Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    brownbear said:
    Carter said:
    Maccn05 said:
    So much hate and mocking of AJ, really sad

Can we not praise and appreciate that he gave the UK an Olympic gold medalist & 2 time unified world champion who’s a great role model.

instead we just tear him down. He’s just lost to a world class, multi-weight, unified champ. No shame in that.

Whatever you think of his ability he’s never once ducked a fight he’s beaten some good fighters and created some amazing occasions and increased the mainstream interest in boxing - increasing the paydays for all fighters.
    I haven't seen any hate towards him on here or mocking, the usual shitheads on social media been being brave predictably but on here we've had a pretty constructive discussion of him. In terms of who he's fought and the occasions he's given. I'll say the fight with Klitschko is one of the best heavyweight fights of recent memory but he has managed to collect 3 of the 4 belts and not fight Fury or Wilder. 

Where Joshua isn't rated as highly by some is down to how he has been managed and how his limitations are clear to see, for me at least. I have nothing against him but I knew that fight was all wrong for him and made a decent amount of money off the bookies on the back of it 
    What I find most interesting about Joshua is that he tends to talk about himself as some kind of master boxer, with the mind of a chess player and the intuitive boxing ability to out-think and outwit his opponent, through boxing intelligence and learned ringcraft. This is of course diametrically opposed to what AJ really is, which is a superb athlete, with great power and a punching ability that would see him down most blokes on the planet if he connects cleanly.

Who on earth on his team is telling him that he can outbox Usyk? The bloke had 350 amateur fights, and was fighting at an Olympics (2008), just as AJ was pulling on his first set of gloves! The bloke is an absolute genius at using the ring and his experience to put you in the places that he needs you to be in before he starts dismantling you - with the exception of Lennox Lewis, I think that Usyk would outthink/outbox most of the modern heavyweights.

For the rematch, the only option that AJ has (and it may still not work), is to bulk up and bully/bash the living shite out of Usyk and to put some serious dents into him early doors, by using his strength, bulk, and punching power to bash him up. Easier said than done? Of course, but for as long as he has a hole in his arse, he will never outbox Usyk by standing off and trying to rely on pure boxing ability.
    Pretty much spot on.

As a pure technical boxer, Usyk is the best I've seen at heavyweight since the greatest pre 1967.
  • Options

A system to manipulate the outcome of boxing matches by officials was in place at the Rio 2016 Olympics, an independent investigation has found.

Professor Richard McLaren, the head of the investigation commissioned by the sport's world governing body AIBA, said the "seeds had been sown" years before.

"Suspicious" bouts included defeats for Great Britain's Joe Joyce and Ireland's Michael Conlan.

The AIBA said it noted the investigation's reports with "concern".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/58747880

• Options
    Did anybody think Campbell Hatton won his fight on the same bill?
  • Options
    The whole system of scoring boxing needs an overhaul, be it amateur or professional.

- A laid down set of criteria, none of this 'favouring the aggressor' - it is purely about scoring punches landed, counts etc... objectivity rather than subjectivity.
    - Judges who stray from those criteria outside a stated tolerance are suspended.
    - Clear injustices can be appealed to an independent arbitrator(s) who would have the power to overturn clear and obvious errors, with published justification one way or the other - VAR if you like. 

Don't hold your breath though!

(and yes, Hatton lost - but he's not the real deal and will be sparked as soon as he attempts to step up) 
  • Options
    Usyk is one of the best technical boxers I've ever watched... I don't think you need to limit it to "for a heavyweight"... the guy is a genius. 

• Options
    I have to say though, I still think tyson beats him on pure size and i reckon Whyte gives him a a very rough night out as he would turn it into a brawl... outside of that I can't see anyone getting near him. If he ever fought wilder I'd happily put money on wilder not landing a single punch the whole fight
  • Options
    Good comments from Fury today on Joshua, basically shame he lost and I'm not going to knock him while he's down by saying much else.
  • Options
    Bloody hell that’s incredibly and almost unbelievably humble from Fury
  • Options
    Good comments from Fury today on Joshua, basically shame he lost and I'm not going to knock him while he's down by saying much else.
    Positive take: as someone who has been down before, Fury knows and respects the damage to Joshua's mental health he could do by piling on right now.

Cynical take: he's got nothing to gain as Joshua has no belts, a lessened reputation and the "big fight" is not happening so why bother?

Possibly a bit of both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah probably a bit of both, knows the feeling of being down but there's just no need to attack someone and drum up interest in a potential fight that's not happening any time soon.

I also think Joshua and Fury don't mind each other at all, any needle was basically staged (as usual).
  • Options
    Boxing on now Eubank was meant to be fighting tonight but opponent pulled out with a days notice sky/boxxer really trying to push him and Riakporhe as stars but without matchroom and eddie hearn this all feels abit forced and cringey they will never be anything special in my opinion 

thoughts people ?!
  • Options
    Agree with everything you say. I really hope it’s just the start for Sky and they begin to sign some real up and coming boxers.

The one thing I really can’t stand though is a white canvas! Really bugs me!!!
  • Options
    100% i mean i get there trying to do there best with the hand they are dealt while staying in boxing since the split but trying to talk some of these fighters up is abit embarrassing tbh next they will be saying hughie fury can get to the top and be heavyweight champ🙄
  • Options
    All eyes on Fury and Wilder this weekend.  Judging by the way Tyson Fury ran through him last April he shouldn’t have too much trouble should he?
  • Options
    When you talk about a punchers chance you are talking about wilder though. He could land one on fury like in the first fight. Can see beyond a Fury KO but won't be surprised if it's Fury who gets sparked. 

Anthony Fowler v Liam Smith earlier in the evening should be decent as well. Smith for me.
  • Options
    All eyes on Fury and Wilder this weekend.  Judging by the way Tyson Fury ran through him last April he shouldn’t have too much trouble should he?
    If he boxes like he did last time no. But if he gets cocky/unlucky and Wilder does land a solid punch he can flatten anyone - he has had Fury down before after all. 
  • Options
    Fury should win comfortably, but Wilder is the very definition of a punchers chance.  If he lands with one of those ugly looking windmill punches It's game over. 

Fury is clever enough to avoid getting too close though & should outbox him comfortably 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Fury should win comfortably, but Wilder is the very definition of a punchers chance.  If he lands with one of those ugly looking windmill punches It's game over. 

Fury is clever enough to avoid getting too close though & should outbox him comfortably 
    The mistake most boxers make against Wilder is that they stay back - this gives him the chance to throw his big overhand right. He needs room to throw his windmills and in the second fight Fury took it to him, not giving Wilder the room. I expect the same tactics this time, and a stoppage for the Gypsy King inside 6.
    Totally agree Bob, he dies the same as the last fight the same outcome will occur. Wilder, as exciting as he is winging in those sidewinders he throws from somewhere down by his boots is not a technical boxer, he also is nowhere near big enough to try and roughouse Tyson. I expect a brutal repeat of the second fight and hopefully no long term damage to Wilders health 
  • Options
    It's along time since either of them were in the ring, and rustiness will favour Wilder! I fear that Wilder may connect in the first two rounds, and that it will be over before Fury can start to push forwards and lay on using his weight etc. I want Tyson to win, but I'm really worried about this one...
  • Options
    Totally apathetic as to the outcome of this one.

I've never been much of a TF fan - and all of the fannying about between him and AJ (and AJ's recent loss) has meant that we are all denied a fight that most wanted to see.

I think TF will win - but wouldn't be that disappointed if he walked onto a Wilder bomb and goes night-nights.
  • Options
    Wilder will come out all guns blazing and if Fury stays close he will pick him off as Wilder gets hurt easy.
  • Options
    Didn't really appeal to me at all when it was announced, but now it's edging closer I'm looking forward to it.

Agree with most, think Fury will blast him out relatively early but Wilder will always have that punchers chance so can't be written off. 

I'm reading that the ring walk time will be around 3/3.30am, so now I have the dilemma of staying up or going to bed early and setting an alarm. 
  • Options
    Didn't really appeal to me at all when it was announced, but now it's edging closer I'm looking forward to it.

Agree with most, think Fury will blast him out relatively early but Wilder will always have that punchers chance so can't be written off. 

I'm reading that the ring walk time will be around 3/3.30am, so now I have the dilemma of staying up or going to bed early and setting an alarm. 
    It’s a half decent undercard!
  • Options

I've never been much of a TF fan - and all of the fannying about between him and AJ (and AJ's recent loss) has meant that we are all denied a fight that most wanted to see.

I think TF will win - but wouldn't be that disappointed if he walked onto a Wilder bomb and goes night-nights.
    I couldn't agree more. That's exactly how I feel about it.

The thought of Tyson singing in the ring at the end fills me with dread but then again so do the cries of BOOOMMMB SQUUAAD.

I'll be happy when this one is over so Dillian can beat one of them up.
  • Options

I couldn't agree more. That's exactly how I feel about it.

The thought of Tyson singing in the ring at the end fills me with dread but then again so do the cries of BOOOMMMB SQUUAAD.

I'll be happy when this one is over so Dillian can beat one of them up.
    I like Dillian as he does not duck a fight but he just seems like another Derek Chisora to me.
  • Options

Easy for me.
    At my age I have to get up around 3 to have a piss.
  • Options

I thought ring walk was between 4 & 5