spoken to must have been the mysterious 2% RD reckons he met with :open_mouth: MUST TRY HARDER!
  • So the plan is to continue exactly the same ! Well it's good that we know.
  • Is that all they've got?
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

T.C.E said:

All fair points.
    But not enough, is it? It's like having your house falling down and the builder comes and paints the front door. It doesn't hurt but it hardly scratches the surface of what's wrong.
    Most of this stuff should have been done long ago, but since they said they are going to start doing things differently they have started to show signs they will do so. If they are going to implement all the changes that need to happen they won't be able to do it overnight.

I don't have a crystal ball so I can't tell you if these are the beginnings of genuine change or if they are just a few minor steps to try and placate the rabble long enough to start the whole merry-go-round turning again at the start of next season. I do know though, that we can't just slam the club when they do things wrong, we also need to give the credit that is due when they do things right, even if that has to be tempered with an acknowledgement that it has taken too long to get around to making some of the changes.
    Partly agree, on the credit where t's due point, but still nowhere near enough. There should be, as an absolute minimum:

1. An open and comprehensive acknowledgement of all the things that are wrong with the club
    2. A promise that these will all be addressed
    3. A forward plan setting out the actions and the timeline for each
    4. Regular report backs on actions taken and next steps
    5. All accompanied by real signs of engagement - meeting with the Trust, setting up the long promised and still undelivered strategy group, full responses rather than cut and paste platitudes
    6. Evidence that the management of the club, the coaching set up and recruitment strategy have ALL changed.
    Give them a chance, they've listened to us all season asking for a team sheet & on the 2nd April they responded. Mind you what a coincidence that they manage to do that on the day that card produce another unofficial programme.
    It does seem the club are responding to CARD more than fans, although disguising their action as being fan-led. I am fairly sure the club will hand out official beach balls and whistle before the next home game. That'll show CARD who's in charge.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    as it's the Easter Holidays, I'll give the Club the benefit of the doubt and assume that this response was written by an 11 year old involved in voluntary work experience.
  • Maybe it's worth replying to them thanking them for their reply, but what you were actually trying to get was an answer to the questions you asked them. Whilst it's great to know about the Chief Scout recruitment, and that they need to make more of an effort to communicate.....it simply doesn't address your questions.
  • "Something like the change of the scoreboard to team sheets as opposed to live feed"

scoreboard? what do they we are - a cricket team??????
  • great post seth
  • seth plum said:

Their idea of a con ver say shun, is a hectoring lecture. Peppered with stuff like 'you're not helping' (to David Norris) and 'you're inciting a riot' (to Henry Irving of this parish).

Don't forget, 'I thought we already explained this several times'
  • mogodon said:

"We are trying to communicate more, the Richard Murray Q&A and Roland Duchatelet interviews were part of that, as is this new email – we know we need to have more conversations"

As a journalist (not that you need to be one to see through the sham) I can tell you that neither was an interview. They were press releases in the guise of an interview, A very different beast. If the club is sincere about doing interviews to help communicate then the interviewer needs to be able to interview, not lob a series of leg-side full tosses.

I'd hit 'em with a googly.